• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED My All-Out PC Build. Thoughts? Suggesstions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kasey

This will be my second build. My last build was a quick budget build, but this time I want to go all out. To do this I have planned to buy 1-3 things a month over ~5 months until my build is complete. As of now, the only thing I have that will not change is the case. The rest is capable of being changed if something different is suggested. This is what I currently have:

Note: All images are links to the item on newegg.

Case:
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition.

11-133-192-Z03.jpg

Motherboard:
Asus Maximus VI Hero

Motherboard.jpeg

CPU:
i7 4770k

CPU.jpeg

Note: Will be doing custom liquid cooling so won't be buying a new cpu cooler for this. just a heat sink.

GPU:
GTX 790

No Image/link due to obvious reasons. I expect this to be out by the time I purchase as it will be the last thing I buy. Plan to buy the Hydrocopper version.

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB)

RAM.jpeg

Hard Drives:

SSD Boot Drives
2x ADATA XPG 64GB SATA III

SSD.jpeg

Note: These will be in RAID 1. They will contain only my operating system and files/programs deemed important (anti-virus/school stuff/ etc.)

HDD Media/Game Drives:
2 x Western Digital WD VelociRaptor 500GB 10000 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

HDD.jpeg

Note: These will be in RAID 0.

Power Supply:
Cooler Master V-Series - 1000W Power Supply with Fully Modular Cables and 80 PLUS Gold Certification

Power Supply.jpg

Well a couple of things...

First what is this build for? If for gaming, what resolution is your monitor?

1. The GPU you list, GTX 790, does not exist, and I don't believe will be coming out in the first place.
2. You can use a less expensive motherboard. Asrock Z87 Extreme 6 to name just one that would be fine.
3. Coolermaster PSU's are hit and miss. Not sure about this one, or its capacity at 1KW. You do not need such a thing unless you are rocking 3 high end GPUs. A quality 850W unit will be plenty for a dual GPU card, or two GPUs while overclocking both of them and the CPU.
4. I recommend getting a single larger SSD. Unless you work with large files and manipulation, there is little point to R0 SSD. Boot times may not decrease due to the RAID firmware having to load. Game level load times will decrease, surely, however if its a multiplayer game, yay you get to sit and wait until the timer hits 00 before you can do anything anyway.
5. 32GB of ram? Good gawd! If its a gaming system 16GB is PLENTY (8GB is really). Just grab 2x8GB DDR3 1866 CL9 and call it a day. Unless you know you will need more, don't waste the money on 32GB.

Last edited:
A 64GB SSD is going to fill up FAST. As in, my Windows folder is just shy of 30GB by itself. Once you get a couple programs on there, you're going to be running out of room. If you can, definitely go for at least a 128GB. Any particular reason other than data-loss for RAID 1? Backups can help that, and allow you to get one bigger SSD instead.

Why two 500GB 10K RPM? For the same price you can get two 7200 RPM with lots more room. (2 or 3 TB ea)

@ed: SSD's show as being RAID 1.

Didn't catch that part WW, thanks!

That said, I agree that he would want a 128GB SSD as 64GB is brutally small these days. Seems pretty complicated for what I think the machine will be (a gamer) personally. RAID this and that when a simple drive or proper backup methodologies would suffice. :)

Well a couple of things...

First what is this build for? If for gaming, what resolution is your monitor?

1. The GPU you list, GTX 790, does not exist, and I don't believe will be coming out in the first place.
2. You can use a less expensive motherboard. Asrock Z87 Extreme 6 to name just one that would be fine.
3. Coolermaster PSU's are hit and miss. Not sure about this one, or its capacity at 1KW. You do not need such a thing unless you are rocking 3 high end GPUs. A quality 850W unit will be plenty for a dual GPU card, or two GPUs while overclocking both of them and the CPU.
4. I recommend getting a single larger SSD. Unless you work with large files and manipulation, there is little point to R0 SSD. Boot times may not decrease due to the RAID firmware having to load. Game level load times will decrease, surely, however if its a multiplayer game, yay you get to sit and wait until the timer hits 00 before you can do anything anyway.
5. 32GB of ram? Good gawd! If its a gaming system 16GB is PLENTY (8GB is really). Just grab 2x8GB DDR3 1866 CL9 and call it a day. Unless you know you will need more, don't waste the money on 32GB.

