• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More dead D9s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't subscribe to the theory that these are factory-overclocked modules that run at high voltages. If so, why don't they even boot up at low voltages and LOW clocks? In either case this is one mystery I'm interested in solving. :)

johan how long did they last?

Actually that is exactly right. reason being is that no one made faster then 800MHz ICs. A few months back I looked and 800 was the highest they listed. I just checked now and it appears in July they added 533MHz (1066). The date I am using is refernced off of the spec sheet they post along with the ICs. (www.micron.com)
As far as how can it boot at other then what it is?

By reprogramming the SPD. There is a ctually a tool floating around so that you can edit your SPD yourself, however, this is a total warranty voider ;)

Actually that is exactly right. reason being is that no one made faster then 800MHz ICs. A few months back I looked and 800 was the highest they listed. I just checked now and it appears in July they added 533MHz (1066). The date I am using is refernced off of the spec sheet they post along with the ICs. (www.micron.com)
As far as how can it boot at other then what it is?

By reprogramming the SPD. There is a ctually a tool floating around so that you can edit your SPD yourself, however, this is a total warranty voider ;)

Of course all of those chips are also rated for 1.8V operation, by running the 2.1-2.2 "stock" voltage, you are actually overvolting these chips by 16-22%.

Well, I submitted the RMA form via Email to GSkill on Thursday Sep 13 and got a reply with an RMA number on Friday Sep 14. I shipped the RAM to them on Sat Sep 15 and was told it will arrive at the desination on Monday Sep 17. Today, Tuesday Sep 18, I got an email from GSkill saying the RAM was shipped back to me and the FedEx tracking number estimates it will be delivered back to me on Friday Sep 21.

If it is delivered to my door on Friday it will be six days from the time I shipped it out until the time I recieve it back. That is truly amazing!!

If it is delivered to my door on Friday it will be six days from the time I shipped it out until the time I recieve it back. That is truly amazing!!

That is really impressive!

Way to go GSkill!

SN.. I will have to check out that taiphoon editor too thanks :)

speaking of rma... The best rma I've experienced has been with evga... They have this thing called "cross shipping" where they ship you the RMA FIRST and you send back the broken merchandise AFTER you install the stuff they sent you.... of course they take down your credit card just incase you decide to keep your old hardware....

I think everyone should follow this trend, including memory manufacturers like crucial and mushkin....etc.

actually crucial does in fact offer cross shipping.i dont know about mushkin tho.

I agree with you on this one. CPU-Z told me that the 3 of my 4 sticks that were killed showed up as 667 in CPU-Z, not 800, like the last stick thats still running.

DDR2 800/1066 are not an official DDR2 speeds. 667 is the highest, hence the SPD chips on these sticks all reading 667 (which is read by CPUZ). CPUZ reports my 1066 Ballistics as 667, but the spd timmings are for 1066(533mhz). That said, i'm running 1200 speed with 5-5-5-12 timming on 2.1 volts which is .1 under stock. (DDR1300 is a no go it seems though)

Well, I got the RAM back today. That is exactly 5 days from the day I sent it to them. Gooooooooooo GSkill!!!

It also appears to be brand new modules in a sealed package. Definitely NOT the same packaging I sent it back in anyway.

I've been researching this topic for a while now and for the longest time I believed it had been my P5B deluxe that I had. I even exchanged the board for a newer one. It had not fixed the problem, but I didn't get that random no bootup that p5b's had in the begginning. Then I thought it was crucial combined with P5b deluxe. Still think thats killing them faster, but maybe people just aren't letting others know what is dying with what. Seriously this is a problem people.

I've RMA'd Crucial Ballistix 3 times and I'd say I'd probably be on my 4th right now had I not sold most of my comp parts (have a half computer, been using my new shiny laptop).

1st stick lasted a good 4 months or so
2nd stick lasted 3 weeks before random reboots. I didn't RMA till it got really bad a couple of months later.
3rd stick lasted 3 months
4th stick really hasn't been used, just sits in my drawer.

One thing I noticed was when I repaired large files with parity files several at a time that was what killed the 2nd stick. This was running at stock with no overclock. I think I'm going to get my rig up and running again (no point in it just sitting there), and burn these up doing parity file repairs (which technically shouldn't do anything to the ram, but in my case it kills it usually), RMA them and sell them. I'm even going to remove my little shroud I made for the ram and really see how fast I can kill them running at stock, in a well ventilated case, running programs, since thats what the ram was made for.

I bet I can kill them in 2 days.

Did you figure out what the problem was, DumpALump?

I just got my new sticks back from G.Skill. I guess we'll see how long these take to go bad.

Computer is not currently running, trying to repurchase the pieces, sorry.

I've been reading on other forums (especially xtreme) about D9's just up and dying. I was thinking of getting a pair of Gskill HZ, but then read on their forums that they are having just as many problems as the crucials.

If what everyone here is saying about most of the D9's are actually rated for 667 and that there are newer chips out, then maybe that will solve the problem.

I had 3 Ballistix 667MHz die, all of them with GMH chips, and all of them always run OC'ed. Still got 2 old Blstx 667 sticks that hasnt been OC'ed so much and they are still going strong. Considered how many D9 ddr2 sticks i had its not that bad, including replacement sticks from RMA i had 13 Crucial and Corsair D9s. Compared to Infineon chips its looking good statistically, had 2 Corsair with Infineon and they lasted less than 2 weeks, the RMA took longer than their lifespan :)

I just RMA'd 8gb of Mushkin D9's in August or so. Every single stick was spitting out tons of errors. My new set has been fine until this past week, mistook crashes in games for video card faults, but I had a hunch and decided to run memtest. This time it's 1 stick of Mushkin D9GSV (unfortunate too, not sure if I can get another stick of GSV). This is actually ****ing me off pretty badly now. My power supply rails have all checked out fine, so it's either crappy memory ic's, or this motherboard is a killer.

I just RMA'd 8gb of Mushkin D9's in August or so. Every single stick was spitting out tons of errors. My new set has been fine until this past week, mistook crashes in games for video card faults, but I had a hunch and decided to run memtest. This time it's 1 stick of Mushkin D9GSV (unfortunate too, not sure if I can get another stick of GSV). This is actually ****ing me off pretty badly now. My power supply rails have all checked out fine, so it's either crappy memory ic's, or this motherboard is a killer.

That is very peculiar...

Have you ever tried el cheapo RAM in thet motherboard?

I wonder if there is some incompatibility between the D9's and the motherboard chipsets - maybe the timings are not handled correctly

yeah doesn't make sense why they are dieing. not like too much voltage is being pushed through them or anything...doesn't make sense.

sorry to hear that INK :(

@ell
anything over 2.3volt for 24/7 use is to much... even with active cooling, mine died with a fan pointed at them and only 2.25volts.

im still thinking its a bad IC batch...

sorry to hear that INK :(

@ELL
anything over 2.3volt for 24/7 use is to much... even with active cooling, mine died with a fan pointed at them and only 2.25volts.

im still thinking its a bad IC batch...

Although some sticks like the Kingston DDR2-1200 and Corsair dominator's are rated with a factory setting of 2.35V

So you would think that 2.25 is doable...

I just ordered mine. Hopefully I won't have the same problems as a lot of other people have had. It is good that Crucial is willing to replace them constantly for people.

Back