• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

modding injurys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I always cut myself...knives, dremel, sharp objects. I should clarify it's not that I'm uncoordinated or reckless (well maybe I am a little hehe), its more that Im just modding all the time so sometimes it just happens.

I've had a few real panful ones... one was sheet metal slicing into my finger from the tip along the nail... another was when a cutting disk ran along my thumb and opened a big gash, although it was deep it didn't bleed very much.

holy cow. every now and then a finger brushes exposed fan blades, with no damage, only adrenaline rush. but you guys... wow... i've made 2 windows, dremeled all kinds of stuff and used razors to cut through plastic without anything more than sore muscles. maybe i'm just that damn good... or maybe it really pays to wear leather gloves and eye protectioin.. haha. but seriously, if you ever use a dremel bit to grind the sharp edge off metal, wear leather or many layers becaue it isnt fun to try removing metal shards so small you cant see them from your hands, arms, chest etc.

mod on (in safety)

I've gotten many a cut trying to pull something apart from modding, dremel burns, a file burn (was filing a hole, and lost grip, and it scraped my hand quite hard)
paint's been on my fingers all the time lately haha
i'm sure my lungs are full of dust and steel shavings from not wearing a mask or respirator while dremeling

Ive never cut myself bad enough to need a bandage. I have stuck my finger in a few fans knocking off a few blades here and there. It usualy scares me more then it hurts because its my stuff and i dont wana F it up.

I usualy use the enlight cases and those are pretty clean on the cuts. They arnt ruff or sharp anywhere.

Well the worst for me so far has just been a really mangled finger from 120mm fan that I was "converting" from unix to pc( the color coding is dif so had it out and was just applying power to see what did what). Well the bugger got spinning up and hit my finger and shattered the blade ( to bad cause it was decent fan). Bleed alot which sucked cause it looked really cool but it was hard to see through the blood.

And on super glue I had heard that it was made as a surgical tool but they didn't use it cause it was poisonous...

You guys make computers sound almost as malicious as cars.

once i was removing a surface mount chip... so i had a screwdriver in one hand, and a soldering iron i another... i turn my left hand (screwdriver hand) into the soldering iron, not noticing... notice something smoking, thinking i burned some wire insulation... then i feel a sudden flash of pain on the tip of my middle finger..... for the next week i guess i had a huge bump on the tip of my middle finger (which means no guitar).... and then after it stopped hurting, i ripped off the skin bump, and then another week of no guitar... woo

any any of you guys ever step on a cup.....

its not so much that it hurts but bleads a LOT 500 or so little holes in your foot, OUCH the whole area turns white first, then the holes turn into little red rods as the blood flows up and then it turns to little red dots, and finaly one huge red puddle

i think i have steped on 2 cpus and leaned on one with my hand

pcb burn is a good one too,
its where ya totaly like scrape all the skin off with a pcb, (the old kind, not the new serface mount wussy stuff) its cool because you hit every nerve and most of the time you dont even bleed "all the fun with nonof the mess".

I once sat on a heat gun while sleeving my psu. It actually didn't hurt until I moved a little and put my hand right down on it.

I'd have to say the worst I've ever done is cut the tips of my fingers open (and small parts of skin off) by high speed fan blades while the fan's running. Not once, but five times in one week. To top that off, I still hadn't learned my lesson and I repeated to cut my fingers with fan blades three more times the following week. I don't mess with fans that much anymore, to say the least.... =P

No injuries from my own equipment yet (that may change however; my newly-acquired SViking has a ton of sharp edges), but plenty from others.

--dropped my mom's piece-o-crap Dell Dimension (really old one; weighs a ton) on my foot, ripping a good portion of my toenail off; it's been a year and the nail still hasn't grown back properly.
--shocked myself on same desktop's PSU while checking to see if it could be replaced w/o going through the mfr. (it couldn't; darn proprietary parts)
--ripped part of a fingernail off while fooling with same computer's front-mounted (impossible angle) USB ports; still hasn't grown back right
--the usual scrapes, cuts and bruises
--metal sliver in a finger from the case while trying to move the thing once

That computer is possessed...good thing I got her a new one over break.

Other injuries:
--last year during a stage strike, some idiot kicked a 4x6 in such a way that it landed right on the back of my head...it would not have hit me had it not been kicked. No major damage, just a headache for a few hours. That was when I started bringing a hard hat to all strikes.

Oh yes, the modding scars. When I was cutting a acrylic window for the top of my case, my hand slipped while holding the side panel / Jigsaw, and the jigsaw caught my hand, I had a nasty gash on the side of my hand :).

ive been PSU-shocked 4 times, gotten some soldering burns, and some scrapes from working in the case. i also had green fingernails for a few days while lapping a coldplate once...(water+copper filings under the nails....ewww)

Brundle Fly said:
Nice. I bet that healed up fast. Did you get it stitched, or just walk real funny for a few weeks? Man that would suck bigtime.
Both. It did heal up kinda fast.... Parents said get stiches, so did that. Only such a pain to walk around... Short Taller Short Taller Short....

man, i just got a bad one a few days ago. When i pulled it off the front audio plug on a mobo i was working on, my thumb slid up the edge of the AGP slot, slicing me to the bone right across the knuckle. (never buy the crappy cases that have knockouts for the PCI slots, they are razor sharp!!!) I was like "Ow! that hurt a bit!" and then i noticed the blood dripping into the comp. Its been nearly a week, still got the cut. Definatly gonna be a scar, and whenever i straighten my thumb the whole way out, it goes numb. Kinda fun actually. Also the time when i dropped a X-acto knife, and reflexivly grabbed for it right as it hit my table point up, stabbed myself good in the palm.

Back