• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My overclock is deemed stable when: ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

24 hours Prime85 Blend passes without errors(usually 21-22actually)

What about you?

Mine is stable until it is unstable. Can't prove stability, only gain some confidence. Prime95 is a big one of mine, but not exclusively as it only stresses some parts. I like Realbench (1h) as backup, and aida64 to a lesser extent.

I used to use P95 for 48+ hours but now , Then I used OCCT/aida64/realbench Pass's these for a few hours each . But I have a new process now I go play CSGO I have had oc's that are 24+ hours OCCT/realbench stable crash CS in under 10min . So if I can play cs for 30min then I start stressing with the other programs . I also work in reverse from most PPL I start with a high oc / voltage and work my way down I find it takes less time then stressing every setting from 3.4-4.8 . I would probably find somthing middle ground first like 4.5 @ 1.3v . ( so I have a setting I can use ) then go for higher .

Mine's "stable" when I pass 2 hours of AIDA 64, can run 3dmark on an endless loop, and DX benchmarks let me go without issues.

Hasn't failed me yet for my uses.

If I can play my game of choice for 32 straight hours without crashing.

Dear sir, 32 straight hours of gameplay!??:eek::eek:

Thank you everyone else for chiming in, this is great! :)

LOL...Ive changed over the years...

It was a few hours of P95 Small FFT and Blend (worked out fine)... then I moved to AIDA a couple years ago (also worked out fine)... now I use ASUS Realbench stress test for a couple of hours (also works out fine).

24h Prime 95 tests are pointless. I run IBT on the high setting and call it done. It takes about 5 min and then I am done. I almost never have stability issues with any program after running IBT on high, and running P95 for 24 hours adds nothing of value to me. On the rare occasion that the computer does lock up, I just add a bit of voltage and then it works fine again. No reason to spend forever determining what can really be determined in 5 minutes.

Yes, yes someone I going to say that's BS and 5 min does not prove anything, but my experience says otherwise. That's the only type of stability testing I've ever done and I've been overclocking since single core CPUs were the top-tier and it's always worked fine for me.

- - - Updated - - -

24h Prime 95 tests are pointless. I run IBT on the high setting and call it done. It takes about 5 min and then I am done. I almost never have stability issues with any program after running IBT on high, and running P95 for 24 hours adds nothing of value to me. On the rare occasion that the computer does lock up, I just add a bit of voltage and then it works fine again. No reason to spend forever determining what can really be determined in 5 minutes.

Yes, yes someone I going to say that's BS and 5 min does not prove anything, but my experience says otherwise. That's the only type of stability testing I've ever done and I've been overclocking since single core CPUs were the top-tier and it's always worked fine for me.

This is what I do:

Set voltage at 1.3v
Set clock at 4.6 Ghz.
Run IBT on High.
Restart computer and increase clock in 100mhz steps until computer crashes.
Downclock 100 Mhz, add 0.3v and then call it done. Works perfectly fine and takes less than 30 min for the whole thing.

When I can go 1hour without punching the screen due to instability!

But in all seriousness, an hour of P95 + solid hour of trying various games. I've had overclocks at 5GHz stable on air/liquid for i5/i7 Sandy and Ivy in the past, and they ran perfectly without any issue up until I went to play a game. Several hours of encoding or video/photo editing and no hiccup, but 20minutes of Counter-Strike and suddenly I angered the computer gods!

2h Prime95 Blend AVX 1 (not 2), I only play and web at the moment and this garantees me zero crashes/BSOD even if I game 16h/day with a heavy overclock. Anything else like video editing (x264/x265) or fold I use Prime95 Blend (AVX2 latest version) 12h-24h respectively. Tested it over the space of 5y in Intel and AMD, so far no issues or file corruption.

I sometimes got errors on 18th hour on prime95 blend, so 2 hours may not work:chair:

You may get errors 18 hours in, but, are tou stable for your uses??? If so, then who cares. :)

Exactly my point, thank you for re-iterating ;) like I said, 2h for me so far ensures zero crashes in games and day to day general use and no file corruption. If I need anything else then I have BIOS profiles saved for 12h to 24h stress test I did previously.

IBT is decent but it’s horribly outdated and doesn’t test for AVX2, so Prime95 will do till we get something better.

But I still think it may be bad.. :chair:
Imagine all you do is surf and she's stable, but then you get crazy urge to run structural analysis of a bridge you're contrated to build tomorrow and you run the software and it crashed!!

I am concerned about this kind of methododology regarding stability. Even update to your browser might deem your email check doomed if you were on borderline stable and somehow update to your Netscape browser turns out more demanding on system

Well, logic would tell you to stress test for your worst use case. Again, stable for YOU and YOUR uses.

If you want to stress test for 24 hours just in case... nobody is stopping you. ;)

I, personally, test overnight. I ues P95, IBT, XTU, and my favorite Aida64. I use all of them, but use Aida64 and leave it on overnight. In the am when I'm having my coffee and it's still running, then I call that rock steady stable. Done! :D

Back