• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First OC'ing adventure : Phenom I x4 9650

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dennisdietz

Registered
Hello all,

Glad to have found this forum, there seems to be quite a wealth of experience and information here. I am new to OC'ing but hopefully not for too long;) I've been doing lots of reading in the last couple weeks, experimenting on my own, and finally get to wanting to share my experiences and ask some questions. Hoping for a warm welcome:)

My specs: AMD Phenom I x4 9650, ASus M3A78-CM using on-board graphis (raedon 3100), 2 x 2GB Crucial RAM DDR2-800 (JEDEC #3 400MHz, 6-6-6-18-24), AC Freezer PRO 64 (currently 2 days old from time of post), 1x120mm front fan IN, 2x120mm fans OUT, Antec 300 case, Antec Earthwatts 650w, HDD: 500GB WD Black -OS, 1Tb WD Black- Data, 800gb WD Green Backup Data. Windows 7 Pro x64.

Current OC is 2.806 MHzis 244 x 11.5, vCore +100mV @ ~1.26-1.28V, NB +100mV (unsure actual voltage, AOD says 1.25 but also claims vCore is 1.15 so I don't trust that), HT Freq at 1220 (5x multi), NB Freq at 2196, Ram UNgnaged set at 333MHz in Bios yielding 406.7 MHz, 3:5 ratio. Clocks set manually in Bios to 6-6-6-16-21 (SPD at 333 is 5-5-5-15-20 and at 400 6-6-6-18-24).

My motherboard and CPU seem a bit limited for adjustability and there are no hidden advance features;( CPU multi has upper limit of 11.5 and no adjustment possible of NB multi (9x only). I have set the RAM timing loose (+1 for CL, TRP, TRCD, TRAS, TRC) and at 333 trying to boost the FSB and core speed.

Prime95 max NB temp is 36 idle/51 load, Core 28 idle/45 load after ~30 minutes of BLEND with ambient toms around 80 F. All seems stable at this point. vDroop under load seems to be about 1.21-1.23VTemps monitored with AOD, HW Monitor and PC Wizard, all consistent. Settings for Ram, clocks, etc from AOD and CPU-Z both complete agreement. I'll try to enter a CPU-Z validation here if not, here is the link:http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1343739

ISSUES:
Yesterday morning, last night and this morning I got BSOD on a cold startup, worked fine on reboot and sucessfully ran 30+ minutes of Prime 95 Blend without error. The first two BSOD where at 2.7 (235 x 11.5) with RAM divider at 400mhz (running 470mhz) and stock clocks/latencies set manually in BIOS (6-6-6-18-24 2T). I dropped down to 333 divider in bios before trying 2.8 OC ( 244 x 11.5) figuring to deal with RAm last. I left the ram loose fro 333mhz as I've read several places that AMD works best (at least to start) with loose timings. Tonight, I did not get a POST error or immediate BSOD in windows and I did not allow any time for the cold start to happen, no entering bios, no waiting at login, etc so temps should not have been an issue. I got a BSOD as soon as the desktop showed this morning and I left it off. My bios does not reset to default after a BSOD, only after a POST fail. Thoughts on this????

QUESTIONS:
After cold BSOD is solved (if this is a common and non-dangerous issue I can set a longer boot timer or take my time selecting the user - a minute longer boot is not an issue to me) what is next as far as OC? I realize my processor and motherboard are severely limiting here, I don't need 3+ but I'd like stable at 2.7-2.8ish. I woudl ike to push it (safely) just for kicks but then I'd tone it back down to the 2.7ish range. Seems that memory timings are next, I've read a lot and it is starting to sink in slowly. I game very little, some Quake 2 and I'd like to get something in a FPS that is a little newer but I would have very limited game play time (trust me, this will not change). What is important to me is stability. I do a lot of photography and photoediting (no video really and none is HD) and use Lightroom and Photoshop 4, both of which are memory hogs. I don't want to buy more RAM but would like to maximize the RAM I have.

