• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

msi fried or no

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brandondiep

Registered
MSI 785 gtm e-45 is a really bad board or I have bad luck or im stupid. It auto sets cpu voltage way too high, will not run ddr2 ram at 1.8volts (runs at 1.9), killed one of my ram sticks or the ram sucks (Corsair ddr2) now the screen locked up and a screeching noise from the speakers. I hold down the power button and it shuts off, wait a few mins and turn it back on. Fans turn on and I am happy, but wait there are no beeps or video signal.... So i swap the ram sticks, test them 1 by 1 on each slot. Nothing, just the fans running and no beeps or video. So I take the mobo out of the case and put it on a cardboard box and still nothing. So i get my old psu and try but only the cpu fan turns on and no beeps even without ram (psu worked the last time i used it 3months ago). I read about MSI's RMA and most people say they send back the same board saying its *fixed* but they still cannot get a boot. Cpu idles at 40-42 depending on room temp and loads at 52-55 so i do not think the cpu is fried. I could get a pc tech to check the hardware out which is 40 bucks, get a new board and hope to god the board was fried (tigerdirect do not refund motherboard only exchange defective) or keep trying to find a job to upgrade which I have been trying to do for 4 months. Specs Phenom 9850 ddr2 4gbs evga 460 gtx 500gb western dig 7200rpm.

With the diagnostic steps you have taken it seems to me the board is the only thing left as being the culprit. I have been disappointed with every board mfg. I have had to RMA a board with except an obscure company that Tiger Direct use to vend for called MachSpeed. They all seem to be in denial when their products go belly up. I find it much better to deal with the retailers themselves like NewEgg when I need to return a product, at least if its still within their 30 day warranty. Otherwise, I say eat it and buy a new board. Save yourself the hassles and wait of the RMA process. And if you choose to RMA the board after buying a new one, use the return as a backup or sell it if it truly proves to be fixed or replaced.

From the symptoms you described, it does not look to be a VRM failure. VRM failure = no turn on at all until you remove 4-pin connector. However, running a 9850 on that motherboard (125W + low quality 3+1) is definitely beyond risky to begin with.

From the symptoms you described, it does not look to be a VRM failure. VRM failure = no turn on at all until you remove 4-pin connector. However, running a 9850 on that motherboard (125W + low quality 3+1) is definitely beyond risky to begin with.

That CPU and many other 125W CPU's are listed in the MSI CPU compatibility list for that board, however. Of the several major motherboard manufacturers we seem to hear of more problems with MSI than any other I think. They used to make great boards 5-10 years ago.

So should I waste the 40 bucks to check what parts are fried or go ahead and buy a new board(not msi again ever again)? I am scared that more than 1 part fried during the lock up (ram) because if the ram and board are done ill just throw all of it away and sell whatever is left.

$40 would go a long way to buy a new and better board. If you want to check out the viability of the ram and the CPU you can do it when you get the new board, one you know is good. Why pay a guy $40 to do it for you IMO. My guess is the CPU and ram will turn out to be okay.

I dont think im going to waste anymore money on this crap, i was planning to upgrade soon. I guess the upgrade will be sooner, once I get this security training and test done I`ll probably get a 2500k and a NON-Msi board and some quality parts.

WOW, so I go to the tiger direct today and it posts what???? I feel like a dumbass standing there looking clueless. I guess my pc needed a day off. No more overclocking for this rig.

Back