• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mozilla help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrm1957

I just downloaded Mozilla thunderbird 1.0 for Linux. When I try to set up the email portion it asks me for the info for using a modem. I'm on cable but don't see any settings for that and don't know how to do it.

Why is it asking for your modem info? I am assuming you set up the email account through a pop3 provider, in which you just have to specify the smtp. If you are running email accounts from a server you are hosted on your computer, that is something different.

Hmmm, just out of curiosity, how do you have the email client setup without a server? I am not fully understanding what you are doing, if that becomes apparent I could help a lot more.

If you're using e-mail through your cable provider, you'll still have to enter a POP3 and SMTP server addresses. This has nothing to do with dial-up vs. direct LAN connection. Thunderbird has to know where to look for your e-mail. Contact your ISP, or check out their web page for the answer.

Example - your ISP is XXX.com
Your e-mail - [email protected]
Outgoing mail server - smtp.XXX.com
Incoming mail server - pop3.XXX.com
News (Usenet) server - nntp.XXX.com

The servers will probably look like this, or be a slight variant.

X1g

X1ggy said:
If you're using e-mail through your cable provider, you'll still have to enter a POP3 and SMTP server addresses. This has nothing to do with dial-up vs. direct LAN connection. Thunderbird has to know where to look for your e-mail. Contact your ISP, or check out their web page for the answer.

Example - your ISP is XXX.com
Your e-mail - [email protected]
Outgoing mail server - smtp.XXX.com
Incoming mail server - pop3.XXX.com
News (Usenet) server - nntp.XXX.com

The servers will probably look like this, or be a slight variant.

X1g

exactly- as you have stated. In my case my smtp and pop is the same. mail.<my-isp-here>.com. I have TB on my Win box and my Nix box w/same pop and smtp settings,,,,,,oh I'm on a cable connection

Back