• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard advice needed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aldebaran

Registered
Hey guys, My name is Paul and i'm new here, after a few days of forum searching i chose to join your's, you excited? :thup: So here's the deal... I'm building a budget gaming desktop (haven't built a desktop in 3years). Thought i had this all figured out until i realized AM3+ support AM3 CPU's... Go figure i went ahead and bought G-Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1333 ram along with this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131827. This MB met my needs which were DDR3 and Crossfire support. Now i realized AM3+ boards support my CPU, should i return my MB and 1333 RAM for this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo. If i return i will gain 16x 8x Crossfire Support from 16x 4x, I would also be changing from 1333 RAM to 1866. Should i exchange? Should i keep? Reasons? Is the RAM and Crossfire speeds really going to be noticeable? Is one board better than the other for a reason i'm not seeing? I will be running and buying a Phenom ii x4 965 CPU (Because i personally believe this will out perform and outlast the new AM3+ FX CPU's) along with a Sapphire Radeon 6850 1gb GPU, within the month will be buying another for Crossfire. Welcoming all criticism and advice :) Thanks!

Welcome!

To keep it simple... I dont see a point in changing. The ram speeds wont matter (you likely wont reach 1866 speeds on anything short of Bulldozer((FX chips)) anyway) in the first place.

As far as the crossfire, honestly I dont see a point in crossfiring such cards. I think, assuming you are on one 1920x1200 or less monitor, I would sell your current 6850 take those proceeds add it to what you had in mind for your other 6850 and get a better single card.

(Because i personally believe this will out perform and outlast the new AM3+ FX CPU's)
Just going to say "NO" to this. Not true at all. Check out benchmarks and see where it is the same or better across the board against PhII.

Im talking about fx CPU's that are in the similar price range. You really think it would be better to buy an FX for around $100 over the phenom black edition? Is the phenom a solid CPU choice though? Also does the AM3 motherboard seem like a good match for CPU? Will this build allow solid fps for mmo's and fps inc current games? I really dont want to deal with returning things lol. The phenom also seems to be great with overclocking.

I always say get the best you can afford. If that is an FX over the PhII, yes, do it. The PhII is a solid choice, though a bit dated, it will be fine, the FX is better in most/all cases.

So long as the CPU works in the mobo, its a 'good match'. That build will be fine for FPS and MMO's if you have a decent GPU to push it, sure. I would just stick to one card for less hassle, noise, and power consumption. Speaking of, what PSU do you have for this build?

500w. Figured that would be more than enough running a single gpu with this build correct? Also i do not plan on upgrading the cpu in the future. When i decide i need more i simply sell my build and start a new build, may be tempted to keep this new case though :) By the way is 8gb of ram enough and would 16gb be overkill with this build?

500W is enough assuming its a quality PSU... what BRAND? Also, you mentioned going CrossfireX and that may be cutting it close (I wouldnt overclock).

8GB is plenty, yes.

Thermaltake. I would not even take the risk running crossfire with it, will upgrade to 750w if i decide to run crossfire. So the am3 is perfectly fine for this build? The am3+ would just be a waste of time more or less? I do also prefer asus so i can't say im not happy about keeping with my original build.

650W would be PLENTY with a quality PSU (some Tt are ok, there are better brands out there - see the PSU guide in my signature).

AM3 is fine. Just make sure that your board supports the FX chips (i think it does, just go to MFG website for the board and check their compatibility checklists).

Will do. Based off of our convo i am not planning to return. Im off to work however, got to run. Anyone else please feel free to add opinions etc... Will check again tonight. Thanks a lot EarthDog for your advice, have a great day.

What is your budget for the whole build, and do you have any parts already that you plan to reuse?

Budget is $500 or less i already have too many psu's, hd's and opt drives laying around which helps me save some cash. I have already bought that am3 motherboard listed, the 1333 ram and the case all which arrive tomorrow. Have not yet bought cpu or gpu.

Back