• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI X470 Gaming Plus.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trickson69

Okay it is installed and up and running!
So here it is,
Ryzen 7 1700, MSI X470 gaming Plus, Corsair vengeance 16GB.

I have one question for now. The Power on the MB for the CPU has the regular 8 pin power and a second 4 pin power connection, I JUST bought this Power supply CX750 and It don't have no 4 pin connector any place at all.
I have the system up and running but can't seem to find out where to get this extra power cable...

That 4-pin eps plug is optional anyway (read your manual). I'd just leave it not plugged in as it wont hold back ambient overclocks anyway. ;)

Cx line of psus are serviceable, but not of high quality.

That 4-pin eps plug is optional anyway (read your manual). I'd just leave it not plugged in as it wont hold back ambient overclocks anyway. ;)

Cx line of psus are serviceable, but not of high quality.

Thank You!
I have been reading the manwell and it say's only to make sure all the CPU power connectors are plugged in.

Yikes... that psu is worse than I thought... https://m.hardocp.com/article/2015/01/21/corsair_cx750_750w_power_supply_review/9
The bottom line is simply this; there is absolutely no reason ANY user should buy a Corsair CX750 as you can get better performing, better built, and better supported products for about the same price or even for much less money.

That would be the first motherboard I've seen that REQUIRES both. I would email MSI and confirm both need to be plugged in.

EDIT: If it is required... you have a great excuse to get rid of that junk PSU. If you let us know how much you paid for it, we can suggest something of much better quality with the proper connectors.

Last edited:
I have a MSI X470 gaming pro with A Ryzen 5 2600x and that needed both the 8 pin and 4 pin power connections plugged in. I too had brought a new PSU for this but it only had 1 8 pin connector for the PSU.

I tried a few different power options (molex and 6 pin gpu adapters) and couldn’t get it to power on. I returned the PSU and brought one with two 8 (4+4) pins connectors which could be split if needed. I found these tended to be on the more upmarket PSU’s and had to find specs on the manufacturers websites to be sure as not all the retailers websites have enough info.

Though yours seems to be happily up and running with just the one connector so it may not be as power hungry or as demanding?

Looks like you are only running your 2666 RAM at 2133 mhz. Ryzens really thrive on higher memory frequency.

Looks like you are only running your 2666 RAM at 2133 mhz. Ryzens really thrive on higher memory frequency.

Agreed. This RAM is not the stuff I want for this system and will replace it soon.
Also the temps are super high! 85c 30 min OCCT! Not going for them temps I set it all back to stock settings for now.
This Ryzen 7 1700 is way fast at stock settings anyway! Have to get better cooling the stock cooler is not cooling at OC.

So still a few things to get like a PSU and a cooler and RAM. But till then I am still beyond happy with AMD and MSI this is AMAZING!
Can't wait to get this sorted out then the real fun can begin for me.

85c is safe.

Don't be surprised if you can't get quite as high and overclock on the CPU if you install higher speed RAM. More strain on the IMC.

85c is safe.

Don't be surprised if you can't get quite as high and overclock on the CPU if you install higher speed RAM. More strain on the IMC.

Yeah it just don't look safe. LOL. I am going to wait till I can get a good cooler the stock cooler is NOT for the kind of OC I want. LOL.

Any way I did manage to get the other power connection for the CPU power connected, I took a 4 pin connector from an old PSU and used a 12v molex connector and well it is hooked up and all.
How do I know it is working?

Did you dice and splice this connection together or use some ready made for the purpose stuff. I'm not clear on what you did. Pics?

Yeah it just don't look safe. LOL. I am going to wait till I can get a good cooler the stock cooler is NOT for the kind of OC I want. LOL.

Any way I did manage to get the other power connection for the CPU power connected, I took a 4 pin connector from an old PSU and used a 12v molex connector and well it is hooked up and all.
How do I know it is working?

Because there wasn't any smoke!
Like Trents said 85C is well within limits and that was during stress testing. 4.0 is about all you're going to get out of it anyway, even if you mange to egt 4.1 with a really good cooler is it worth the investment? You might just as well run it as is, it's not going to hurt anything even overclocked.

You dont know through the board... but you can (and should done so before really) use a multimeter and check. So long as the wires are in the right spots, you didnt see any magic smoke from the board... it's likely good.

Nope no smoke. LOL yeah it would have done it right away if it were incorrect. and FYI I did check the speck for the wiring on the plug it is all setup just like your older 4 pin CPU power connectors. So as long as you can find an old PSU from that era do what I did then you are golden.
Yeah I know that 85c is fine but I am still going to invest in better cooling before any Over volt and yes it would be worth the expense to be able to keep it nice and cool.
I was thinking getting another cooler master V8!

Back