• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard for Thuban

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandyduff

Great Scot! Member
Are there any motherboards that support the Hex core processor out of the box without the need of a bios update...?

Edit: Also, can the bios be flashed with the Hex core processor installed or does it have to be an older, supported processor installed...?

Last edited:
You could flash the BIOS with hex core installed, but you need, do it from an usb or any app that mobo could have

Ah, so i can flash the bios with the hex core installed...? Beezer... I'm building an AMD build for a mate but i know hee-haw about AMD and i wasn't sure if you could flash the bios with the hex core installed...

Cheers Guys... :beer:

And you're sure that one is?

Most boards that are recently built will be "X6 Ready" out of the box. The problem is knowing how many months the board has spent on some shelf. I've never seen a production date on a motherboard so there's no way to tell what BIOS is installed on it. But I supposed if that's a brand new model and there are no BIOS's without X6 support (though nothing actually says that) then it would be "X6 Ready" ...

And you're sure that one is?

Most boards that are recently built will be "X6 Ready" out of the box. The problem is knowing how many months the board has spent on some shelf. I've never seen a production date on a motherboard so there's no way to tell what BIOS is installed on it. But I supposed if that's a brand new model and there are no BIOS's without X6 support (though nothing actually says that) then it would be "X6 Ready" ...

Yes (well as reasonably sure as can be). From the Asrock 870 Extreme3 CPU Support List, it says ALL for Since BIOS (last column). A pal of mine bought his from newegg.com 2 months ago and it had BIOS v1.10 and he was able to install his X6 without a problem. From the 870 Extreme3 BIOS page, they are now up to v1.50. I take it that most people on here are in the US and buy from newegg. This board is a hot seller and is always sold out there. My bet is that newegg is now selling boards that have the most current BIOS.

But nothing is guaranteed. :)

I'm in the minority as i'm not located in the U.S, but if i can update the bios with the hex core processor installed, that's me sorted!!

So what motherboard do you guys suggest...? Aiming to go for a modest 3.6GHz OC...

i will be using www.scan.co.uk for purchases...

Back