• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My OC record with Amd Fx 8120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yeah and ofc it helped my pc with and extra Radiator + new and twice as good water pump cooling ftw! :D

Benchies will be thrown soon @ highest

Here it goes 5,04ghz with some serious heat and Voltages.. however it ran quite well.. (p95 tested), i know the heat is like having a flamethrower at your components but i just had to do it! :p and have in mind i have a serious LC system.. "dont do this at home" xD

Max cinebench.png

and just to honor my case that is finished this day :p
Complete LC case.jpg

Last edited:
You just monsterd that 12 core opteron, nice.

I tell you what tho, 72c cores and 83c CPU,- it makes me wonder if AMD's thermal tolerance is somewhat to conservatively set.

Those temps are at the higher end of what Intel SB run at overclocked.

yeah.. i believe at some point heat wasent right.. my watercooling kept 100% speed and it couldnt kill the heat.. even my water wasen about the 25* max.. dunno..

however at 4,8ghz shown on Cinebench aswell its quite decent in degrees it was max 51* so theres got to be a explanation for it :) guess the sensors are throwen into hell at that point xD

Nice :). Try to up your NB and HT to 2400 MHz or 2600 MHz. I haven't got mine stable at 2600 MHz no matter what I do.

These are at 4.4 GHz and NB&HT 2.4 GHz

Geekbench 2.3.1 (32-bit): 11960
Processor integer performance: 12490
Processor floating point performance: 17778
Memory performance: 4492
Memory bandwidth performance: 4685

Cinebench 11.5 (64-bit): CPU 7.27

x264 FHD Benchmark 1.0.1 (64-bit): 1.45 s, 23.7 fps

it will have to wait until i know more about clocking the NB and HT :p ive never tried that atm :)

damn! I cant get lower than 1,4 aprox i would like to know if its the motherboards or some but i see all thats using gigabytw got hihger top voltages tho hihgerclocks aswell :)

1,32 - 4.0
1,36 - 4.2
1.38 - 4.4
1.45 - 4.8

ravara, i have been trying this at home and toasted my ram so i am down for a while.
awsome clock. i want your cpu and cooling loop!!!!!

ravara, i have been trying this at home and toasted my ram so i am down for a while.
awsome clock. i want your cpu and cooling loop!!!!!

aww man sad to hear about ur barbacue.. how the hell did you do it? :p

Edit - i must say im not running 5.0ghz as everyday clock i simply dont have the balls to do that lol

i found some thing on the net that when you reach 5,0 or about that its so hot that the cooling cant transfer enough heat with regular LC water.. im thinking of trying something with better heat transfer value but i guess that will be way over my head in cash.. but to state a fact i am well amazed over AMD and Gigabytes components! they should so much sponsor me LOL :D

cooked it trying to keep up with you buddy.
I think we might have to go to gold waterblocks!!!!!!

cooked it trying to keep up with you buddy.
I think we might have to go to gold waterblocks!!!!!!

haha! well you just triggered the geek side of me.. gold isnt that much better than Copper not to mention if we could get Copper plates on our cpus instead of aluminium plates (the grey block we put paste on) then the transfer could be better :p perhaps watercooling on the Socket to keep it lower aswell xD!!! :D

actually it wouldnt be that hard to work out, jsut find a thermal active + non conducting material and make a socket :p

damn! I cant get lower than 1,4 aprox i would like to know if its the motherboards or some but i see all thats using gigabytw got hihger top voltages tho hihgerclocks aswell :)

1,32 - 4.0
1,36 - 4.2
1.38 - 4.4
1.45 - 4.8
I'lll take that back, it took 1.236 V for stable prime overnight. Try LLC 75%, dunno how it works on Gigabyte but with this board LLC 75% keeps constant voltage without fluctuations and i'm able to take the voltage very low.

I'lll take that back, it took 1.236 V for stable prime overnight. Try LLC 75%, dunno how it works on Gigabyte but with this board LLC 75% keeps constant voltage without fluctuations and i'm able to take the voltage very low.

If im right LLC is like a easy tune it makes sure the voltages can throttle a bit, so that its easier to.keep a clock with lower voltages but how you can keep it so low is a mystery :p but i have seen that most gigabyte boards run high :p

If im right LLC is like a easy tune it makes sure the voltages can throttle a bit, so that its easier to.keep a clock with lower voltages but how you can keep it so low is a mystery :p but i have seen that most gigabyte boards run high :p

This is from ssjwizard from another thread
I did some testing with 4.4 GHz. If I want to get it Prime stable I have to go over 1.360 V with LLC off, now if I change the voltage to default and just enable LLC UH (75%) it gives max vCore 1.320 V on 4.4 GHz and it's stable.

With LLC it gives better temperatures and needs less voltage to be stable on Prime.

I left Hardware Monitor open on the background and not once it recorded any weird voltage jumps on Prime95, benchmarks, gaming or heavy video encoding. It was max 1.320 V.
Thats pretty much the behavior of FX. They are very good at handling dynamic voltage. This is one of the very important differences between the 9xx series and previous generations of AMD motherboards/CPUs. When the 900 series boards came out people complained about it alot to the manufactures and the response was these boards follow AMD specs for the zambezi architecture.

On Asus M5A99X-EVO, if you run for example 4.0 GHz with LLC 75%, voltage is steady, there are no throttle on voltages. It is steady 1.234V on all scenarions i've tried. If i would raise multiplier and leave the volage same, I would imagine LLC adds as much as needed but still gets away with much less voltage than in older boards. On some configurations this seems to make miracles :)

Last edited:
I have now 4.2 GHz at 1.26V (set on BIOS), LLC set to 75%, it has been running prime for couple of hours now and hw monitor shows min voltage 1.24 (idle) and 1.26 max. Cores are at 41°C.

Last edited:
Back