• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Mounting a Zalman 9700 on 9500 mounting kit.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lemerex

Registered
Ok, i know that this may sound stupid, but would it work if i have the mounting kit from my zalman 9500 and wanted to put the zalman 9700 on it? I have used the 9700 in the past with my AM2 socket and 775 socket with great success. So should it work? Reason why i am asking, is my 9500 came with a 3 pin connector instead of a 4 pin, so it is running full blast, and the machine is right next to me, like a foot away from me.

From what I can tell, the bracket looks almost identical. But, I wouldn't suggest "upgrading" to the 9700 if you have to buy it.

Does your BIOS have an option to control the fan speed through PWM or voltage? I've seen some boards with this option, and you want "voltage". PWM is the 4 pin version.

If it doesn't, there are a few options:
1) Get a better heatsink (the 212+ is a good cheap one and has a 4 pin connector)
2) Move the connector to a different spot on the motherboard that has voltage control (not ideal)
3) Get a fan controller to vary the speed (not ideal, might as well get the 212+)

From what I can tell, the bracket looks almost identical. But, I wouldn't suggest "upgrading" to the 9700 if you have to buy it.

Does your BIOS have an option to control the fan speed through PWM or voltage? I've seen some boards with this option, and you want "voltage". PWM is the 4 pin version.

If it doesn't, there are a few options:
1) Get a better heatsink (the 212+ is a good cheap one and has a 4 pin connector)
2) Move the connector to a different spot on the motherboard that has voltage control (not ideal)
3) Get a fan controller to vary the speed (not ideal, might as well get the 212+)

It probably does. I just didn't take time to snoop around. The 9700 is a PWM and the 9500 that i have isn't. And i do already own the 9700, i just have the old 775 socket bracket. That's why I was asking. But i did add in a 92mm fan on my side panel and my temps dropped around 4 degrees. I also ordered another 92mm Gelid fan for exhaust. I have a 80mm for exhaust, and a new 120mm Aerocool Shark.

I was notified that the 212+ is not better than the 9500. If you want to replace the heatsink, post your budget here and we can suggest a good one for you.

I was notified that the 212+ is not better than the 9500. If you want to replace the heatsink, post your budget here and we can suggest a good one for you.

It's not the budget that i am concerned about, but size. I have the coolermaster elite 343, so size is the only issue. And i do have a cm690. But it would look kind of weird with a mATX mobo. And the cm690 is just pure big. It does have a tone of space so if i wanted to, i could put liquid cooling on it. That's the only dilemma i have. Unless there is a liquid cooling solution that can have a 92mm fan on it instead of a 120mm.

The only thing is, its going to be a bit louder though. The actual heatsink isn't required to have a fan at all. But i just wanted to add a quiet fan that has nice airflow which i think the cougar would have.

You can undervolt the fan either by plugging it into the motherboard or using a fan controller, but there are other ones available. The reason I suggested the one I did is that they are the same price as the ones below, but it offers the flexibility of running faster if you need it. Also, these are much thicker than the one you linked, which means extra pressure and cooling at the same volume.

Medium speed: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa12mesp.html
Ultra quiet: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa12ulqu.html

You can undervolt the fan either by plugging it into the motherboard or using a fan controller, but there are other ones available. The reason I suggested the one I did is that they are the same price as the ones below, but it offers the flexibility of running faster if you need it. Also, these are much thicker than the one you linked, which means extra pressure and cooling at the same volume.

Medium speed: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa12mesp.html
Ultra quiet: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa12ulqu.html

Even though they are thicker, and i do appreciate the searching for them, they are still louder though, with almost the same amount of air coming through.

Louder than the Cougar? The numbers on that are a flat out lie. 70 cfm of air moving is more than 17.5db. With numbers like that, I wouldn't even touch it.

The Panaflo is rated sanely.

thideras is right. I recently bought two Delta AFB1212M fans - just standard 120x120x25 like any other case fan - and rated at 73 CFM (2200rpm) their max sound pressure is measured (properly, with proper instruments in an anechoic chamber) at 38dB. This is why I love server fans so much: the manufacturers don't feel the need to tell any outright lies on the spec sheets - you get what they say you get.