I'm also curious as to the NB frequency as well as acceptible vCore and NB voltage. I have not stressed with reduced voltage for either. I've done lots of searching but find widely different opinions of how high to allow the NB frequency to get and how much voltage to give both. Finally, is the vDroop an issue and should I be mucking with the alternate VID in bios?

And really finally, I use only onboard graphics and have read ~1400 HT is plenty in that case. True?

Sorry for the super long post, hopefully it is readable though and the questions are obvious.

Dennis

I just looked into my memory some more. I bumped the divider up to 400MHz and set the timings to SPD timings. The only memory timing that could be loosened at 400mhz is CL (up to 7 CLK DH only -not sure what the DH only means) and TRC (up to 26) I tried loosening those two and system failed to POST with an overclocking error on reboot. I dropped those back down so all timings where SPD for 400MHz and am typing this now (DRAM freq now 488MHz . After I submit this I'll go run Prime for a while.

To be honest though, I did not notice any difference in program speed (programs that hog RAM) at loose 333 vs normal 400. In theory, what is preferred RAM-wise; loose 333, loose 400, normal 333, normal 400, tight 333. I don't think tight 400 will happen nor will loose 400 so that leaves, normal 333, normal 400, tight 333. Thoughts?

Thanks for reading all this!
Dennis

And finally for this evening, I have attached a screenshot that I think shows everything except my Bios. The max temps in CoreTemp and HW Monitor are from a 30 minute Prime95 Blend and the shown settings.

Looking forward to feedback.
Thanks,
Dennis

4887128302_f6e01fb72f_o.jpg

Last edited:
Grrr, tried to run another Prome test at the same setting as last mentioned, computer locked up after a few minutes with the screen having wavy red dots. Had to force reset with switch. Set RAM to 333 and spd timings for 333 divider-BSOD as soon as windows fully booted with a clock interupt message.

Back down to 2.65 for the night with 333 settings to get some work done. I suspect I have ram and voltage issues. My bios has a chipset section with northbridge and memory sections. Under northbridge one can select an Alternate VID from ~0.8-1.55. Is this the actual NB voltage or something different. In the JumperFree se ion of hebios there are Processor Voltage, CPU-NB, and further down a Chipset voltage. I've set both the processor and CPU-NB to +100mv and the Alt VID and Chipset are Auto. CPU-Z shows vcore 1.24-1.28, but AOD shows it 1.15 and CoreTemp lists only VID as 1.15. Supposedly my processor has a manufacture listed range of 1.1 to 1.25. Ive searched around a lot but can't seem to verify what is what and accurate voltage wise.

Thoughts?

:welcome: to OCF!

Well, you had an interesting evening. I'm at the end of my day as well and will keep this kinda' brief. From what I see your vCore is probably holding you back. CPU-Z should be showing the correct vCore - CoreTemp will only show the main BIOS setting, not actual vCore. As far as I know 1.35v is safe enough for your CPU and even 1.40 probably wouldn't be an issue. The main thing to watch is the load core temp and yours looks good so far. As you increase the vCore that will change.

For your RAM I'd set the 400 MHz timings and use a 333 MHz speed to keep the RAM from being overclocked. I have no doubt it'll overclock some but as you noted it's better to wait for later on the RAM.

You mentioned cpuNB voltage but not the speed. At this point it could be a problem for you. I'd drop the cpuNB mutliplier (let's hope you have one!) back to 8X to keep the overall speed near 2000 MHz. In the end I managed to have a fair cpuNB speed but I OC'ed it seperatly from the CPU.

Give that a go, see what happens, and post back with results - we'll see how far we can crank it up ...! :)

:welcome: to OCF!

