• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin 1600 defaults to 1333

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddystu

Registered
I bought 8 Gb of mushkin enhanced frostbyte RAM @1600 but my system and monitoring programs seem to reckon its 1333. I have it set via BIOS at 1600 (cos thats what i ordered! :) ) but would I be better off running it at 1333?

Thanks.

Sometimes the motherboard won't pick up on the proper speed, voltage or timings of the RAM and you have to set it manually.

Sometimes the motherboard won't pick up on the proper speed, voltage or timings of the RAM and you have to set it manually.

My timings are a little high I guess but i have 0 experience in modifying them. I tried yesterday and I was soon pulling off my little plastic cmos friend again :)

Look at the RAM modules, and write down the settings. Enter those settings into the BIOS. DON'T apply any different settings other than what's written on the modules if you don't know what you're doing.

Look at the RAM modules, and write down the settings. Enter those settings into the BIOS. DON'T apply any different settings other than what's written on the modules if you don't know what you're doing.

Advice taken.

9,11,11,29 now changed to 9,9,9,24 on both modules. To my surprise the system booted up :)

CPUID and BIOS still think its supposed to be 1333 though.

1333 is because it's standard SPD profile that is within JEDEC specification so it's compatible with probably all available motherboards. Thats why BIOS and more popular software will see it as 1333 even though producer gave 1600 label.
Higher clocks with declared timings are usually under XMP profiles. Some boards have problems to read XMP right and then you have to set some settings manually like in your case from what I see.

1333 is because it's standard SPD profile that is within JEDEC specification so it's compatible with probably all available motherboards. Thats why BIOS and more popular software will see it as 1333 even though producer gave 1600 label.
Higher clocks with declared timings are usually under XMP profiles. Some boards have problems to read XMP right and then you have to set some settings manually like in your case from what I see.

Seeing your sig i'll take your word for it :)

Many thanks for the explanation.

Back