• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multi GPU Folding Walkthrough

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've heard mixed answers. My guess is that it will not need the full 16x lanes to fold. You may take a hit to PPD, but I honestly can't see that being more than 100 or so.

I would test this for you, but my 9800GTX won't fit in my 4x slot, the card is a dual slotter :-/

I am getting around 9196 a day now with 1x card and smp client. Is it worth the trouble to switch to 2 cards? Can you run 2x cards and the smp client on a Quad rig?

I am getting around 9196 a day now with 1x card and smp client. Is it worth the trouble to switch to 2 cards? Can you run 2x cards and the smp client on a Quad rig?
9k? Is that with the GX2?

You should be able to do 2 cards easily, this GPU client takes little CPU usage. XP reports/reported 100% usage, but it is incorrect. Switched my main to Vista and it is showing 7-12% usage, if that. SMP should be no problem :cool:

9k? Is that with the GX2?

You should be able to do 2 cards easily, this GPU client takes little CPU usage. XP reports/reported 100% usage, but it is incorrect. Switched my main to Vista and it is showing 7-12% usage, if that. SMP should be no problem :cool:

2x 8800 GTS 512 Going to give it a try and see.:)

How did you get both cards to OC? Still using RivaTuner?

Had to have it hooked to monitor, and yes used RT. I have 2x 24" monitors and using DVI kvm switch. So on the 790i rig I have one card going to kvm and the other to one imput on first monitor. I used Ultamon program to mirror and it worked I could oc both cards. On the P5Q Deluxe rig same thing.

Ok, I've got this new fangled v6.20 Systray client installed (x2) on my new 780i box, also running the new v1.09 core. Setup the same as I did on the previous host for these two 8800GT cards, using a batch file to set NV_FAH_DEVICE as seen here.

Now I don't know what I've done differently but now each FahCore_11.exe process is grabbing its own cpu core. This is on a Q6600 under WinXP 32-bit. So now instead of both GPU cores working off of CPU Core 3, it's using CPU Core 2 and Core 3.

Did something in the client change that's causing this? ...or did I just screw up my setup somehow? Unfortunately I can't go back to my previous 2xGPU setup to check b/c that rig is in pieces now.

I need to update for the new client, it looks *completely* different :-/

Really sorry about the delay guys, just have had a ton of hardware changes recently.

Ok, I've got this new fangled v6.20 Systray client installed (x2) on my new 780i box, also running the new v1.09 core. Setup the same as I did on the previous host for these two 8800GT cards, using a batch file to set NV_FAH_DEVICE as seen here.

Now I don't know what I've done differently but now each FahCore_11.exe process is grabbing its own cpu core. This is on a Q6600 under WinXP 32-bit. So now instead of both GPU cores working off of CPU Core 3, it's using CPU Core 2 and Core 3.

Did something in the client change that's causing this? ...or did I just screw up my setup somehow? Unfortunately I can't go back to my previous 2xGPU setup to check b/c that rig is in pieces now.
They may have changed that, I'll look into it. Here is the thing, it doesn't actually use 100% of one core, it is around 7%. XP report it wrong for some reason. So technically, it doesn't matter what core they are on.

Mine does the same thing since I updated clients, it must be in the client.

Ok, that's what I was hoping. I couldn't fathom what I had done differently.

This will be interesting to see how well these GPUs will mix with a 2xVMWare SMP setup running also.

Hopefully, as thideras says, the GPU core will only truly use ~7% and the VMWare instances can co-exist without too much of a hit to either client... as it appears locking the VMs to 0/1/2 won't work anymore. :(

Thanks for the confirmation cw! :beer:

I need to update for the new client, it looks *completely* different :-/

Really sorry about the delay guys, just have had a ton of hardware changes recently.
If you haven't done so already, you might want to include changing the multiple clients to different machine IDs. I get an error in FahSpy if I use the same machine IDs for both GPU clients. In any case, it's the proper way to do multiple client installs. Ignore this if you have updated the guide already.

Mine does the same thing since I updated clients, it must be in the client.
It hasn't changed for me, but I'm using XP. When I updated the client, both GPU clients were still using only a single core. It might be an OS thing for this quirk as well.

It hasn't changed for me, but I'm using XP. When I updated the client, both GPU clients were still using only a single core. It might be an OS thing for this quirk as well.

Which core version are you running... it did the same for me on v1.07 and v1.09, each FahCore_11.exe locked to its own CPU core.

Also, do you see two FahCore_11.exe processes? I just can't remember from my previous setup but it seemed like there was only one. :confused: But that makes no sense... so there has to be a FahCore_11.exe process for each card. So in your setup each FAH core is using ~50% of one CPU core (~25% on a dual & ~12.5% on a quad actual)?

Man, should have paid a little more attention to my previous setup and I wouldn't be asking all these remedial questions. :bang head I thought the multi-gpu stuff was working nice... why must Stanford go and change it on us. :D

Last edited:
I get one FahCore_11 per each instance of GPU (so 3 total on my 780i)

Guess I will ask this here.

I didn't think to much on matching cards. So I have a little problem. Which would be the best board to use 2 cards on and which 2 cards? p35-dq6 or abit ip35 pro or my msi fx790?

which 2 card do you guys think will work best together 8800gt sc and 9800gtx or 9800gtx and 9800gtx ko all evga?

the 9800gtx puts out 52XX and the 8800gt puts out 50XX the KO is around 57XX all ran on the same board and cpu.

I was thinking on putting 1 in each rig but thinking on going with 2 rigs instead of 3.

Any thoughts would be great Thid, CW, harl, nit, and Hard.

I don't think there is a "better board" since slot speed does not seem to greatly affect the PPD. I'd put the GTX in one by itself unless you have two of them, it/they should do 6k PPD each.

thats the thing I want to put 2 together and have 8800gt sc, 9800gtx, and 9800gtxko.

so the abit pro would work for dual gpu client system?

Last edited:
Back