Well, you had an interesting evening. I'm at the end of my day as well and will keep this kinda' brief. From what I see your vCore is probably holding you back. CPU-Z should be showing the correct vCore - CoreTemp will only show the main BIOS setting, not actual vCore. As far as I know 1.35v is safe enough for your CPU and even 1.40 probably wouldn't be an issue. The main thing to watch is the load core temp and yours looks good so far. As you increase the vCore that will change

Thanks for the welcome QuietIce! I've seen your posts around here and other places on the web and happy to meet you.

CPU-Z does show what the HW monitor in the Bios shows for CPU voltage, 1.24-1.28. I do not doubt you knowledge about safe voltages but as a reminder, I do not have a Black Edition of the Phenom I 9650. My board is pretty limited, the Processor Voltage and CPU-NB voltage are each limited to +50, +100, +150mV. Also, here is a link to my motherboard manual.

For your RAM I'd set the 400 MHz timings and use a 333 MHz speed to keep the RAM from being overclocked. I have no doubt it'll overclock some but as you noted it's better to wait for later on the RAM.

Just did that. I set all parameters using the SPD from AOD. Is that the best way or should I set the main Cl, Tras, etc from CPU-Z and leave the rest at auto.

You mentioned cpuNB voltage but not the speed. At this point it could be a problem for you. I'd drop the cpuNB mutliplier (let's hope you have one!) back to 8X to keep the overall speed near 2000 MHz. In the end I managed to have a fair cpuNB speed but I OC'ed it seperatly from the CPU.

Unfortunately, my board or the processor does not allow me to set any multiplier except the CPU. As near I can tell, the NB is locked at 9x, which I've read elsewhere and which matches my NB Frequency listed in the Memory tab of CPU-Z, based on the FSB. I'm not sure the speed of the CPU-NB, unless that is what CPU-Z lists as the NB Frequency under the Memory tab.

I am a bit confused as to the terminology. I understand that the NB is the controller for data flowing between the CPU and RAM, etc. Base don this I assume the CPU-NB voltage and multi control the bandwidth and rate between the CPU and NB then on to other system parts. What I don't get is if teh CPU-NB controls the actual NB, the "other NB" on the processor, or exactly what part(s) are affected when I change the CPU-NB volts. Also, in my bios there is a Northbridge section within Chipset. There I can change some memory settings (bank interleaving, ganged, etc), ECC settings and I can also select an Alternate VID - from ~0.8V to 1.55V. Give the location and range of this setting, I assume this is for the True NB, the thing in the middle of my motherboard with the copper heatsink. AMD Overdrive (just used to see voltages, etc not shown elsewhere) shows the CPU VID at 1.15 and the NB VID at 1.25.

Thanks again and I look forward to learning more about all this.

The last issue I had at 2.8Ghz was the red wiggly dots on the screen(which looked fine otherwise, not a lot of dots either) and the system seemed frozen. I had a +100 mV to Processor and CPU-NB with 400mhz ran divider and spd latencies for 400. The HT freq was at 1220 at that time, could the HT have been to low and causing GPU issues, hence the funny screem and not a BSOD for clock or memory.

I realize might be able to answer some of these questions with further testing but I want to be cautius and understand things before I do them. The is little data in the net of OCing my processor and all give little bios settings and none use my board.

CPU-Z does show what the HW monitor in the Bios shows for CPU voltage, 1.24-1.28. I do not doubt you knowledge about safe voltages but as a reminder, I do not have a Black Edition of the Phenom I 9650. My board is pretty limited, the Processor Voltage and CPU-NB voltage are each limited to +50, +100, +150mV. Also, here is a link to my motherboard manual.
Well, the point about safe voltages is moot if you can only increase the vCore to 1.30v anyway. ;)

Just did that. I set all parameters using the SPD from AOD. Is that the best way or should I set the main Cl, Tras, etc from CPU-Z and leave the rest at auto.
To be more specific I'd use 6-6-6-18-24-2T @ 1.85 vDIMM with a 333 MHz speed setting.

