• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo for AMD Sempron 140 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XakeR_GR

AMD Sempron {mobo suggestion}

I would like to build a server with this cpu and I want to unlock the second core...
Could you suggest me a good and reliable mobo to do this job because I am going to install a 64bit os with 4GB RAM and also a good coolermaster PSU?And also a good tutorial to unlock it?

Hello a list of some of the boards is here
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=227004

This one I believe microcenter is giving away for free can also unlock Biostar A780L3G AM3 AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard (normally 50)

They give it away if u buy athlon II x4 or phenom II 560BE. User comments on newegg state that the board indeed has the ability to overclock.
I suppose you could buy a phenom II 560BE for 99USD and ebay it... or give it to me..

That list is almost two years old.

Most any board with the 710 South Bridge chip or later will work for that as long as it has unlocking features in the bios. So, look for 770/710, 785/710, 790/750, 870/710, 880/710, 890/850 based boards but check to see if it is also in bios, usually expressed as "ACC".

I'm sure you realize that there is no guarantee that you will get a CPU with viable cores to unlock, though that sempron series seems to give about the highest success rate for unlocking of all the CPUs.

Last edited:
Could you suggest me a mobos to unlock Sempron to Athlon?
Also I would like to suggest me a PSU from coolmaster.
I am going to use it for a home server so I want an efficiency and a green PSU.

Sempron is socket 754 wheras Athlon (x2) is socket 939....both out of production unless you can find one on ebay. Upgrade. My PSU is in my sig (not green but good):welcome:

Could you suggest me a mobos to unlock Sempron to Athlon?
Also I would like to suggest me a PSU from coolmaster.
I am going to use it for a home server so I want an efficiency and a green PSU.

What country are you in?

Yeah i have ordered the new one!
I am from greece but you could suggest me one mobo from neweeg to buy it here in greece?
What about mobo?
Asrock N68C-S UCC

Last edited:
That one says it has core unlocking ability. ASRock is a good brand but personally, I don't like the Nvidia chipsets. They are not very popular anymore. I would suggest going with an AMD chipset board. Look at boards with the 710, 750 or 850 SB chipset. Technically, all those boards should have the ability to unlock cores but you would want to make sure the bios also has that feature included. If uncertain, download the owner's manual file from the manufacturer's web site and browse through the bios section.

Do you intend to use existing DDR2 memory in the board you choose? I ask because the ASRock board you suggest uses either DDR2 or DDR3.

As always, what is your price range in U.S. dollars?

Do you have NewEgg in Greece? It can be frustrating to suggest specific models to people in other countries because very often the models available are different from one place to another.

Is there a 2nd core?..........What CPU did you order?

Yes there is and there is a high success rate of core unlocking with this CPU. Go read the reviews on NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103698

XakeR_GR, I note you asked this same question over on the CPU forum side. Just so you'll know, its considered bad etiquette to cross post like that. I also hope you understand that there is no guarantee that you will be able to unlock a core regardless what motherboard you chose. It probably depends more on the CPU that you happen to get than it does on the motherboard you choose. Its a role of the dice. If you absolutely need two cores for your server, I would buy a two core CPU to start with and be sure.

That one says it has core unlocking ability. ASRock is a good brand but personally, I don't like the Nvidia chipsets. They are not very popular anymore. I would suggest going with an AMD chipset board. Look at boards with the 710, 750 or 850 SB chipset. Technically, all those boards should have the ability to unlock cores but you would want to make sure the bios also has that feature included. If uncertain, download the owner's manual file from the manufacturer's web site and browse through the bios section.

Do you intend to use existing DDR2 memory in the board you choose? I ask because the ASRock board you suggest uses either DDR2 or DDR3.

As always, what is your price range in U.S. dollars?

Do you have NewEgg in Greece? It can be frustrating to suggest specific models to people in other countries because very often the models available are different from one place to another.

If you could suggest me a goo mobo i would be grateful as for AMD chipset.
I am going to use DDR3
As for money 80 dollars max out.
I have not Newegg in greece but i use ebay as well.

Do you mean one of them has PCIE Gigabyte LAN and the other one does not?

Back