• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my presler 920 thread, up and running :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Surfrat said:
Sounds like your chip is the same PoS as mine. Mine will run 3.5ghz - 250 fsb perfectly, but any higher and the vcore demands go throught he roof. Basically this chip just sucks!!

i might try to RMA it through newegg... give them something about it not wanting to boot or something like that. the only reason i bought this chip was because of how good everyone was doing with it. im going to be REALLY FREAKIN MAD if i dont hit 4ghz, i mean thats all i want. its all ive ever wanted, even with my old prescott and that pos topped out at 3.7 too. i HATE my luck. im never going to vegas. if this water doesnt do it... god help my neighbors ears as im going to yell so loud.

and i KNOW my chip has more in it, but i dont have proper cooling and i need to lapp the cpu first. i think im gonna do it, just gotta get the stuff.

wow, massive update here guys. i got bored and decided to clean all the wires up in my case, as well as remove the big typhoon and clean/reapply the AS5 and make sure everything was seated properly...

TEMPS AT IDLE HAVE DROPPED BY 20C!!!!!!

its now idleing at 23c. thats incredible. im about to run dual primes and see what it does. i definately think that the BT wasnt seated properly now that i see these temps. could have been because i didnt clean/reapply as5 when i changed out to the celeron for bios update. what a dumb*** move on my part.

HOLY CRAP WHAT A DIFFERENCE, ITS AT 35C FULLY LOADED OMG. now i can start trying to up the vcore that my temps are respectable.

voltage is set at 1.3 in bios, fsb is 229, running 3.2ghz. time to up it a tad bit.

Won't be long until you decide to water cool your system. Look at me, took two days after owning the presler and I went to a water cooling solution.

M Powered said:
Won't be long until you decide to water cool your system. Look at me, took two days after owning the presler and I went to a water cooling solution.

wont be long? its already been ordered. christmas came a little late this year :santa:

josh478 said:
wont be long? its already been ordered. christmas came a little late this year :santa:
came a little late you mean :p

edit, knew those temps seemed high, glad you got the hsf working right. :)

josh478 said:

Congrats! What did you ended up getting?

For me water-cooling took a big burden off my back, no longer was I worried about heat when leaving the system benching for hours, now I can just boot and be worry (heat) free :)

i got the swiftech apex. it seemed like the only KIT i was confident enough to run that would cool adequately. im only going to be running a CPU block, so im hoping for mid 30's under full load and maybe 1.55+ vcore.

on another note, anyone help me get this thing to 4.4 on air? i dont know whats the safe amount of voltage i can run. ive run 1.5 in the bios before, and at 4.13 it wont let me do a pcmark04 test.

josh478 said:
i got the swiftech apex. it seemed like the only KIT i was confident enough to run that would cool adequately. im only going to be running a CPU block, so im hoping for mid 30's under full load and maybe 1.55+ vcore.

on another note, anyone help me get this thing to 4.4 on air? i dont know whats the safe amount of voltage i can run. ive run 1.5 in the bios before, and at 4.13 it wont let me do a pcmark04 test.

cool, i'd be interested to know your temps also, i've thought about possibly getting that kit.

Sounds like you're being a little heavy on the voltage. Planning to run 1.55v every day? My chip on air tops out at 4300mhz, with 1.4v. Anything more it just doesn't make it into windows... semi stable at 4200, dual prime stable @ 4005

isp said:
cool, i'd be interested to know your temps also, i've thought about possibly getting that kit.

Sounds like you're being a little heavy on the voltage. Planning to run 1.55v every day? My chip on air tops out at 4300mhz, with 1.4v. Anything more it just doesn't make it into windows... semi stable at 4200, dual prime stable @ 4005

no, thats jsut the reading on the asus monitoring program, which is HORRIBLE. its not accurate except for temps at all. and thats the overvolting of my board as well, it drops to like 1.45 under load. i got a score of 7604 with pcmark04, thats not too bad considering my video card is not the best. but yeah, once i get water cooling, 1.5 every day will be run if thats what it takes for 4.5ghz.

josh478 said:

No not going to happen!! Consider D94 has the best 920 we have seen thus far, and he is 4.4 on water!

