• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first WC build...help is appreciated :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Woah...I submitted a monster post yesterday and its not here....

Anyway, I have a much better understanding of fans/radiators now or at least a much better understanding than I did yesterday. :)

Does anyone have any advice on questions 4 and 8? Especially on 8 as I am having trouble finding multiple info sources on the XT.

Thanks

WR

Spawn, post a pic and a description of your awesome setup. It will help.
:)

img0328f.jpg

specs of the loop and my cpu overclock.
Q6600 GO
3.5GHz
Actual: idle 1.4v load 1.38v
Bios: 1.425v

Load temps: 35-37-35-35

idle temps: 27-30-28-28

ambient temps: 26C
water temp: 27.7C (load)

water air delta 1.7C :)

loop order: MicroRes v2 > MCP655 > MCP655 > MCR320 > MCR320 > MCR320 > Dtek Fuzion V2 > MCW60

Fans: 18 push pull High speed (88CFM) yate loons.

if your wondering why i have 2 pumps it's not because 2 are needed, but i had 2 from when i was running dual loops. the main reason i put the second in was for safety. i will leave this run overnight now.

here is the worklog i started here. not much of a work log, i suck that that kind of stuff.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=611339

for question 4. i too over psu. i have a 850 for my current setup (see sig) and it's plenty. for yours i would grab a corsair 1000watt. if i had the money and sold my current psu i would switch over to that one.

for question 8 the xt beat out the heatkiller by a bit so in the end it comes down to taste and money. which do you like.

4. I think the 1kW Corsair might be a little much, but when looking into PSUs more is always (always) better than less. With two 260's, I'd go for the Corsair 850HX or 850TX depending on whether you like modular or not, respectively.

8. Full Apogee XT review & i7 block round up, both by Vapor. Testing doesn't get any better than that. I actually have an XT on the way (YAY!), but it won't get here until next week and lord knows when I'll have time to install it.

are you going to take apart the block hokie? XT i mean. wondering what the internal will be like (pin issue i mean)

I got a xmas XT in a box. Not gonna look. A few meaning FEW have any issues. I'll rinse and slap the sucker on for my annual build, after xmas. Hope I'm not one of the very few with poor cuts.

But of course I am! I'm guessing a few will be bent on the outside that would not affect cooling in any way. Then again, it's the new revision (thankfully coming with the 1156 bracket) and they may have gotten better.

@Spawn...I really really like your wall mounted radiator set-up. It is that sort of out of the box (figuratively and literally) that I want with my enclosure solution. Major props as well as that is an intense looking loop/RAD setup, no wonder your Delta T is so low.

@hokiealumnus (which for some reason I keep reading as homunculus)...very thank you for the links...that cemented the XT as my CPU block choice

If I am changing both of my pumps to the MCP355's (spec'd for 3/8" ID tubing) should I get 3/8" ID tubing instead of the 1/2"?

I was reading the link in Conundrum's guide about how 7/16" is ideal for the way it fits on the barbs and such. Would it make sense then to use the 3/8" tubing when necessary and the 7/16" everywhere else? Can I still use 7/16" for both loops? Or should I just stick to 3/8"

Also, has anyone every tried using plumber's putty or any other leak preventative along the joints as a sort of insurance plan?

For the cooling liquid...Where do you guys get your distilled water? And how do you prefer to concoct the mixture? There seems to be and endless array of mixtures.

I am still having a hard time finding information about GPU and NB water blocks. Is there somewhere that has information on these matters?

I think thats all for now. Thanks all

WR

@Spawn...I really really like your wall mounted radiator set-up. It is that sort of out of the box (figuratively and literally) that I want with my enclosure solution. Major props as well as that is an intense looking loop/RAD setup, no wonder your Delta T is so low.

@hokiealumnus (which for some reason I keep reading as homunculus)...very thank you for the links...that cemented the XT as my CPU block choice

If I am changing both of my pumps to the MCP355's (spec'd for 3/8" ID tubing) should I get 3/8" ID tubing instead of the 1/2"?

I was reading the link in Conundrum's guide about how 7/16" is ideal for the way it fits on the barbs and such. Would it make sense then to use the 3/8" tubing when necessary and the 7/16" everywhere else? Can I still use 7/16" for both loops? Or should I just stick to 3/8"

Also, has anyone every tried using plumber's putty or any other leak preventative along the joints as a sort of insurance plan?

For the cooling liquid...Where do you guys get your distilled water? And how do you prefer to concoct the mixture? There seems to be and endless array of mixtures.

I am still having a hard time finding information about GPU and NB water blocks. Is there somewhere that has information on these matters?

I think thats all for now. Thanks all

WR

if your going with the MCP355's then you will want some aftermarket tops for them. this will let you use 1/2" and give a good performance increase from them. XSPC Res Top this is a really good top and has a built in res so there is less fittings involved. Make sure that if you do get the tops your install the oring. the pump will leak and likely kill itself.

there is no need for teflon tape, silicone or pipe dope for any of the fittings in a loop. the Oring that should be on every barb you get will prevent leaks.

for me, in Canada (same for usa), distilled water is in the bottled water section of most grocery stores.

all you need to add is a biocide. the 2 best options are silver and/or PT nuke PHN.

i use silver plated fittings and pt nuke. i had the pt nuke from before so might as well use it.

silver kill coil

Silver Strip

PT nuke PHN

for distilled water you can use the stuff from the supermarket that has been run through a process called reverse ozmosis that is basically as good as distilled water

Whiskey Romeo, sorry about that, but your big post got caught up by our anti-spam filters and was moderated. I approved the post just now, so it should be visible. This occasionally happens to our new members, but the spam filters slack off on this after some posts by you. I am sorry this happened, but without these spam filters in place the Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese and African spammers would overrun the forums. If you make a post in the future and it doesn't show up, please PM a Moderator to look into it as it might have gotten caught wrongly by the spam filters. You can PM me if you don't see a Moderator online, but I am at work on a drilling rig working the night shift so I might not respond very quickly.

Enjoy yourself here at OCForums, man! :thup:

mudd

Woah...I submitted a monster post yesterday and its not here....

Anyway, I have a much better understanding of fans/radiators now or at least a much better understanding than I did yesterday. :)

Does anyone have any advice on questions 4 and 8? Especially on 8 as I am having trouble finding multiple info sources on the XT.

Thanks

WR

Back