Unfortunately, my board or the processor does not allow me to set any multiplier except the CPU. As near I can tell, the NB is locked at 9x, which I've read elsewhere and which matches my NB Frequency listed in the Memory tab of CPU-Z, based on the FSB. I'm not sure the speed of the CPU-NB, unless that is what CPU-Z lists as the NB Frequency under the Memory tab.
That's where NB speed is shown and having it locked at 9X may be a problem. I admit, I forgot the 9650 NB was only 9X instead of 10X.

I am a bit confused as to the terminology. I understand that the NB is the controller for data flowing between the CPU and RAM, etc. Base don this I assume the CPU-NB voltage and multi control the bandwidth and rate between the CPU and NB then on to other system parts. What I don't get is if teh CPU-NB controls the actual NB, the "other NB" on the processor, or exactly what part(s) are affected when I change the CPU-NB volts.
It's actually pretty simple but it sounds complicated. The cpuNB is on the CPU die and contains, among other things, the L3 cache, the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller), and the CPU's HT Link node. Outgoing data from the CPU cores goes through the L3 and is routed to either the IMC (RAM data) or HT Link (all other data).

The data on the HT Link has one of two destinations, the NB (chipset) or SB. Only primary slot video data goes to the NB (chipset), which is also where the IGP (Integrated Graphics Processor) is located if there is one. All other data on the HT Link goes to the SB where it splits to the PCIe bus (except primary video), PCI bus, or some other controller like USB.

Also, in my bios there is a Northbridge section within Chipset. There I can change some memory settings (bank interleaving, ganged, etc), ECC settings and I can also select an Alternate VID - from ~0.8V to 1.55V. Give the location and range of this setting, I assume this is for the True NB, the thing in the middle of my motherboard with the copper heatsink. AMD Overdrive (just used to see voltages, etc not shown elsewhere) shows the CPU VID at 1.15 and the NB VID at 1.25.
I don't know why any memory settings would be in with the chipset stuff. Maybe they didn't have any place else to put it. :shrug: AMD's memory data has been going straight to RAM from the CPU since s939 - a full generation past.

The NB voltage for a chipset with an IGP is 1.25-1.30v depending on the chipset. This can get confusing because the cpuNB voltage is also 1.25v for that CPU. However, the cpuNB voltage is often labeled "NB VID" in BIOS and NB (chipset) voltage is usually labeled "NB voltage". Another thing, the NB voltage is almost never lowered while the NB VID (cpuNB) does get lowered when using C1E and CoolNQuiet so I'd say that's what you're looking at, the cpuNB voltage.

Also, as a recap, the "True NB" as you describe it ("the thing in the middle of my motherboard with the copper heatsink") is only a connection to the primary PCIe video slot and is also the home of the IGP if there is one. Think of it as a video entrance/exit ramp on the HT Link highway ... :)

The last issue I had at 2.8Ghz was the red wiggly dots on the screen(which looked fine otherwise, not a lot of dots either) and the system seemed frozen. I had a +100 mV to Processor and CPU-NB with 400mhz ran divider and spd latencies for 400. The HT freq was at 1220 at that time, could the HT have been to low and causing GPU issues, hence the funny screem and not a BSOD for clock or memory.

I realize might be able to answer some of these questions with further testing but I want to be cautius and understand things before I do them. The is little data in the net of OCing my processor and all give little bios settings and none use my board.
I think this is the problem you're running into:
And really finally, I use only onboard graphics and have read ~1400 HT is plenty in that case. True?
I missed this last night when I read through the first post. Do you have any options for changing the IGP speed?

My bios has a Chipset Voltage in JUmperFree settings (also +50,+100,+150) it is currently at Auto. This is the 780 (iirc) that controls IGP. There is also a GPU clock speed which I set to auto. Finally, under Chipset is an internal graphics part whihc till now I have ignored. It is part of the Chipset section along with Northbridge.

