• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard bent pins

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

forgottensakes

So today I just got my parts in for my new custom PC. But when I was finished my system wouldn't boot! No fans no beeps nothing. So I was going to reseat my CPU and found that it had some bent pins on the socket( i7 4770k ) and was wondering if that's the problem. The CPU has some indentations which means it made contact with the pins... Idk help please.
Thank You! Oh yeah BTW the motherboard is an Asus z87-k mobo
Pictures

It looks to me like you have at least 4 bent pins, which can certainly cause the system to not boot. Many shops will claim user error and not refund/replace the board so you may have to pay for repair or be stuck trying to bend the pins back yourself if that is the case. The small hooks like what you'd see at the dentists work best, in my experience. But you can very easily make it worse, so steady hands are a must.

I just repacked it and returning it back to Fry's. Do you have any idea how to install the plastic socket cover? And any reccomendatins for a mono for i7 4770k

Close the hold down plate and it should snap on over the top, that's how my board is. And I'm currently playing with an asrock z87 extreme 6, though i'd imagine the extreme 4 would work just as well. If you aren't doing subambient overclocking pretty much any board in the 100-150$ range should be fine. Just pick based on the features you want.

Back