Surfrat said:
No not going to happen!! Consider D94 has the best 920 we have seen thus far, and he is 4.4 on water!

i thought there were a few at 4.8? well if 4.4 is the best, then im very happy with my stable 4.0

josh478 said:
i thought there were a few at 4.8? well if 4.4 is the best, then im very happy with my stable 4.0

You should be! 1.2ghz OC on air is real good. When you stable at 4.0, how are you defining stable? PCmark04, prime 95.

pcmark04. scored 7604. havent done prime 95 yet because im waiting till i go to sleep to run that.

M Powered said:
I can probably hit 4.4Ghz on my 920 But I'm not brave enough to go past 1.45V :)

I'll settle for my 4.2

mine wont boot over 3.8 under 1.45v

im just going to wait for the water, then crank it up real nice.

I hit vc walls at 280, 290, 300. ran stock vc to 280 (didn't test how stable), 290 at 1.425 724 stable folding.

I tried getting mine stable at 4.5 on water ... went all the way to 1.5875 VC - could not get a pcmark04 score. Highest stable (dual folding for >24 hrs)on water is 310. On air, it was 290 vc=1.425.

I also got it to boot, get a cpuz verified, ran sandra, and ran pmmark04 but failed at test 6. This was at 322/4.5 ghz with vc = 1.4625 on air. With a big typhoon, caseless.

Have been running nearly a week at 1.55 on water dual folding at 310. Lowered it down today to 1.45 and 300 stable dual folding.

Playing with mem timings now. Will try VC a bit lower after folding a day stable at tighter mem timings and higher speed. corsair 5400c4 at 800 4-4-3-12

mobo is p5wd2, psu is ocz420.

M Powered said:
I can probably hit 4.4Ghz on my 920 But I'm not brave enough to go past 1.45V :)

I'll settle for my 4.2

That's a sign of Intelligence! Guys, remember why we do this, for performance. if you wanna do it for max OC's make sure you can afford to replace it. If you don;t want to replace it, it's not wise to push it. Voltage kills. It won;t within reason, but getting that last couple hundred out can sometimes end in...well, you know.

Just ask yourself "Would I be willing to risk the chip to see what it will do?"

If the answer is yes, then failure wouldn't be fun, but you probably have enough to replace it. If it's not worth the risk then wouldn't. OC'ing has become alot more freindly, but it is still risky to a certain degree.

i think i might actually lower mine down to acceptable voltage levels(under 1.5 indicated, so like 1.425 in bios). really made me think i dont want to ruin this thing, id hate to replace it.

josh478 said:
i think i might actually lower mine down to acceptable voltage levels(under 1.5 indicated, so like 1.425 in bios). really made me think i dont want to ruin this thing, id hate to replace it.

Sounds like yours is only workin well with lots of vcore. Post some screen shots with cpuz - pcmark04 - and dual prime when ya can. with temps. I can tell ya mine would do over 3.7 dual prime stable. It's sold and I will be buying another 920 Monday. Hopefully better results.

Don't let me scare you now. I definitely don't want to make people "gun shy", but just wanted to make sure that everybody excercises caution.

Yes, I burned a chip up. I damn good 2.4C, and it was a cherry! That thing clocked like mad, but I pushed it, and it went...yep it flew, and I pushed it again, and a few hours later.......

SNDS! (Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome)

I could've kicked myself. Some thing was telling me NOT to do it, but the FSB devil inside me said "Nah, let's kick it up there just a hair more...it'll b 'ight"

I'm very cautious to take my time now, and if anything...PCMark, MemTest, any game or app, or ANYthing does not act right, I cut it down and find out why.

If it's stable and it's cool it's good to go, bt make sure it is. 1.5 is *probably* ok, although nobody can be positive. This is new technology, and 65nm technology is not 90nm technology. Those unknowns are the risks.

It really is fairly safe, but there is always risks with OC'ing. I have done it for a good long while now, and have had success other than that one time. That one time I was doing something I shouldn't have done though.

Listen to those voices. If you think it safe, then it's probably ok, but if something tells you "This is getting risky" then it is.

Some people will take more risks, and they are more into the OC'ing as a performance hobby...kinda like racing cars. If you get into the extreme OC'ing there isn't a thing wrong with it...just be aware that there still is *some* risk involved. :)

Back