• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED My RIG is totally destroyed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dj1992

I don't know if you guys will believe this. I was at my uncle's house spending my vacation. I went there on Friday evening. Before going, I turned off my PC. The mains were all turned OFF. Today evening, I received my call from my mother that the UPS has turned itself ON and was making a beep noise. I immediately rushed to my home and found that the UPS was running on battery power and the mains were still turned OFF. Then I smelt something burning. I opened the case and found that the smell was coming from the PSU. Then I noticed that the graphics card had liquid coming out from the PCB. I have air cooling-no water cooling. After testing, I have confirmed that the PSU is dead, but I am afraid to test my Graphics card coz I don't want to short out my mobo. There are no visible signs of burns, only the smell. Can someone explain to me what the hell happened? My old mom is totally noob about computers and doesn't even no how to switch on a PC. I am thinking of returning the 7950 and the PSU, since its just 6 months old and under warranty, but the problem is will they accept burnt items? The PC which is being talked about here is the one in my SIG. Pls friends, I need your suggestions on this one.

All i can say is call the Vendors your have your Warranty with and, Explain what happened.

Hopefully they will understand you took all the precautions before going away and start the RMA process with you, to return the damaged items.

Maybe the other members that have had a similar experiences will drop by and help you as well.

Respectfully,

AJ.

Faulty UPS that kicked on and caused a surge? Is it still working? That's the only thing I can think of. That's just weird. But like Ajay said, best thing to do is contact them for warranty work, and maybe contact the PSU or UPS manufacturers, see if they've heard of anything like this, and if they have some sort of coverage warranty in place.

While you were gone, a thunderstorm came through and you caught a bad dose of lightening that triggered the UPS or the power went out and came back on while you were on vacation or the UPS was somehow sending power to the PSU while the PC was turned OFF while the switch in the back of the PSU was still ON and sending high voltage to the GPU and melted the soldering. Can I ask what color fluid was on the GPU or dripping from it?

I really don't know and that does sound crazy so take my guess of what happened with a grain of salt. Never heard anything like this before.

I would do some research and check forums before going with the RMA's. The UPS and PSU company could end up pointing fingers at each other while you're in the middle of it all so you'll want to get a little bit of some type of information before explaining what happened. Take pictures of all of this as this can help your case for the RMAs! Document it all and show us pics.

we want more than just 1 picture. we want plenty of them.

and im sure rolling thunder would say the same thing!

OK....I'll post some pics of my PSU when I return home tonight. I borrowed my friend's PSU, connected it to my MOBO with all the components, powered ON the switch and BAM....everything works (including my 7950) :clap: Then I tried my own PSU and whoa, the fuse of my room cut off. Then me and my friend opened up my PSU and found out that the liquid which I was talking about, had come from the PSU itself. The PSU had totally burnt out. I have no idea how the liquid from the PSU got splattered all over my mobo and 7950. But anyways, I'm happy that my 7950 is all right. :attn: :bday:

But still now I am TOTALLY CLUELESS as to how the UPS had switched itself ON AUTOMATICALLY and was running on battery :screwy: :confused: :facepalm:

I really don't know and that does sound crazy so take my guess of what happened with a grain of salt. Never heard anything like this before.

pics.

YUP....me too I have never heard of crazy things like this, UPS turning ON Automatically

the liquid is very likely from the PSU's caps that got a little excited and leaked.

Oh so your PSU is NOT under your GPU. Well that makes sense. The PSU leaked on too your other components. Hopefully its still under warranty.

Can I ask even though you have posted it on your signature as coolmaster which are a credible company, where did you buy it and when?

Glad it didn't start a fire. For it to trip the fuse wouldn't it draw a ton of power off the wall? Did the APC malfunction and send more than 600 watts to the PSU? If sometimes the power goes off and back on at ones home I think it might trigger a chain reaction. Idk... Some APC's come with software or are programmed to turn on a rig after a event, etc.

Hello guys, here's the pic of my old PSU, which has burnt inside and here's my PC which I am using using a generic crap PSU which was lying around. Can't use the 7950 since this junk PSU is only 400W and has no 6-pin connectors

Attachments

• psu.jpg
    psu.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 113
  • pc.JPG
    pc.JPG
    851.7 KB · Views: 117
And here's the good news guys...I sent this PSU to Cooler Master and they have sent me a replacement. As for your assumptions, you are right, the liquid is from the capacitors but the funniest point is my PSU is at the bottom, not top...so I don't know how the fluid got splattered on the top. But one thing I did notice that when I came to my room and found that the UPS was running on battery power, a light buzz was also coming out from the PSU.

Still unsure as to how the UPS switched itself ON AUTOMATICALLY on battery power, while the MAINS were OFF !!! :O

Can I ask even though you have posted it on your signature as coolmaster which are a credible company, where did you buy it and when?

Glad it didn't start a fire. For it to trip the fuse wouldn't it draw a ton of power off the wall? Did the APC malfunction and send more than 600 watts to the PSU? If sometimes the power goes off and back on at ones home I think it might trigger a chain reaction. Idk... Some APC's come with software or are programmed to turn on a rig after a event, etc.

I bought the Cooler Master from flipkart.com in September 2013. My UPS is not APC, its Microtek. I think that the UPS malfunctioned and sent more than 600W since its a 800W UPS. As for the power going off and back at home, the MAINS of the UPS were turned OFF. That's why I'm clueless as to how it switched itself ON AUTOMATICALLY!!! NEVER heard of anything like that :shrug:

Man that's crazy. Glad CM is gonna allow RMA. It really does payoff to spend a little extra up front to buy from reputable companies that will honor their warranties.

Back