• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multi VM SMP Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Made an update that corrects a clock synchronization issue. For those that have installs already, if your VM guest clock is running slow try adding this to the kernel command line boot paramaters

clocksource=acpi_pm

The file for boot options in ubuntu 8.04 is in /boot/grub/menu.lst at the bottom of the file, add it to the end of the kernel line for the first option.

Cluster: that's a great bit of info!
I had been doing a "date --set" every time I rebooted my VMs to ensure the correct time... one less thing to do manually is nice ;)

Rewrote the guide, should be a little easier to follow, broke things up into lists instead of the mass of text. Also added the Vmware tools guide from the_cultie's post in another thread.

I'm confused here, in the guide it says to grab the 64 bit distro but it's called xxx-amd64.iso at the Ubuntu site. Can I use this with an Intel processor? :confused: The i386 that is currently installed is probably 32 bit as I couldn't get SMP running though the single runs just fine but slowly at 16.5 min./frame. Is there a simple way to check like Windows' rht-clk computer to know what I have as I can't find the command. Thanks guys.

Oh, VMWare says it's x64 using ubuntu 64 bit.vmx

Last edited:
amd64 is often used to reference 64-bit OSes, it just means 64-bit, and it will work just fine on intel processors, even if intel hates the naming convention ;)

Something i've been meaning to mention but keep forgetting. If you want to, you can close the VMWare Server Console window and your VMs will stay running. Not only does it free up some memory, but it also saves a few cycles as that console uses up some cpu time while its open. If you need to get at your VMs, just open the console again, and your VMs will show up.

If i get around to figuring out how, i'll add a part on connecting to VMs from another PC. That console is designed to administer VMs over multiple systems. I think you have to configure some options to make that happen though.

Also, that vmhgfs module that is mentioned in the VmWare Tools install is designed to allow transparent access to the Guest OS filesystem from the Host OS. Which eliminates the need for samba, and allows FahMon direct access w/o having to go through windows networking. Unfortunately the module wont compile on my system, if i get it working, i'll add it in also.

This is a great guide, I just did it step by step, however, my VM's are only taking 33-35% of the cpu in windows task manager... in the system monitor in ubuntu it says its using 100% of one core and about 26% of the other and it dances between both cores, looks like a strand of dna. GPU client is using 2-3% so only 70% CPU usage.

Is this normal?

yes on both, time per frame varies between 13 and 15 minutes so far, they both have 2675's

I don't currently have any p2675's running to compare. P2669 is averaging about 90% per cpu, dipping as low as 75% on one or the other.

not sure if mentioned but you could also just use the "clone" feature of VMWare to make the 2nd install...

I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought I would say it here as well. I originally setup the networking on my VMs as NAT, and I was unable to see the VM folding folders from another computer using windows networking. I shutdown both VMs, changed the networking to Bridged, and restarted the VMs. Now I can see the VM folding folders from another computer using windows networking. Of course, I shared the VM folding folders from within VM and installed Samba when prompted to do so.

Hope this helps someone.

Back