• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nizzo

Registered
I completed my first PC build yesterday with surprisingly no problems! The computer before this was an Alienware and after I bought that computer I started researching more in depth about building your own computer and cost of having it built vs doing it yourself so I decided to go for it!

Intel 5930k
Asus X99-Deluxe
Corsair HX1000i
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB
EVGA GTX 980 FTW
Corsair Hydro H100i
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB
Corsair C70 Vengeance Case

I'm getting a Corsair Link Mini Commander with RGB LED strips in the mail today, so I'll post a finished product photo once those are in.

IMG_28ffff74.jpg
2eec0nka.jpg
2eec0nkaa.jpg
IMG_28ff81.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm in the process of figuring out Overclocking in the new BIOS area. Currently I have it set to XMP Profile 2, which has the CPU at 3.8GhZ and the DRAM at around 3000. I tried setting the Core Voltage to 1.2 and raising the bclock, but it kept failing. Multiplier was at 35ish. Should i just raise the CPU ratio instead of bclock?

yes on the newer chips the BCLK is locked down you can only get like 5 mhz give or take a few out of it, at least on the 1150 socket. but im almost positive the same goes for socket 2011 thats why they have "K" chips so you can still oc

There is limited BCLK on s2011 (~3Mhz, 5Mhz would be awesome, but not remotely common). That said, they have 'straps' so you can run 125/166. But you can only go around 128/169, etc.

@ Nizzo - use the multiplier. On MOST s2011-3 boards when you set 3K memory, it raises the BCLK to the 125 strap so it can reach 3K memory speeds. Since BCLK * multi = CPU speed, that is why you are seeing 3.8Ghz. Beyond that though, use the cpu multiplier.

Thanks for the tips, I was worried there for a second. I'm pretty sure I saw the "strap" set at 125 after I set XMP 2. Should I be able to stick with 1.2 Voltage and get a decent overclock? And just to be clear the "CPU Ratio" value I saw in the BIOS is just another name for the multiplier right?

depends on what your memory sticks settings are... I don't know exactly which sticks you have/what they are rated for at those speeds... likely 1.3v but......not sure. Look on your packaging for its voltage/speed rating or in CPUz, the SPD tab under the profile you are using.

Yes, different name, same thing.

In short- the easiest way to overclock Haswell-E is purely by multiplier and voltage. For better tweakability you can do Bclk+multi+voltage but the problem there is that you can't just set the BCLK to whatever you want, there are certain ranges that work and certain ranges that don't. And any time you change your BCLK you change your RAM frequency, which requires even further tweaking.

I would suggest you set whatever strap keeps your RAM at the sticker speed. Or, just set XMP1, then tweak your multiplier and Vcore but don't touch the RAM.

In short- the easiest way to overclock Haswell-E is purely by multiplier and voltage. For better tweakability you can do Bclk+multi+voltage but the problem there is that you can't just set the BCLK to whatever you want, there are certain ranges that work and certain ranges that don't. And any time you change your BCLK you change your RAM frequency, which requires even further tweaking.

I would suggest you set whatever strap keeps your RAM at the sticker speed. Or, just set XMP1, then tweak your multiplier and Vcore but don't touch the RAM.

Very helpful advice. My RAM is 2666MhZ. Is it dangerous to go over that even if it passes memtest/prime95? I plan on going back to XMP 1 and setting voltage to 1.2 then just adjusting multiplier from there

Very helpful advice. My RAM is 2666MhZ. Is it dangerous to go over that even if it passes memtest/prime95? I plan on going back to XMP 1 and setting voltage to 1.2 then just adjusting multiplier from there

It isn't dangerous to overclock RAM. It can just cause instability.
Unless you are a highly experienced overclocker, I would do a pure multiplier/vcore OC.

One more thing I forgot to mention. Do I disable speed step or mess with any other settings like that before overclocking?

One more thing I forgot to mention. Do I disable speed step or mess with any other settings like that before overclocking?

It usually makes your life easier to disable speedstep, C-states, and any other power saving features.

Speedstep is a chip by chip thing. Some chips will take a fairly high OC with speedstep on. Some chips won't take any kind of decent OC with speedstep at all. If power savings isn't your top concern with this machine, you might as well save potential future headaches and turn all this stuff off now. JM2C.

I have never played with HW-E personally but I believe the max RAM speed with the default BCLK is either 2400 or 2666. I'm fairly certain that it's 2666. If that's the case, which I think it is, you should be able to set XMP1 without affecting your BCLK, making the rest of your OC easier.

Nice build ! I've been waiting to see that cooler in that case. Fits and looks great ! I'll be saving that info. Again , good looking build ! Congrats !

Didn't have much time to tweak too much after I finished putting in the Link Commander and LEDs, but I started off with a 35x ratio for 4.375GhZ and it worked like a charm! Way easier than I was making it seem. I'll see how high it will go and post new photos when I get back Sunday. Thanks again for all the help

What voltage and what temps are you getting under sustained load?

Prime95 has been running all night @4.375GhZ. Max CPU temp is 90C, right now it is at 80C. Voltage @ 1.252

**Added a new photo with Side Panel and Lighting on.

Last edited:
I suspect you do not have a good mount with your H100i. You shouldn't be getting 90C with 1.25V IMO.
The H100i is known for a sloppy mount. The H105 and H110 have a much firmer mount to the CPU.

90C is too hot. You really don't want these chips going over 80 for maximum longevity. Either take a 1 multiplier off your CPU ratio or try remounting the block.
You need to shave some vcore off if you plan to keep things as they are. She's too hot.

Just one thing- you aren't using the latest P95 are you? If you are, that explains your high temps. You don't want the newest P95 with Haswell it makes it unrealisitcally hot. You want a couple of versions back.

I suspect you do not have a good mount with your H100i. You shouldn't be getting 90C with 1.25V IMO.
The H100i is known for a sloppy mount. The H105 and H110 have a much firmer mount to the CPU.

90C is too hot. You really don't want these chips going over 80 for maximum longevity. Either take a 1 multiplier off your CPU ratio or try remounting the block.
You need to shave some vcore off if you plan to keep things as they are. She's too hot.

Just one thing- you aren't using the latest P95 are you? If you are, that explains your high temps. You don't want the newest P95 with Haswell it makes it unrealisitcally hot. You want a couple of versions back.

Yes I just downloaded the latest version. Any idea what the version number is that I should be using? I won't be back home until tomorrow to try again.

Back