• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding an xp-m to an MP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
My apologies if there's a thread on this forum that relates to this...I tried but didn't find it.

I have 2 Athlon 2600 xp-m's I want to mod so they'll run in an Asus A7M266-D motherboard(dual processor) that's getting delivered tomorrow. I scoured the 'net for information and did find some, albiet conflicting. Since mobile processors have the 4th L5 bridge closed anyway, they'll be recognized as an MP. However, from what I've read the mobile will boot at a default multiplier of 6x. If I undersatand one particular source correctly, the next step would be to CUT the 3rd L5 bridge so as to access the higher multipliers. Cutting bridges is not something I look forward to doing, especially when it may not be necessary. On my first Asus A7M266D motherboard I was able to use WPCREDIT and WCPUID to change the multipliers from the Windows enviornment.
However, I wasn't the one that modded the xp-m 2400's in that machine so I'm not sure if the 3rd L5 bridge was cut or not. My view is that I won't have to cut the 3rd L5 bridge and be able to change the multi's using WPCREDIT and WCPUID.
Anyone have experience along these lines?

Quite simply a MP by default has the bridge you refer to as the third bridge as open and the default layout on MPs is (closed, open, open, closed) whereas on mobiles it is (closed, open, closed, closed). This is as read with L5 stamped on die the correct way round and to the right of the bridges.
You can try booting your mobiles as is however if it doesnt work in your MP set up you will need to open that bridge.

I have just purchased two Athlon XP M (Barton) 2500+ for use in a Tyan 2469 board. My system boots and shows two processors; however, it detects them at 800Mhz. I have applied the latest BIOS update...do I need to open the third L5 bridge on these?

cwaters said:
I have just purchased two Athlon XP M (Barton) 2500+ for use in a Tyan 2469 board. My system boots and shows two processors; however, it detects them at 800Mhz. I have applied the latest BIOS update...do I need to open the third L5 bridge on these?

Mobiles are made for notebooks which boot at low frequency to save power, then increase it as needed...

This is why mobiles boot at low frequencies in desktop mobos too but desktop mobos don't increase the frequency as needed like notebooks do.

You need to set the multiplier in all desktop mobos manually in BIOS or through wire tricks physically on the CPU itself if you can't do it in BIOS.

After I started this thread I went ahead and closed the only open L5 bridge and the procs booted @800mhz. I've been using WPCREDIT and WCPUID to choose higher multi's(in Windows). The wire mod might be more versatile; can only do the multi adjust with WCPUID running Windows o/s, and have to re-do the adjustment if machine is rebooted.

Last edited:
All righty-then...my current project is a Gigabyte dually running 2x xp-m's modded. I'm not in the mood to buy any more Windows products, as I was under the impression that changing the multi in the o/s could only be done in a Windows enviornment. As usual...I was wrong ! :eek: Sifting through old posts and bookmarks brought me to Fab 51's page on For changing the Multiplier under the Linux .

I haven't tried it yet(hey, I haven't had breakfast yet) but it really looks promising!

Back