• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard/cpu fried?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prunecandy

ok so i was trying to install my new heatsink Thread is in the link http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640671&page=2
had issues with one of the screws connecting the mobo to the case being stripped. head was stripped...had to drill..tried absolutely everything before doing so. got mobo out of case install heatsink plugged everything into the psu and got it back on the case. went to boot and nothing..no fans moving no sounds just the green light on the mobo and the led on the fan turn on for a millisecond. i have tried re plugging and plunging everything what do you guys think mobo/cpu fail?

I'd remove the board from the case first and turn it on. That eliminates so many possible causes of start failure, even though it is a pain to do.

What exactly did you drill? Did you just increase the size of the hole in the board or was it something more? Were you careful to get all the shavings cleaned up ...?

Sounds like one of the screw had to be drilled out because it was stripped.

Were you absolutely careful not to let the drill bit touch the mobo? These day with lots of traces and multiple layer, one slip can destroy it.

Also what about metal shaving? When you drilled it, did you use vaccuum to keep the metals away? Or cleaned it throughly afterward? You may have a stray metal filing stuck somewhere causing problems.

Back