• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED My All-Out PC Build. Thoughts? Suggesstions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I still fail to see why you're putting the HDDs in RAID 0?

So I can view it as one drive AND get a performance boost out of it. yeah I know you can just make the computer virtually read it as 1 disk with a couple of different ways. but you get better performance With the RAID

So I can view it as one drive AND get a performance boost out of it. yeah I know you can just make the computer virtually read it as 1 disk with a couple of different ways. but you get better performance With the RAID

Now what are you putting on the HDD that would get a noticeable real world performance from RAID 0?

Now what are you putting on the HDD that would get a noticeable real world performance from RAID 0?

in SSD's RAID 0 doesn't add much of a performance boost. but with HDD's A RAID 0 adds a substantial performance increase. games will mostly go here. Yeah some will go on SSD but a 250 GB SSD won't hold all my games. All Client side parts of a game will have faster load speeds since that is mostly controlled by how fast your HDD can read it.

You play more than 200GB worth of games at the same time? Even the biggest games are around 10GB, I find it hard to believe that you play more than 25 games in the course of say, a month. And if this build is really all out, why not just get a bigger SSD?

You play more than 200GB worth of games at the same time? Even the biggest games are around 10GB, I find it hard to believe that you play more than 25 games in the course of say, a month. And if this build is really all out, why not just get a bigger SSD?

No. but I keep games installed. more than games will end up on the SSD. What's wrong with RAID 0?

I agree, all-out to me would be 2-3 of those 1tb ssd's with a large(3tb) external backup drive that is in a safe or other fireproof enclosure(i like my data safe and secure)

No. but I keep games installed. more than games will end up on the SSD. What's wrong with RAID 0?

You double the chance of failure on what is already the least reliable part of the computer. And RAID 0 is still really, really slow compared to a SSD. It's just not worth it.

I agree, all-out to me would be 2-3 of those 1tb ssd's with a large(3tb) external backup drive that is in a safe or other fireproof enclosure(i like my data safe and secure)

must be nice :p . My all out is much simpler because of my previous builds which totals 1. Which was a budget build. Before that which was before I started pc gaming i just had random laptops/desktops from your local electronics store. So this will be my first time having top of the line components :p

Just a note, BF3 with all the expansions is over 30GB. 20GB without. Dirt3, an older game, is 11GB and Metro 2033 is almost 10GB. There are several games eclipsing the 10GB mark, some by leaps and bounds. Your point though, is spot on. :thup:

You double the chance of failure on what is already the least reliable part of the computer. And RAID 0 is still really, really slow compared to a SSD. It's just not worth it.

yeah but i'm already getting the HDD's. So they shouldn't be compared to the speed of an SSD but other HDD's. and the things on them aren't exactly what I mind losing. will mostly be Steam/Gamestop downloads that can be just re-downloaded. The "double chance of failure" is just that because if one fails the data on both drives is corrupted. It's not like the RAID itself is increasing the chance that the drive fails. It just now makes it where if one fails the other fails too. so if each drive had 10% chance of failure: Without RAID: 1% chance they both fail. With RAID: 20% chance they both fail because it only requires 1 drive to do it.

:shrug:. It's your build, do what you want. I'm just saying the costs don't outweigh the benefit. I'd just get a 512GB SSD.

I've found RAID to be far more hassle than its worth 99% of the time... I always recommend against it to my friends who ask for build advice. Backups keep you from losing files, RAID increases uptime in the event of drive failure. Nobody should be using RAID 0 anymore unless they are benching SSDs.

I remember metro and a few GTA games being above 10GB, didn't know BF3 was nearly that big.

BF3 is the reason I upgraded from a 120GB to a 256GB SSD... its like EA/DICE has never heard of file compression... lol

yeah but i'm already getting the HDD's. So they shouldn't be compared to the speed of an SSD but other HDD's. and the things on them aren't exactly what I mind losing. will mostly be Steam/Gamestop downloads that can be just re-downloaded. The "double chance of failure" is just that because if one fails the data on both drives is corrupted. It's not like the RAID itself is increasing the chance that the drive fails. It just now makes it where if one fails the other fails too. so if each drive had 10% chance of failure: Without RAID: 1% chance they both fail. With RAID: 20% chance they both fail because it only requires 1 drive to do it.

RAID0 increases the chances that a volume will fail... not any individual drive, obviously. RAID has its place nowadays - in servers. When you need to maintain 99.99% uptime per SLA contracts, you go with RAID. For everything else, there's backups.

Last edited:
:shrug:. It's your build, do what you want. I'm just saying the costs don't outweigh the benefit. I'd just get a 512GB SSD.

I really appreciate the input :D . my build has changed a lot since just yesterday :D . And I could always go RAID 5 and get 3 HDD's. and if one DOES crap out I can just swap it out and all would be well :p . I guess I'm someone who just isn't fully in on the SSD bandwagon and only plan to use them for boot drives for now.

I really appreciate the input :D . my build has changed a lot since just yesterday :D . And I could always go RAID 5 and get 3 HDD's. and if one DOES crap out I can just swap it out and all would be well :p . I guess I'm someone who just isn't fully in on the SSD bandwagon and only plan to use them for boot drives for now.

I don't see why not...they're faster and more reliable than HDDs. I don't even have a HDD in my current build.

I never found a budget, so here's what I would call an "all out" build:

all-out.jpg

Now, what's your budget? :D

SSD's... check that... QUALITY SSD's (like were listed) are better than HDD's as far as reliability goes. One reason for that is zero moving parts.

My work also has some SSD's in its SAN... Granted its backed up properly, but, our device has some in there for a high IO storage area. ;)

I don't see why not...they're faster and more reliable than HDDs. I don't even have a HDD in my current build.

Hmmm... I may take this time to try them out. Don't have much experience with SSD's and was told (never confirmed it myself) that they had shorter life spans than HDD's. You can't constantly delete/rewrite things off the drives without it effecting performance. may go with 2 x 512 GB SSD's . will have to give it more thought.

Hmmm... I may take this time to try them out. Don't have much experience with SSD's and was told (never confirmed it myself) that they had shorter life spans than HDD's. You can't constantly delete/rewrite things off the drives without it effecting performance. may go with 2 x 512 GB SSD's . will have to give it more thought.

Or a single 1TB SSD. :p

Back