• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobo prob?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mulli

Registered
I am having restarting probs.

When I go to restart my computer it will not boot, just sometimes. When I cold boot my computer it boots up just fine.

Is this a psu or a mobo prob?

My voltages on my psu are as follows: +3v-3.23, +5v-4.92, +12v-12.28, all are at idle.

Any help will be appreciated :)

Looks like a PSU problem. The 3.3V line is low and 5V looks low and should be around 5V. Restart problems are often due to psu.

Hey Tiger!

I tried a Sparkle 350watt psu and still got the same results. I hear they are a good p/s?

the voltages were about the same except for the +12v which was below 12v

Btw, I am getting these readings from a program called "Speedfan"

I did check the bios and the +5v and +12v are normal but the +3v is a little low

Maybe I need a true 400watt?

The key is to look for the power rating of the 3.3&5V lines as it is this that is supplies the cpu. If you look at the tech specs of XP's and T'birds they can draw as much as 42 amps under full load. P=IV (power(W)=I(current in amps)xV(voltage)) Therefore take the 5V line and say the proc draws 40Amps P=40x5=200W. This would be the case on loading the os. Most 350W PSU don't produce anything like 200W. You need to look for a PSU producing at least 200W on the 3.3&5V line.

Hey Tiger,

I bought a 430 watt Works p/s and it seems to be doing the trick! :)

My +3v is 3.38v, +5v is 5.0v, +12v is 12.34 idle. Under load with
Toast, my +5v is the only one that fluctuates to 4.92.

I guess the Deer-Allied p/s is a real P.O.S.!!!

You can check my new p/s at http://workspower.com/

Thanks again for some sound info Tiger! :D

Back