• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multiple GT AP-15 Fans on Same Mobo Header

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MattMan657

Hey all, I just got in three Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans that will be used for my next water cooling adventure. I will be adding another triple radiator to my build which will have the three fans.

As we all know, the AP-15s are not PWM. 3 Pin fan controlled via voltage control. My mobo (Asus P8Z77 WS) can control both 3 pin fans and 4 pin fans. PWM on 4 pins obviously, but I believe it can also handle voltage control on 3 pins as well which I believe so because I have a Noctura 140mm 3 pin for my exhaust. My question is, is there a SAFE way to drive multiple AP-15s from the same header on my mobo?

Note, it doesn't HAVE to be on the mobo. Its preferable so I can get the RPM readings, but if I needed to have an external controller, not a huge deal. Maybe a PCI bracket one or something like that.

What do all you out there who use the AP-15s do to drive em?

Thanks

^^ That's an excellent option.

I run up to three fans on one header on my M5A99x Evo. Most headers have an amperage limit stated in the manual or online specs. GT's take very little to power. When I did the math, I could have run up to 6 on one header (although I don't advise it).

Ooo I like that 6 fan controller. Great link.

Here is the problem with that. My AP-15 fans are going to be used on a triple rad mounted externally from the case. Bit of a distance from the back of the case to the front. I guess I COULD run some extension cables butttt that is a little meh.

I wonder if there is anything else like this but smaller and not a drive bay. Worst case I could build an external enclosure from something for this Sunbeamtech. Not a terrible option.

Well that controller (both actually) is 30W per channel, so you could just run one extension and split it into 3 at the radiator (or use a pre-made 3 way fan splitter). You'll need to run at least one extension whether you have the fan controller in your case or by the radiator anyway. And that'll leave 5 free channels for you to connect some other fans :)

Yea, I was thinking about doing something like that. In a way I wish I bought the Noiseblockers that are compared to the AP-15s as they have PWM. Would have saved me 20 bucks or so.

I'll probably pick up that controller and get extensions for each fan, but sleeve the extensions together for space, then plug them in individually into the controller. That should work just fine.

You can also cut the fan wires and put them in parallel, like I did before. A 30W fan controller can easily handle 3 of those fans on just one channel. And depending on the rad, you can set it and forget it at 1000 RPM.

IMG_0437.jpg

3FanWiring.jpg

Back