So, the actual NB (the 780? Chipset) is the separate heatsinkwd part. In my Bios that is probably Alt VID under the NorthBridge section of Chipset? It's voltage is currently auto. The CPU-NB voltage in Jumperfree is the NB on the Processor, currently at +100 (don't know actual voltage but AOD says NB VID is 1.25 as shown in screenshot). CPU-z says vcore is 1.24-1.28, this is th Processor Voltage in jumperfree set to +100. I can go
to +150 in bios. Lowest stock voltage is 1.1 according to Asus but default I think is 1.15, which explains the +100 and CPUz reading.

Ram timings are set as specified but should the other settings be Auto or to SPD according to AOD?

If IGP is causing instability described, should I raise HT multiple or increase Chipset voltage (and if this should I also set Alt VID umber Northbrige section or use Chipset Voltage in JumperFree)?

Sorry for all the questions but thanks so much for the help and explination you've already covered, I understand much more now!

You might try adjusting the GPU speed one notch upward. If I remember correctly I had to do that when I was OC'ing my 9850 on an IGP board. If that doesn't help try two notches upward to see what happens.

I'd leave any voltages except CPU, cpuNB, and vDIMM on auto.

I'd leave the other RAM timings on auto as long as the main five and command rate (2T) are set manually.

You HT Link speed is fine where it is. If changing the IGP speed doesn't help then you could try increasing the chipset voltage (under JumperFree). If it's going to help you should only need to increase it one notch ...

Damn I hate it when one hits the backspace key and the browser goes back, just lost 20 minutes of typing a reply:( Try this again.....

Thanks for the reply QuiteIce!

I'm not sure how to adjust the GPU speed up. I've listed my BIOS Settings below, maybe you can shed more light, but it seems I need to increase my GPU clock speed or increase the Chipset (NB) voltage.

Bios Settings
JumperFree
Overclocking:
CPU OC - Manual
CPU/HT Ref Clk 244
PCIE - Manual 100
GPU OC - Auto (adjusts from 150-999 in manual; AOD says GPU engine 197 MHz, Memory 0)

CPU Ratio/Voltage:
Processor Multi - x11.5 2300 MHz
Processor Voltage - +100mV (options +50, +100, +150)
Processor-NB voltage - +100mV (options +50, +100, +150)

HT Config:
HT Speed - 1GHz (for a 5x multi)
HT Width - 16bit

Memory Timing/Voltage:
Clock - Manual
MemclkValue -333 (a 5:3 divider)
DRAM Timing- Both
CL 6
TRCD-6
TRP-6
TRAS-18
TRC-24
TRFC0-3 127.5ns
All others Auto
No Command Rate but AOD lists it as 2T
MemoryOvervoltage - 1.85625 (SPD is 1.8, lowest in bios not on autpo is 1.8500)

Chipset Overvoltage:
Auto (+50, +100, +150 are other options --- I assume this is the "True" NB voltage)

CPU Configuration
some basic CPU stats
Features like CE1, CnQ, Garf, Virtual, disabled
CPU Prefetch enabled (default)

Chipset
Northbridge:
Memory Config - things like bank and Channel Interleaving, etc. All on defaults except changed to UNGANGED memory
ECC - all disabled
Alternate VID - Auto

Internal graphics:
DisplayPort, Primary Controller, Primary Display, all defaults
Changed Primary Controller to IGFX from GFX0 since only graphics are internal - just change this now.

My Current settings as read from CPU-Z, CPUID HW Monitor, AOD, and CoreTemp:
vCore 1.28 idle/ 1.23 Load (CPU-Z, HW Monitor and AOD under board monitoring all match)
CoreSpeed 2808MHz
Multi x11.5
Bus Speed 244
HT Link (Freq) 1220 MHz
DRAM Freq 407
NB Frequency 2198 (load) - found under CPU-Z Memory tab and AOD System Info)
Processor running at 87.4W -always runs at this exact wattage unless CnQ is on.