I'm not saying the Cougar fans aren't "good" - I'm sure the Cougar is right up there with other good fans. But 70CFM at only 18dB and 1500rpm? Gimme a break. :)

Again, for that price range, get a Panaflo. If you want cheap, get a Yate Loon. You can find them for $4 each.

Actually no again Corey. :p The one in the other thread was a CNPS9900 Max, which is a much better heatsink than a 9500. The 9500 is a pretty much dead dog as far as cooling a quad core proc and marginal for a dual core. The 9700 is somewhere in between the 9500 and 9900 Max as far as cooling goes. Probably not quite as good as a Hyper 212+, but close.

As for a heatsink recommendation; since you already own the 9700 I would try it out with the 9500 mounting bracket. If you need to buy a new heatsink because it won't work or doesn't cool well enough, I would suggest a Thermalright True Spirit or True Spirit 140. Both can be bought off Amazon.com from Nan's Gaming Gear. The True Spirit sells for $29.95 and the True Spirit 140 sells for $39.95.

EDIT: The Panaflo L1BX fans really are not annoying at all. Like stated above, some fan manufacturers play games with cfm and noise numbers. Physics doesn't lie like PR people will and there is no earthly way that the Cougar fan can move that much air that quietly.

Actually no again Corey. :p The one in the other thread was a CNPS9900 Max, which is a much better heatsink than a 9500. The 9500 is a pretty much dead dog as far as cooling a quad core proc and marginal for a dual core. The 9700 is somewhere in between the 9500 and 9900 Max as far as cooling goes. Probably not quite as good as a Hyper 212+, but close.

As for a heatsink recommendation; since you already own the 9700 I would try it out with the 9500 mounting bracket. If you need to buy a new heatsink because it won't work or doesn't cool well enough, I would suggest a Thermalright True Spirit or True Spirit 140. Both can be bought off Amazon.com from Nan's Gaming Gear. The True Spirit sells for $29.95 and the True Spirit 140 sells for $39.95.

EDIT: The Panaflo L1BX fans really are not annoying at all. Like stated above, some fan manufacturers play games with cfm and noise numbers. Physics doesn't lie like PR people will and there is no earthly way that the Cougar fan can move that much air that quietly.

The heatsink itself does do a good job cooling my i7, right now its idling around 30C. Under load (intel Burn Test) it got up to about 65C. I'm not complaining bout the cooling, just the thing is uber loud. It's running full blast since it isn't a PWM. I know i can lower the voltage, but that defeats the purpose. I was looking at a silverstone heatsink and wanted to add a cougar PWM fan to it. I have it posted a bit higher so you can see which ones i mean. It is a small micro ATX case also that i have to be worried about.

I'm just going to go lay down now. Don't mind me.

I take it that you are talking about the case in your sig, the Coolermaster Elite 343, right? I see what you mean, it won't quite fit most tower style heatsinks that use 120 mm fans. In your case, I would suggest going with the Thermalright AXP-140-RT instead of that Silverstone heatsink. The Thermalright is a known good performing heatsink and can do it relatively quietly; the Silverstone is a bit on an unknown to me. The Thermalright also comes with a 140 mm fan too. And you can also install a different 140 or 120 mm fan if you find the included fan to be too noisy for your tastes. The AXP-140 is slightly less than 100 mm tall with the fan installed, which should give plenty of clearance in your case.

I take it that you are talking about the case in your sig, the Coolermaster Elite 343, right? I see what you mean, it won't quite fit most tower style heatsinks that use 120 mm fans. In your case, I would suggest going with the Thermalright AXP-140-RT instead of that Silverstone heatsink. The Thermalright is a known good performing heatsink and can do it relatively quietly; the Silverstone is a bit on an unknown to me. The Thermalright also comes with a 140 mm fan too. And you can also install a different 140 or 120 mm fan if you find the included fan to be too noisy for your tastes. The AXP-140 is slightly less than 100 mm tall with the fan installed, which should give plenty of clearance in your case.

I will definitely think about it. Thanks!
Only other thing i can think about, i could get my cm690 out of the attic and do something with it. I am still debating. I know that case is just pure awesomeness all around :D

Back