• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED My All-Out PC Build. Thoughts? Suggesstions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Easier to upgrade for the future mostly. The cost is similar so there really isn't a downside to two sticks over 4 sticks. More room for airflow between the sticks isn't a bad idea either, but frankly DDR3 runs cool and doesn't actually need heatspreaders in the first place.

Easier to upgrade for the future mostly. The cost is similar so there really isn't a downside to two sticks over 4 sticks. More room for airflow between the sticks isn't a bad idea either, but frankly DDR3 runs cool and doesn't actually need heatspreaders in the first place.

Haha... I guess G.Skill does it just to make it look cool :p

anyways, was thinking these but this worries me:
Compatible with Intel LGA1155/LGA1156 and AMD AM3/Llano/AM3+ platforms

Intel XMP support for 1st, 2nd and 3rd Generation Intel Core Processors

Do i need to find ones that say they are compatible with LGA 1150 and have XMP support for 4th Generation Intel processors?

Alright, thanks

I think my build is pretty much complete then. Just have to decide how I want my Hard Drives.

Anyone know anything about PCI Express SSD's? are they worth the $470 for 250 GB ?

Leaning towards one 128 GB min. SSD. and then 2 Raid 0 HDD's. Still don't know a reason why I shouldn't get Velociraptor's for these drives. If not Velociraptor's what HDD's should i get?

I would like to also bring back the water cooling. How do you think a 1 x 200 mm radiator on the top and a 1 x 140mm radiator on the back (where the 140mm fan is at) would fair? would that be enough for both GPU and CPU?

e/ I'm also leaning towards the ASRock Extreme 6 Mobo. Just a little worried the Capacitors near the CPU socket and/or the Ram slots will be in the way of certain heat sinks/cpu fans? Opinions?

I did a lot of research before buying anything for my "all-out" computer and got a lot of advice on here.

First off, on the SSD, the Samsung 840 Pro consistently has high ratings and you can get the 512GB version for the kind of money you're talking about. The 256GB version costs less than half that.

For the platter drive, I went with Western Digital WD2000FYYZ drives. They're the Enterprise line of hard drives and are about as fast as you're going to find and my experience has been (I've installed probably 100 in the last two years) they're pretty bullet-proof. The 2TB drives were less than $200 each.

For the motherboard, I bought the Asrock Extreme 6/ac because I wanted the built-in WiFi (which has come in really handy). The motherboard layout is great and the capacitor placement is not an issue at all.

I do want to go back to what people were talking about regarding data redundancy and backups. RAID0 has no parity, so if you lose one of those drives, you lose everything. RAID1 is mirroring, so if you lose one drive, the other is an exact duplicate so you should lose nothing.

Keep in mind that any kind of RAID solution is useless in the event of data corruption, virus infection, accidental or malicious user actions, etc. It only protects against hardware failure (as was pointed out earlier).

Go get Cobian (or something similar) and set it to automatically backup your data to external storage of some kind.

I bought the G.SKILL memory (I got the Z series and not the X, but as these guys pointed out, RAM is RAM is RAM) and it's solid and a brand that's well-trusted.

Regarding the water cooling - I bought that same case and returned it the next day because of this (also because I didn't like all the plastic parts). As far as rad placement goes, I'm not sure.

Alright, thanks

I think my build is pretty much complete then. Just have to decide how I want my Hard Drives.

Anyone know anything about PCI Express SSD's? are they worth the $470 for 250 GB ?

Leaning towards one 128 GB min. SSD. and then 2 Raid 0 HDD's. Still don't know a reason why I shouldn't get Velociraptor's for these drives. If not Velociraptor's what HDD's should i get?

I would like to also bring back the water cooling. How do you think a 1 x 200 mm radiator on the top and a 1 x 140mm radiator on the back (where the 140mm fan is at) would fair? would that be enough for both GPU and CPU?

e/ I'm also leaning towards the ASRock Extreme 6 Mobo. Just a little worried the Capacitors near the CPU socket and/or the Ram slots will be in the way of certain heat sinks/cpu fans? Opinions?

The PCIe SSDs are just badly priced. I'd rather get 512GB for that price.

Read the stickies on water cooling. You can calculate approximately how good you temperatures will be. Gotta learn the physics behind it if you want to do it right.

You shouldn't get the Velociraptors because higher speed drives are leas reliable and you won't notice the speed difference in real world usage. Any data that you have and want accessed fast should be on the SSD anyway. Anything that you don't need accessed fast should be on the HDD. I would say that you should go RAID 1 7200RPM drives.

I have a feeling you were doing this while reading my build:
:facepalm:

lol.. but you are mostly right. It wasn't the Big Numbers that did it though. 32 GB ram was really the only thing i looked as "big number.. I want it". I really do RAMDisk though. Have 16GB in my current system and use 4 for RAMDisk. Also, It isn't that I CAN'T afford it all at once. It's just I don't want to have liquidate my assets or pull from savings to do so. All things will be tested when i received them for 24 hours in a friend's build.

TBH, for the case; I mostly went on esthetics. from reviews it's pros were mainly cable management and air flow. cons were things were like bad usb ports and fans. Ofc, I'm sure there are better cases for cable management and air flow but it also had the look/style I wanted so I went with it. I also used my 0 experience in liquid cooling to look at the 2-d images of it to see if it would be easy to put in a custom loop. It didn't seem too difficult..........

