• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard for 4790k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

I am purchasing a 4790k/70k today and am looking for recommendations on motherboards. I am a fan of MSI and Asus. Basically all i need is a board for mild overclocking and capable of SLI. I would prefer it to be ATX but I'd consider MATX

Also needs to be $100ish or less

Any major reason on not waiting for Skylake CPU availability to improve? The only thing you will need in addition is DDR4 memory (which I can understand could be a sticking point)

I assume you will be buying from your local microcenter to save some money in a combo price?

The ASRock Extreme 4 is $119
http://www.microcenter.com/product/446593/Z97_Extreme_4_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

I believe if you get a CPU+Mobo combo they cut off about $40 from your total which makes it under your budget mark.

Last edited:
Go Skylake mate. There are also plenty of boards on that platform in your price range. MSI and ASUS both look really good, but since it's so new we can't recommend to many as of yet, but from what has been seen on the net, they look & run good.

I would, but I have an offer for an i7 4790k for $295 and an i7 4770k possibly lower. Skylake would also mean I need to buy new DDR4 along with the board and cpu. I don't see the justification in spending an extra $80 for the CPU and $60 for 8gb of ram, plus any extra cost for newer boards. I would have to deal with all of that and go in without knowing if there will be any problems with their new chips. All for an extra ~10% performance gain on a CPU which is already a powerhouse for gaming?

You're also buying in to future upgrades instead of a dead socket, JM2C.
I'd personally go Skylake with it, but it's not my money to spend.

That said, the ASRock Z97 Extreme4 and Extreme6 are very solid boards. You may be able to find one used in your price range.
I think the Z97 anniversary would do what you need also.

But... but the 4790k and GTX 970 are like peanut butter and jelly... cookies and milk... Chinese buffet and vanilla pudding! But I guess the 6700k might be better tasting PB, cookies, or Chinese food haha!

I'd also need a new cooler though (unless lga1150 and 51 are the same) :p And that Z97 only has one PCIE 16x slot so no SLI btw

Last edited:
All LGA 115X are the same mounting.

Any Z chipset gets cut to x8/x8 for SLI unless it has a PLX chip.

if money is a real sticky point i have no issue with going 4790k just make sure the board has the features you need, the ext4 or six has proven to be the way to go. I thought I was reading that you could use ddr3 or ddr4 with the z107 chipset, am I wrong with this?
just remeber, any cpu upgrade is going to be a motherboard also from here on out.

if money is a real sticky point i have no issue with going 4790k just make sure the board has the features you need, the ext4 or six has proven to be the way to go. I thought I was reading that you could use ddr3 or ddr4 with the z107 chipset, am I wrong with this?
just remeber, any cpu upgrade is going to be a motherboard also from here on out.

The spec on the 6700K is DDR3L or DDR4.
That said, you would have to find a board supporting DDR3L.

yea, I'm re looking that all up, looks like going ddr4 is the only thing you can do.

yea, I'm re looking that all up, looks like going ddr4 is the only thing you can do.

Yep, the vast majority of high end boards will be DDR4. There will be some budget boards that utilize DDR3L, but they will most likely be for locked clock systems.

Im thinking about an MSI Gaming 5. It basically is the exact board I have now for intel.

Solid board have one in my main rig and a spare for benching (bent the pins on the socket so bought another then fixed it) runs my daily 4790 at 4.8 and hit 5.7 on my 4690 on ln2

On another note, has anyone ever had an experience with "Open Box" items on newegg?

Everything seems to be fine after the installs, but my CPU is running a constant 4.4ghz all time

Last edited:
Back