• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Monitor "Out of Range" with Gigabyte GTX460 1GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigdyll

Registered
Just put together a new system as follow

AMD Phenom II x4 965
MSI 870-G45 Motherboard (no onboard video chip)
4GB DDR3 1600 ram
WD Black Caviar HDD
Rosewill 450W PSU

and Gigabyte nVidia GTX460 1GB

For some reason my Westinghouse 22w3 monitor just would not work with the video card, keeps on getting the message of "out of range" and would not even let me get into bios to boot as VGA. I put my old nvidia 7900GS card in and everything works, got my OS installed to vista and everything, made sure my resolution for the display is all according to spec, 1680x1050, 60hrz. Shut my computer down, swap the old 7900GS with my new GTX460... reboot it, still wouldn't show anything, still shows the message of "Out of Range" and stuck at that message. I can hear the HD boot up and all (with all the beeping sound) but it just would not show up with the screen.

Could it be due to the PSU? the PSU only had 1 6pin connector, I had to link up 2 other 4pins to 1 6pin with the accessory provided by Gigabyte. I know the card is getting power as the fans are both spinning. But could the PSU be a possibility?

So what's going on here??? HELP PLEASE! Thanks in advance!

Lower it to minimum res with the 7900GS, then switch out. So it would be like 640x480 or something a little higher. Then try increasing the res to what it's supposed to be.

Lower it to minimum res with the 7900GS, then switch out. So it would be like 640x480 or something a little higher. Then try increasing the res to what it's supposed to be.

Did that... still doesn't work, the monitor will just stuck at the "Out of Range" message (while all the HD are all booted up).

Now it's even worse, after I installed the most updated driver for the 7900GS, the message of "Out of Range" also showed up for the older video card. You can hear the windows vista are all booted up but it just won't send the signal to the screen. I tried booted it up in safe mode, the screen showed up.. and resolutions are 640x480...won't load any of the 7900 driver under the display setting. I also switched the card between the PCI-E x16 and the PCI-E x4 slots.. same result.

This is really frustrating... any help would be much appreciated!

OOR is normally a monitor message that the single its receive cant support the refresh rate. With that in mind, since it is getting a signal, it shouldnt be a bad card...especially b/c his other card gave the same message with a new driver install.

You should be uninstalling all drivers before you put the new card in. Do this in safe mode after you apply the suggestions from the link above. Then it should boot into windows and you can load the drivers proper.

OOR is normally a monitor message that the single its receive cant support the refresh rate. With that in mind, since it is getting a signal, it shouldnt be a bad card...especially b/c his other card gave the same message with a new driver install.

You should be uninstalling all drivers before you put the new card in. Do this in safe mode after you apply the suggestions from the link above. Then it should boot into windows and you can load the drivers proper.

First of all, thanks for all of your responses, I really appreciate it!

I started from the ground up with the new system. Brand new hard drive and everything, the only thing I kept the same was the PSU and the monitor. So initially with the new GTX 460 I couldn't even get pass the "OOR" screen signal to get to the bios page to boot in VGA mode, not to mention getting the system to start installing windows. That's when I inserted the old 7900GS and boot up the bios and installed the windows OS. Everything went smoothly with the old video card until the point I installed the newest updated driver for it.

***However I did switch the 6pin PCI-E power supply back and forth, I just noticed that if I use the extensions (2x4pins to 6pins) provided by gigabyte for power supply, that's when I also get the "OOR" message on the screen with the 7900GS. Now last night I switched the normal PCI-E 6pin power source coming straight out of the PSU into the 7900GS, everything works normal again with the old video card. Now I am wondering if I should just go get a higher output PSU with 2 PCI-E 6pin connectors to test out of the new graphics card?

*** As for the link to microsoft trouble shoot, I tried it, not possible to get it to work, i change all the settings to the minimal and then swap my new graphics card in, the monitor would just show "OOR" right after booting it up. Can't even use F8 function to get pass that to boot in safe mode at all.

***My power supply is Rosewill 450W, with only 1 PCI-E 6pin connection (Gigabyte 460GTX requires 2x6pins, therefore the provided extension 2x4pins to 6pins, with the package)
Link to newegg product page: Rosewill 450W PSU
Link to my new graphics card: Gigabyte GTX460 1GB
My monitor: Westinghouse 22" 22w3 LCD

***I am also wondering, could it be possible that my monitor simply don't work with the new GTX460?

Again, thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:
Well, that Rosewill PSU is better served as a paper weight than a PSU and it is possible it is the culprit. Its poorly made and may not even put out its rated wattage. b/c of your experience with the adapters, that just may be the problem though.