I truly overestimated the Power requirements. lol
"See, the way my bank account is set up.."
Less RAM, more space, cheaper CPU if you don't plan on overclocking, 850W PSU (if you ever plan going SLi).

Alright, thanks

Was pretty happy with my WD Caviar Black 1TB drive (performance-wise).
Raid 0 is a no-go if you want reliable storage.

I did a lot of research before buying anything for my "all-out" computer and got a lot of advice on here.

First off, on the SSD, the Samsung 840 Pro consistently has high ratings and you can get the 512GB version for the kind of money you're talking about. The 256GB version costs less than half that.

For the platter drive, I went with Western Digital WD2000FYYZ drives. They're the Enterprise line of hard drives and are about as fast as you're going to find and my experience has been (I've installed probably 100 in the last two years) they're pretty bullet-proof. The 2TB drives were less than $200 each.

For the motherboard, I bought the Asrock Extreme 6/ac because I wanted the built-in WiFi (which has come in really handy). The motherboard layout is great and the capacitor placement is not an issue at all.

I do want to go back to what people were talking about regarding data redundancy and backups. RAID0 has no parity, so if you lose one of those drives, you lose everything. RAID1 is mirroring, so if you lose one drive, the other is an exact duplicate so you should lose nothing.

Keep in mind that any kind of RAID solution is useless in the event of data corruption, virus infection, accidental or malicious user actions, etc. It only protects against hardware failure (as was pointed out earlier).

Go get Cobian (or something similar) and set it to automatically backup your data to external storage of some kind.

I bought the G.SKILL memory (I got the Z series and not the X, but as these guys pointed out, RAM is RAM is RAM) and it's solid and a brand that's well-trusted.

Regarding the water cooling - I bought that same case and returned it the next day because of this (also because I didn't like all the plastic parts). As far as rad placement goes, I'm not sure.

Yeah. I was looking at the 840 Pro series before I decided to RAID 1 the ssd's. will probably end up with just one. As for the mobo, that is the one I'm getting :D . Thanks for the software advice. Going to add attachments of some pics of case. It just came in today.. this is how my loop is planned so far.

200-240mm Radiator
200mm rad.jpeg

On newegg it advertises that a 200-240mm radiator can be placed here when the fan is removed.

120 -140 mm Radiator
140mm rad.jpeg

This is where my second radiator will go. I am a little worried about this one. the fittings will be very close to the top of the case. Possible kinks? There are 120mm screw holes as well so will probably be better off with a 120 here and a 240 on top.

Pump
Pump.jpeg

The Pump will go beside the water supply. and the reservoir will be a double bay reservoir. Will be put at the very top right of this picture above the Hard Drive bays.

Loop will go:

Reservoir -> Pump -> CPU -> GPU -> 120mm Radiator -> 240mm Radiator -> Reservoir.

You mentioned testing components in a friend's build. I did something similar. I purchased the PSU, motherboard, RAM and CPU first and installed them in an open-air chassis with an old hard drive. As I got components (ODD, graphics card, SSD, HDDs), I added them to the build. The last thing I purchased was the case... I wanted to make sure all the components were spiffy as I went.

You mentioned testing components in a friend's build. I did something similar. I purchased the PSU, motherboard, RAM and CPU first and installed them in an open-air chassis with an old hard drive. As I got components (ODD, graphics card, SSD, HDDs), I added them to the build. The last thing I purchased was the case... I wanted to make sure all the components were spiffy as I went.

I have a question about your build in your sig. the PSU was one of the main things I was told I needed to change. I had way too much wattage. I see builds similar to yours where they have crazy PSU's with 1K + watts but the components don't really require it. is there a reason why y'all need so much? even though my build will be similar i'm told to get a 550-600

For the 200mm, you say that the radiator fits when you remove the fan. Are you going to put the fan outside on top, or...

You can get rotary fittings for the radiator to make the connection angle easier between the two radiators

Yes, I plan to put 2 x 120 mm fans on the top. However. I'm not sure how they will screw in yet. not sure if there are screw holes in the radiator or not

Last edited:
Then a 240mm radiator will work best. The fans will screw into the radiator, holding them together with the top of the case between them.

Top to bottom:
Fans
Top of case
Radiator

Then a 240mm radiator will work best. The fans will screw into the radiator, holding them together with the top of the case between them.

Top to bottom:
Fans
Top of case
Radiator

yeah. that makes more sense. I was a lil worried about having fans on top set for intake. I'd rather the fans be in exhaust and not intake but then that also worries me since it will be using hotter air instead of cooler air. but maybe that won't matter too much with the "great air flow" this case is supposed to provide :D

I'm running mine as exhaust on top. Might be a bit hotter (few C's), but it's still keeping my i5-3570K @ 4.8GHz at 70C max, so no worries having the fans exhausting.

"See, the way my bank account is set up.."
Less RAM, more space, cheaper CPU if you don't plan on overclocking, 850W PSU (if you ever plan going SLi).

Was pretty happy with my WD Caviar Black 1TB drive (performance-wise).
Raid 0 is a no-go if you want reliable storage.

"I've got a checking and a savings..."

yeah. I was only going to RAID 1 my boot drive and not going to use hdd for boot drive :p. so would be RAID 0 for just my hdd's :p

but yeah. scratched all that and just doing 1 big ssd (boot/fast applications) and 2 hdd's in RAID 0

Any particular reason for RAID 0 on storage drives as opposed to one big drive, like you're doing with the SSD?

Back