• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

modding injurys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
tonight's injury:
I was cutting out the fan grills in my aluminum server case cause i'm getting ready to install a dually board and the grills were way too restrictive. I was cutting out a small piece, about 3/4" long by 1/4" wide, and after I cut it, it was still hanging by a thread of aluminum. So, me being stupid, I immidiately grab it with my thumb and index finger. *SIZZLE.* needless to say, my fingers are still hurting :(

previous injuries:
cut from cheap case sharp edge
molex wouldn't come out of hd, so I pulled hard, and sliced hand on video card
few nicks and cuts from the dremel

I haven't hurt myself modding, but one day I was cutting blow holes in my case with my single speed dremel (30,000rpm).
I live in AZ, so I was doing it outside in my patio, where there is the glass sliding door. Well anyway, I was cutting, and then whhooshh.. the bit flies out of the dremel, and hits the door. Argh crap. The glass splinters like auto glass (it's safety glass). And like 15 mins later, it all falls to the ground as I scramble to figure out what the hell to do. There was glass pieces all over the place. Luckily I wasn't injured. It did only hit the one pane of glass, but it has to be replaced. This was in an apartment, so I had to lie as to how the thing got broke. I told the landlord is musta been a kid throwing stones/rocks or the guys cutting the lawn. I ended up having to pay $230 for a new pane and installation. I may still have a pic of it somewhere.

good times. make sure you where goggles with cutting tools.

mark

Never had anything really bad actually happen. Just cut a finger with a razor. But once I was using a soddering iron sitting in a chair at a desk in sweatpants. Well I dropped the soddering iron somehow. From my hands to my crotch there was about 1-1.5 feet. Somehow i managed to throw the chair back and be standing on my feet and step back before it fell that 1-1.5 feet :D THats about the fastest i have ever moved from a sitting position I think.

My friend knew this dude who cut half his hand off using a table saw.....

As for dremals I was using these 'heavy duty cutting wheels' there was about 20 in a pack. I used thoughs to cut metal. Everysingle one would fly apart about ever 2 minutes. Never got hit. :p

when iwas cutting my case with a 10" dremel cutoff wheel it broke and cut my neck and my head flew off.
oh wait.
ive been lucky and havent had many injuries and no serious ones, just your normal cuts and soldering iron burns.

a kid in school was building a wooden case for his comp and went to split a 2x4 in half length wise on a table saw half way threw one side cracked and split off hit the blade the blade threw it back @ him and it impaled him thru his side he is ok thoe it mised all his organs and crap just a lot of blood they say a few sergury will be intended to get all the woob splinters out but in a few months he will be up @ working on a new case with a reasly big scar. sorry guy no pics teach wouldnt let me and i dont think i could have in all the comotion will get a pic of the scar thoe

BlueWraith said:
Aside from the normal scrapes of owning a cheap case, I was removing the molex from my hdd one time.. It refused to come off, so I would wiggle it and tug real hard.. then it just all of a sudden let go and the heel of my hand went right into the corner of my vid card. Not too fun.. Happened last month and I've still got a lil scar from it.

Same thing happened to me TWICE. This Maxtor 80 gig'er I'm running just doesn't like to let go of the molex connector. I now use a pair on needlenose pliars and work the connector out by prying against the HD.

Not mod related but first day of school when shop teacher was demonstrating proper saftery on the wide belt sander, his shirt got snagged on the belt, it dragged his hand till it got stuck and poceeded to grind his hand to bone from fore finger across thumb and to mid wrist. We've got the tape of it happening, you can actually watch the whole class me included just stare in shock for a good 5 seconds watching him scream before we reacted

well i am in the middle of spliting down the middle of some chrome truck door molding for my case window and happen to put my verry sharp xacto blade down the side of my thumb about 3 inches to the bone.....yea its time to quit and smoke a cig and checkout what is new on the fourms. My wife thinks i should goto hospital and get stiches.....no thanks it will go well with the other scars from my other mod's :)

just cut my thumb to the bone with a dremel while practicing for my first mod... :( (cutting a sheet of steel i had lying around to get the feel of stuff)
i was cutting all nice, then it slipped off and landed on my thumb

I burned myself on a thermal take fan controller after grinding it down so it would fit on the front of my case

i wasnt injured yesterday but let me tell you all this

WEAR PROTECTIVE GOGGLES WHEN CUTTING

it has saved my vision many times and yeasteday i broke 6 cutting disks and 2 of them hit dead center of my goggles and would have blinded me in each eye .

back when i was immortal ( aka teenager) i never wore protective gear. im glad that as i got older i goy a little more cautious because i would not be typing this today if i hadnt

Wish i had seen this thread a little bit earlier, heh, ill explain the story first, and when friend gets out of class ill have him upload the pics off his digicam of my finger..

K well awhile back at the very beginning of this project, to save money i figured i would make a custom waterblock, well waterblock performed damn good and looked like i wanted it...... now damn good being it was aluminum and kept the proc at 100F @ 2.4ghz.........well the project was intended to run a peltier with teh oced 1700+ tbred... so that was eventually scrapped....

however in the makeing of the project i wanted the baseplate of hte block to be in a X shape.....so i proceeded with 1 side doing a curved cut in it... well i didnt realise it at the time but ran out of cutting disk, so i took it to the bench grinder, got 3 of the 4 sides done with that, then workign on the forth side, it sliped on me, and finger went into the grinding stone, blood litterally squirted out of my finger, i had a nice gash across my index finger, and probably needed to goto the hospital but being broke like no joke, i just took some teflon tape, and some papertowels nad tied me up a nice lil bandaid =].... i got nice pics of the aftermath of the finger, and some of the bloodstains on the grinding stone i think, just wish i got pics of the blood squirting out

Once, I connected a little red LED directly across 12v and gnd(in a electronics project) by mistake, and the LED literally blew when I turned on the PSU.
Ha, I overclocked a LED so much it literally popped.

Then, I managed to fry a TNT2( @ stock) by watching Fear Factor(GPU overheated and burnt out).

I also managed to cut my finger on a Pentium 3 HSF(those 60mm fans are more powerful than they look).

Now, I have been working on a Britney machine(which is for my friend Caitlin Williams), and as I reached inside the case to check to make sure the front fan is working, ZAP.
It turned out that the front panel display(which is a 2.5" TFT that displays system stats(e.g. RAM usage, CPU usage, CPU temp, fan RPM, etc.)) has a high voltage DC/DC converter to generate the high voltage for the backlight bulb(which is about 1.5" long and about as thick as one of the PSU wires).

That same Britney machine shocked my friend DJ File, the shock caused him to jerk his hand away, and the sharp edge of the case gave him a bad cut(I think I should put electrical tape over the DC/DC converter(make sure the high voltage capacitors are discharged first!)).

Back