Something perfect would be a Corsair 550VX and will allow you to overclock the snot out of your system.

AS far as that link, there is nothing to set to minimum is there? Its about refresh rates...

Well, that Rosewill PSU is better served as a paper weight than a PSU and it is possible it is the culprit. Its poorly made and may not even put out its rated wattage. b/c of your experience with the adapters, that just may be the problem though.

Something perfect would be a Corsair 550VX and will allow you to overclock the snot out of your system.

AS far as that link, there is nothing to set to minimum is there? Its about refresh rates...

EarthDog thanks for your reply, I think I am gonna try a different PSU to see if it works. However is there a specific reason why you recommend Corsair PSU? I was looking around Newegg, I am deciding between Antec, Seasonic, and Corsair (maybe thermaltake?).. so far Antec has great reviews and cost about half as much less than Corsair, $50, 520W vs $80, 550W.

Seasonic comes out to be about the same as Corsair units. Your opinion on this?

Newegg reviews are mostly crap, first of all.

Most Antec's are good, some are bunk though. Cant go wrong with Corsair or Seasnoic PSU's. Any antec is better than Raidmax.

Please click on the PSU link in my sig for other known good PSU brands.

Okay newest update, I highly doubt it's the PSU's problem now.

Today I decided to wiped the HD clean and re-install the windows OS. First I tried the 7900GS video card with the power adaptor (2x4pin to 6pins) from the PSU instead of using the 6pin PCI-E normal power plug. Everything worked smoothly. Installed Vista, worked fine, changed the display setting to 1680x1050, 32 bit, still works fine. Then I proceed to install the most updated nVidia driver 258.xx for vista/win7, then restarted the computer when asked. *****I suppose this rules out a faulty PSU*****

The system went through the boot up screen, windows loading rolling status bar, and then when loading the welcome screen, the message of death "OOR" showed up again... it just wouldn't proceed further (I am sure the window's loaded fine though, cuz after the reset and the following attempt to reboot the system it tells me that the windows wasn't shut down properly asking me to boot it in safe mode or normal mode)

So what's going on here? the nVidia driver is faulty? not compatible with the MB or any other part of the new system?? faulty ram??

More updates:

With the old graphics card 7900GS, I was able to upgrade my windowsOS to from vista 32bit to Windows7 64bit with no problem at all. Once I updated my nVidia driver and upon reboot, the monitor shows "OOR" when windows are all loaded up. therefore I went ahead and booted in low resolution and changed the resolution in windows to the appropriate resolution 1680x1050 after window7 is loaded. And it worked! Everything is running smoothly now.

Then I proceed to swap my GTX460 into the system. Hoping it would work this time around, nope.. upon reboot it immediately shows "OOR" on the monitor, won't even let me get to use the F8 function to boot in low resolution.

PS. I also noticed in control panel now my westinghouse 22w3 monitor is recognized as a "Generic non-PnP monitor". And there's no driver available from westinghouse at all for my screen. Could that be the culprit of all these problem?

Any idea guys? Graphics card DOA? Get a new monitor?

I keep seeing resolution resolution resolution. Did you try setting the refresh rate like that article I linked....

I keep seeing resolution resolution resolution. Did you try setting the refresh rate like that article I linked....

Hey EarthDog, I actually have follow the instructions and have set the refresh rate of my adaptor to 60Hz (the refresh rate my monitor allows). But that's with the 7900GS adaptor and so far I am having no problem with it at all. 7900 works fine with windows 7 and worked fine after I tweaked the setting after the new driver.

However, with the new GTX460, I am not even able to get pass the initial boot up so I can use F8 function to boot up in safe mode then change all the refresh rate (or resolution). The screen simply stuck at "OOR" message and going no where. It won't even show the make of the video card/spec of the video card like every other boot ups. Won't even load up the MSI bios logo screen either.

Grabbing straws - Have you tried swapping to VGA (if using DVI) or swapping to DVI (if using VGA) just to test?

Do you have any other monitors or TV's connected to the card?

:cool:

Grabbing straws - Have you tried swapping to VGA (if using DVI) or swapping to DVI (if using VGA) just to test?

Do you have any other monitors or TV's connected to the card?

:cool:

The monitor is currently using DVI adaptor to it's VGA cable. The graphics adaptors both 7900GS and GTX460 only has DVI output on them.

and no.. the only monitor that's connected to card is my westinghouse 22w3 LCD monitor.

I can hear the machine boot up as usual, just the screen stuck at "OOR". Another reason I know that the windows boot up properly was because after I turn the machine off using the power button and then swap in the old graphics card it'll ask me if I want to boot up in safe mode due to improper shut down of windows.

Back