• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My case fans and conectivity to the MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglepi

My question is a simple unless you don't know how to set them up. When in doubt I come here and ask you guys and learn at the same time.

I considered buying a SSH but I think that will be on my next build. I know most you your opinions,that I spent too much on what I didn't need and not enough on what I did need...lol

I guess we all live and learn.

The cooling on my Case has a lot of fans, 2 on the top of the case,one on the back,one in front of the HHD slide in hard drive holder.

I also have a huge fan on the side cover it has to be 8 to 10 " in circumference

All the case fans have the bigger 5 pin connectors that I have always just connected the 5 Pin connectors to each other and then connected all of them to a 5 pin power from the PSU. Besides being easier to hook up is there any advantage to buy the converters from big connector to 4 pin smaller connector.

All my fans that came on my case which are the 2 top,1 back and the verylarge fan that is connected to my side cover all have manual fan speed controls.

Thanks
Ron

Last edited:
Sorry my mistake the power from the PSU are 4 pin so my question is there any advantage to connect all the large 4 pins connectors to the PSU over connecting them to the MB I don't OC so it doesn't matter to me what the fan speed is. Hope this helps understand it better

SSH? SSD You mean?

4 pin PWM, or 4 pin Molex? If you can connect it to the psu, it's likely Molex. If pwm, and you bkoard bas 4 pin headers, your board can control them through the bios would be an advantage. Particularly if you do not have a fan controller.

Yes Dog, you've pointed out my lack of knowledge once again..lol Just joking with ya.

The connectors are the ones that you can connect to the PSU as far as controlling the speeds I can do that with switches on the back of my case. I feel that I have plenty of fans on my case to cool my system and I don't overclock so I don't need to know what the speeds are or control them in the bios.

Thanks for making that clear now I know the best way for me. Hope you are all having a fun Sat.

Ron

SSH? SSD You mean?

4 pin PWM, or 4 pin Molex? If you can connect it to the psu, it's likely Molex. If pwm, and you bkoard bas 4 pin headers, your board can control them through the bios would be an advantage. Particularly if you do not have a fan controller.

As far as controlling cooling fans via my bios I'm not worried about that. The reason is every fan on my case has a low,medium and high switch which is all I care about.

My question originally was to make sure I can get by with just the CPU fan and not use my Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler .

I realize that the Cooler Master will do a better job cooling but with all my fans in my case can I get by with just the stock CPU fan

Yes, it'll run with the stock cooler.

Yes, it'll be much louder than the 212 EVO.
Yes, temps will be much higher than with the 212 EVO.
No, you won't be able to overclock at all with the stock cooler.

First of all whomever edited the subject line for me thanks, I couldn't edit the typo.

OK, I appreciate your reply and I can read between the lines, I got the Cooler Master so why not use it, right?

You talked me into using the Cooler Master

Thanks again

Last edited:

I'm screwed no matter how I try to install a good cooler I bought the Hyper 212 EVO, it was so tall that it was touching my fan on the side of my cae So I remembered I had a Therimalright Ultra-60 which is shorter so it doesn't get in the way of my fan on the side cover ,However no matter how I put it on it prevents me from installing my ram in Dimm 1. I tried to turn the Ultra-60 sideways but then the hardware that holds the cooler down gets in the way of my RAM in Dimm 1

So I am screwed no matter what I do. I was going to take some pic's so you could see but on my laptop I have no software installed to make the images smaller.

Anyways this is my last question about cooling I hope. with all the fans I have in my Antec case 2 top fans that are 6" , I have one fan in front of my hard drives that isr 5" and a fan on the back that is 6" then I have a 8" fan that is mounted on the side cover. So since your only bad points that you pointed out to me were ,

I could never Overclock
It would run much hotter
It would be much louder

So now that I have tried everything with fin coolers and they don't fit anyway I try them I am forced to use the stock CPU fan.

So I have decided to use the stock fan since I do not overclock,with all my case fans will one more little CPU fan really add that much more noise??

Trust me guys I wanted to use a cooler but the 2 I bought won't fit for several reasons for both I have.

Will the stock fan add that much more noise than the 5 fans running in my case now?

when you say it will run much hotter, Hotter but safe for the CPU I would assume since I will not be overclocking.

Since I have always used cooler and not stock fans I have a dumb question, I know that the stock fan comes with thermal paste on it, do I have to add anymore or is what's on the stock CPU fan enough?

MS Paint is native to windows and will resize, FYI.

You are not forced to use the stock cooler, you just need to find a cooler that will fit. Usually the the web page for your case will give you maximum height of the cooler, so I would check there before your next purchase then bounce it off of us.

The stock CPU fan is louder than the 212 Evo. You can overclock some on the stock cooler, but not much. It depends on a lot of factors (case airflow, ambient temps, etc).

The stock cooler is safe to run. Intel would not include it if it was not good enough for at least stock. Remember the same cooler is shipped with CPUs that go to The Sahara desert as it would to Siberia so they have to have SOME headroom built into it.

What they put on the cooler is enough.

Yes that is what I thought Dog, Intel wouldn't include a stock heat sink that wasn't good enough to keep the CPU within normal temps. I won't be overclocking at all.

With all the case fans I have will help with the temps as well.

Thanks for your input
Ron

Back