• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new RAM doesn't work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tannimun

Hi. I don't know much about computers, and can't figure this out on my own.
I got my new 8gb ram today, upgrading from 4gb (computer spec says 8gb max and siw 16gb max), but when I star the laptop after changing I either get a blue screen with something like: "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" or "BAD_POOL_HEADER" or similar. Or the computer gets to a page where I can choose to start it normaly or do like a repair/search or something, and from there it just rebots back to the same page in a loop. I have tried to boot in safe mode but the result is the same.
My new RAM is: Corsair Vengeance SO-DIMM DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL9 2x4GB (CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9)
My old is: Samsung SO-DIMM DDR3 PC10600/1333MHz CL9 2GB (M471B5673FH0-CH9)
Laptop: Acer Aspire TimelineX 5820tg
CPU: Intel Core i5 450M
Mobo: Acer JM51_CP (Intel)
BIOS: INSYDE V1.25
Windows 7 64-bit
Just tell me what else you need to know. I have two hard drives, the old original and a completly new SSD with a fresh windows insall. Both drives gives the same result.
I have tried both cards separete and together in all different combinations but the result is the same either way. Is the new RAM not compatible with the computer? I thought if that was the case the computer wouldn't start at all. Now it starts but says there is something wrong.
Please help me figure this out, I'm so lost.

Have you tried just 1 stick of the new ram? Might also be the fact that the new ram is 1600 vs the old ram of 1333.

@Tannimun, In notebooks there are no memory settings ( at least not in these popular home/office series ) so you can't do much about it. Check if slots are dust-free. You can also run memtest86+. If it won't help then best will be to exchange memory to some 1333 sticks or just try other brand/series.
Your memory is probably running as 1333 9-9-9 auto settings even though you bought 1600. It's backward compatible if producer made SPD right.

Back