• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MotherBoard Chaos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

regin

My computer is getting to old to fast and i'm ready to buy a new one, but for me the hardest thing is to buy a motherboard i read reviews but i know i'm going to make a mistake, anyone that would like to refer me to a board here is what i'm lookking for. I like to play games, and i'm an avid DVD watcher, I really don't have much of a preferance between AMD or Intel, I don't like to have junk onboard, but if i will use it and it will last then heck why not. Speed is the issue for games, i want 1.4 - 1.7 not top of the line, lots of room for memory, multipul PCI, hmm, well i guess that is it, if you can even refer me to a review to look at. PLEASE DO. I NEED HELP

THANKS

Will you be overclocking?
Its a pretty important question, as there are a LOT of decent motherboards out there, but quite a few less that OC well...

That said, you really do need to decide on a platform: relatively inexpensive systems can be built that are VERY fast with AMD or Intel cpus right now...AMDs are usually a bit more work to keep quiet, but they tend to cost a bit less.

So its up to you: AMD fans will say to only buy AMD because its cheaper, and Intel fans will tell you to but only Intel because they are faster and quieter.

Computer fans will tell you that both are good:D and you can make a great system with either!

If you go AMD I would suggest something like an XP1700/1800 right now- good bang for the buck (unless you are ocing- then go for the XP1600 AROIA or AGOIA steppings) and Epox mobo's are my personal choice

If you go Intel- I hear great things about the Northwood P4s, but I don't have one:( I think I saw something about the 1.8/2.0 Northy's being the "sweet spot" for them at the moment but I am NOT certain. And no clue on the boards.

Intel

Okay well you guys sent me AMD ideas, but not really much on intel, curious, doesn't intel run faster since it has a higher FSB speed?

I haven't followed the P4s closely enough to be able to give you any accurate info: when last I was purchasing parts AMD was the clear leader- which is not the case now. (my best Intel system is a dual P3 1ghz)

For the most accurate and up to date info on Intels I suggest hitting the Intel CPUs section- Intel folks seem to be less inclined to push the debate into threads, so they sometimes will not post replies in General Hardware.......

Or you could just give 'em a couple days to get some info in here;)

There are so many choices with modern cpus its tough to stay right on top of everything: most folks seem to have best knowledge of one architecture at a time.

Re: Intel

regin said:
Okay well you guys sent me AMD ideas, but not really much on intel, curious, doesn't intel run faster since it has a higher FSB speed?

Intel is faster. The problem is cost. If money is no object your probably better off with an Intel. Ghz for Ghz AMD can beat an Intel into the dirt, BUT Intel has pushed the Ghz bar so high that AMD couldn't keep the pace. The reason AMD hasn't been flat buried is due to the fact that Ghz for Ghz your going to pay up to 50% more for the Pentium.

If ya' gots the greenbacks, then Intel is for you. If not, then welcome to AMD-ville.

Intel

For intel,
Do you want a raid controller, intergrated sound?
Rambus, DDR?

Take a look at the asus P4S533, people seem to like this one.

Back