Temps with Prime95 at 100% CPU Load for 55minutes now (stabilized temps after about 10-15 minutes) ambiwnt temps in low 80s F.
TMPIN0 55 ---pretty sure this is NB but not completely sure
PEMPIN1 36 -- Board Temp
Cores 47

Temps from HW Monitor, CoreTemp and AOD all match +/- 1 degree due to rounding

A final thought occurs to me regarding the pixelated screen freeze from last night: I have Win7 power settings set to put monitor to sleep after 20 minutes and I'm not sure how long it sat idle. Did not seem long enough to affect anything but it is a fact. I will turn that off for now, just in case.

Last edited:
I believe the "GPU OC" is the IGP speed, though it's hard to know for sure. Hmmm, one has to wonder if the actual stock speed of that is 160 MHz and the clock is making it run at 197, which could be unstable. Try lowering that down to 160 MHz to see if the dots on your monitor go away. If that doesn't work try it the other way around by increasing the IGP to maybe 225-230 or so.

Note that this is all new to me as I've never used your chipset before. My previous IGP board was a 790GX and the GPU clock started at 500-something (IIRC), which I had to increase for stability ...

Ran Prime for almost 2 hours then tried to rely to the above and BSOD - a hardware error occured. Think it's worth using the dump file to track the issue? The screen got all wonky then black, then BSOD.

I'll use this opportunity to lower the CPU clock and try to learn more about how the IGP speed relates, if it does.

Thanks for all the help and I'll post back tomorrow when I know more about the IGP. I'll definately have more questions soon:)

Updates:

I found an AMD GPU clock tool that I used to read the GPU clock and memory. It did not work right, apparently some sort of driver hack is needed and it simply always tried to read the PCI in the IGP. It also always said 197 MHZ, o mem. I then found GPU-Z from TechPowerUp that showed Default Clock: 350, mem 333 and current Clock 344, mem 394. I tried many bios changes of the CPU clock, HT Link, Memory divider and CPU Multi, GPU_Z always said the same with the GPU OverClock in Bios on Auto. If I changed it to Manual and selected 400, GPU-Z showed 394 and memory and default read 400/400.

I wonder if that is the real default for this IGP?

I redid the CPU clock test with everything else low and I can get 245 to work fine but higher may or may not post and always ends up getting the funny screen and freezing. I've gone as high as +150mv vCore, +100 CPU-NB and +100 Chipset (NB) with no change. Memory was at 6-6-6-18-24 and 266. Tried 333 also with no change. HT Freq for all of this was 1200-1400 mHZ. Should I try a higher HT since stock is supposed to be 1800? Should I try upping the GPU speed, and if so, how much? Seems like at best I will be limited to a <~250 Clock, for a 2.8-2.9 core.

I am currently working on the memory latency settings at 400 with a low CPU and HT. I cont loosen up 400 at all but I am changing one at a time and tightening them. Now gotten far with that though yet.

Question here, when I tighten one (starting with TRAS) until it fails, do I go up one and leave it there to tighten the next latency (which one next) or do I set it as loose as possible and tighten the next (which should be next?)?

Dennis

The only way I know to find the default speeds for the IGP is to set everything back to stock and take a look - unless you can hunt down some information about the chipset where it lists the IGP specs. Considering my past results for finding specific chipset data it would probably be quicker to set your BIOS back to stock for a quick minute. ;)

I don't know enough about RAM to advise you on that ...

Thanks.

Default in Bios is simply auto. When switched to manual it starts at 500 (150-999 range). I may try setting to default and checking that way. GPU-Z does seem to match within a couple MHz any manual setting, 350, 400, 450.

here is what I have learned. My CPU Multi has a max 11.5, there is no NB multi but I have asked at the Asus forum if any bios updates address this. My CPU bus seems to max out at around 245 regardless of voltage. I do not know if the CPU is limited or if the NB Frequency gets too high. I'm pretty sure its a NB problem as using a lower CPU Multi (9) at 250 has serious problems, even with vCore +150mV and CPU-NB +100 and Chipset +100. I think unless a bios update addresses the NB, I'm limited to ~244, which gives me ~2.8 Ghz.