1. I know it doesn't exist. but it is rumored to release late Q4

2. Yeah. I was drawn to the Hero for the extra features mainly. RAMDisk without having to use a third-party program and the SSD Secure wipe are the 2 main ones.

3. For PSU, I don't plan to buy one every build and got the extra wattage for probable upgrades. was initially going to get the 850 W v-series.

4. yeah. I don't plan to RAID 0 them. I read about it and it isn't worth the hassle. I plan to RAID 1 them.

5. RAMDisk ;)

That would be a good thing to know.

Kasey:
1. What is your primary use for this?
2. Budget?
3. Are the files you plan to put on the RAID 1 extremely critical? Or would a daily/weekly backup cover you instead.

I haven't heard that rumor...

I don't see the point in those activities (RAMDISK) for a gaming machine, but, it is your money. :)

You wont need more than 850W for 'upgrades' unless you run 3 GPUs (which is also silly unless you are running multiple monitors).

So what resolution are you gaming at with this machine?

A 64GB SSD is going to fill up FAST. As in, my Windows folder is just shy of 30GB by itself. Once you get a couple programs on there, you're going to be running out of room. If you can, definitely go for at least a 128GB. Any particular reason other than data-loss for RAID 1? Backups can help that, and allow you to get one bigger SSD instead.

Why two 500GB 10K RPM? For the same price you can get two 7200 RPM with lots more room. (2 or 3 TB ea)

@ED: SSD's show as being RAID 1.

I'm bad at not doing back ups. lol. even though it may be cheaper to use a back up program. I guess I'm just that lazy?

I don't need 2 or 3 TB of room though :G . I don't think I ever used more than 600 GB of data before. So I put speed over size.

What's your budget? How "all out" is this?

When I think "all out" I don't think small SSDs, that's for sure. "All-out" in my mind would be at least one 960GB SSD, maybe two.

EDIT:
The RAMdisk software is third party. Secure erase can be done with a huge variety of tools that are all free.

That would be a good thing to know.

Kasey:
1. What is your primary use for this?
2. Budget?
3. Are the files you plan to put on the RAID 1 extremely critical? Or would a daily/weekly backup cover you instead.

1. Gaming. I haven't tried overclocking but have a friend who does who is gonna show me how etc.
2. I don't have a budget. I'm buying things over a span of ~5 months. we could say about $1000 a month.
3. My OS is critical :( . lol. hmmm... backups would ofc work. i have just never used them.

I haven't heard that rumor...

I don't see the point in those activities (RAMDISK) for a gaming machine, but, it is your money. :)

You wont need more than 850W for 'upgrades' unless you run 3 GPUs (which is also silly unless you are running multiple monitors).

So what resolution are you gaming at with this machine?

Well, there isn't much point in RAMDisk these days tbh anyways. I just find it fun sometimes.

2560 x 1440

The other thing is buying your PC over a course of months... not generally a good idea really.

Case, PSU, Monitor, and peripherals, sure, go for it. But the board, CPU, RAM, GPU will all fluctuate heavily in price over time, not to mention there are new GPU's to come out from both camps in that time.

1440p is single GTX780 territory. I run one now at that res and it kills everything I throw at it. If you need another, grab it at that time, but I wouldnt do it now.

Last edited:
I have a batch program running automatically at startup that backs up my critical files. You could do something like that.

If you're new to overclocking, it might be best/easiest to start out with a good air cooler for your cpu, take the time to learn overclocking and get used to your new computer. THEN take the couple months to fully research liquid cooling before building your custom loop.