I can get my ram stable at 210x11.5 a notch down at 400 (I can run at 5-5-5-15-20 instead of SPD 6-6-6-18-24) but I notice no difference in program use. I may try to benchmark that later. I have to reduce the Ram divider to 333 at CPU Bus above 235 in order to pass post. Currently at 244x11.5, vCore 1.25-1.28, CPU-NB +50mV, Chipset +50mV, Ram @333 6-6-6-18-24, GPU manual at 400. I'd like to see if I can tighten the Ram more.

1-1.5 hrs of Prime95 in ambient 83F stabalizes temps at around 55c (NB I think), 38C MB, 45C CPU. Is that NB temp too high? Idle is ~37/36/30 in same ambient. Doing heavy Photoshop processing or playing Quake 2 for 1+ hour gets temps ~40/36/38.

Thoughts????

Would have never thought to look at the Wiki for IGPs. I use the nVidia Wiki for CUDA comparisons but never noticed IGPs there.

Given that infromation I'd set the IGP clock to 350.

That first temp is probably the MOSFETs or something near them instead of the NB. Usually the NB doesn't heat up a whole lot with Prime95, but the MOSFETs do. If it's getting to 55°C on P95 with that high of an ambient you should be OK since that's about as hot as it's ever going to get.

You're probably right about the cpuNB speed holding you back. :(

Thanks Trents for that info and welcome to the discussion!

Given that infromation I'd set the IGP clock to 350.

Wonder if and how much one can OC the GPU? My experiences to day suggest that the GPU runs at about stock when set to auto, regardless of any other settings.

I've been running very stable with Priime95 for the past 4.5 hours, at 244x11.5, GPU 400, HTmulti 5x (1464), vcore +100 (1.26-1.28 idle/1.22-1.24 load), CPU-NB +50mV, Chipset +50mV, RAMDiv 333 @ 5-5-5-15-20 1.85V. Temps max at 55C (MOSFETS?)/36C (board)/ 48C (cores) Load: 36/32/30 Idle at mid 80sF ambient but load at 48/32/42 at low 70sF ambient.

first temp is probably the MOSFETs or something near them instead of the NB. Usually the NB doesn't heat up a whole lot with Prime95, but the MOSFETs do. If it's getting to 55°C on P95 with that high of an ambient you should be OK since that's about as hot as it's ever going to get.

That makes sense actually. I rigged my old HSF uo to blow in the NB today and see no difference. I touched the NB when it had been running for a while and it was barely warm to the touch (since body temp is 37C, that is logical). The MOSFETs get some extra air on them from the Freezer Pro I installed a couple days ago and that first temp reading is lower than before. I did not tough the MOSFETS bit the SB HS was hot to the touch. Good to know those temps should be fine.

Think its work re-rigging the fan to blow on them, or don't worry since regular "heavy" use does not raise those temps past 45C?

You're probably right about the cpuNB speed holding you back. :(

So sad:( I've not heard anything back from the Asus forum , except for a moderator asking if I meant HT Link.

Given the settings I just posted, any thoughts to my next step. Lower the Chipset and/or GPU OC? Mess with RAM more? I wish I could loosen the RAM more at 400 but can only increase CL, TRAS and TRC. I tried loosening the CL to 7 and had POST issues. I need to learn more about RAM!

Seems to me the next step is hope 1) hope for Bios update for NB multi, 2) see if ram can be loosened to use 400 instead of 333 to OC the ram (would get 488 MHz oc'd from 400 instead of 406 MHz now at 333), try to lower voltages ---- is this really a concern or just a concern for me as a novice? Ideally, I would not significantly shorten the life of the components. Another 2-3 years from this would be nice, at which point I can get new MB/CPU/RAM/PSU,

I'd relish thoughts and ooinions on the last paragraph:)

Thanks again to you both!

Back