The other thing is buying your PC over a course of months... not generally a good idea really.

Case, PSU, Monitor, and peripherals, sure, go for it. But the board, CPU, RAM, GPU will all fluctuate heavily in price over time, not to mention there are new GPU's to come out from both camps in that time.

1440p is single GTX780 territory. I run one now at that res and it kills everything I throw at it. If you need another, grab it at that time, but I wouldnt do it now.

yeah. I'm trying to keep the time frame down as much as possible for that reason. but the last things I'll be getting is the GPU/CPU. But like you said. 1440p is GTX780 Territory. that means I no longer need/want a higher card so it doesn't matter how much time goes by. most likely the GTX 780 will only cheapen. How does a GTX 780 fair against dual monitors at 1440p? Ofc not running games on both screens but one will have a game and another will usually be running youtube videos/have browser up at all times. Also, as for RAM. I know little about. I hear it is difficult to over clock and I have no desire to do so. TBH I just want 32 GB of DDR3 1600 quality RAM.

Ram is ram is ram. DDR3 1600 CL9 1.5v is what you are looking for.

If the other monitor is just running that stuff, you should be fine. If not, buy a cheapo $50 GPU to output that stuff to your other monitor.

RAID is NOT a backup my man... learn to do things the right way. :)

It's a data security method that backs up everything. If the main fails it will automatically takes it place. so maybe backup isn't the right word?

I have a batch program running automatically at startup that backs up my critical files. You could do something like that.

If you're new to overclocking, it might be best/easiest to start out with a good air cooler for your cpu, take the time to learn overclocking and get used to your new computer. THEN take the couple months to fully research liquid cooling before building your custom loop.

yeah. this makes sense. will need to not get the Hydro copper GPU though. But now I need a new Power supply if Cooler Master is really that shady. Went with it since it had good reviews and seems to have a good 12 V rail which I read is good for over clocking.\

e/ oh and i don't know how to do that. lol. All the cool software they have these days... I don't know where to search for it so I usually don't use it. :p

I am aware what RAID is, but it is a not a viable 'backup' solution. It prevents against HARDWARE failures, but what about a lightning strike or a power surge and it takes out both? Software backups that you can have run automatically are a good answer to that problem.

Well, forums have things called "sticky" threads. These threads are found at the top of each forum when you click in to it. We have a watercooling section with a few great stickies... check them out. :)

The V1000 is excellent, it's just that the build with a single 780 could run happily, overclocked quite a bit, on a 500-550w PSU.

Ram is ram is ram. DDR3 1600 CL9 1.5v is what you are looking for.

If the other monitor is just running that stuff, you should be fine. If not, buy a cheapo $50 GPU to output that stuff to your other monitor.

ah. well looks like I'll be getting the 780X. Just one concern. What about new games that will come out in ~1 year. Like i said, my previous build was a budget build and therefore I could never play those games on max settings so I didn't know how long a newer card would be able to handle new games as they come out at max settings. Hopefully for a good while on at least High settings so I can get the 780X and save me ~$400.

I am aware what RAID is, but it is a not a viable 'backup' solution. It prevents against HARDWARE failures, but what about a lightning strike or a power surge and it takes out both? Software backups that you can have run automatically are a good answer to that problem.

Well, forums have things called "sticky" threads. These threads are found at the top of each forum when you click in to it. We have a watercooling section with a few great stickies... check them out. :)

haha.. yeah. Hardware failures have always been my greatest concern with SSD's. Haven't had personal experience of them giving out, but I read that they usually give no warning when they are about to do so. I currently use a military UPS for my computer and would plan to do the same with the new rig (protects it from lightning quite well). OFC I won't always have access to this UPS so i guess it would be best to look into software options instead of just the RAID.

lol. are you getting back at me for explaining RAID? I know what sticky threads are :p I use quite a bit of forums. Yeah, I've been looking at the water cooling threads almost all day :D .

Back