• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED My RIG is totally destroyed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here's the pic of the ****ty UPS :mad:

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    587 KB · Views: 85
Man that's crazy. Glad CM is gonna allow RMA. It really does payoff to spend a little extra up front to buy from reputable companies that will honor their warranties.
The all stand behind their warranties, and CM isn't exactly a shining example of great PSUs either...

I agree with your CM PSU statement, but after reading some of the posts about the Microtek UPS....man how are they still in business?

but after reading some of the posts about the Microtek UPS....man how are they still in business?

Hey Blaylock, can you send me some links or reviews about that UPS. I'll be going to the Microtek Centre tomorrow. I'm gonna show them the complaints and throw that ****ty UPS on their face. :mad:

Thanks a ton guys....I didn't know that Microtek was such a bad company. So what's a good 1000VA UPS which I should opt for? I think APC makes good UPS. Currently I am using a Frontech 600VA UPS, which I think would be underpowered for my PC. Suggestions are welcome and I am marking this thread as solved. And thanks once again to everyone who have helped me.

STILL trying to figure out how the UPS managed to switch itself ON AUTOMATICALLY :comp:

STILL trying to figure out how the UPS managed to switch itself ON AUTOMATICALLY
Its more likely that you left it on than it doing magical things like turning itself on, no?

Its more likely that you left it on than it doing magical things like turning itself on, no?

Believe me man. I swear that I switched off the UPS first, switched off the MAINS, put the cover on my PC, locked my room and then went to my uncle's house.

Personally I don't see the advantage of having them. I do C.A.D. work and used to push for them all the time. If the room loses power we may loose at most 1 hour per employee, say 20 man hours. But to buy 20 of those we would need to lose power every week just to make up the cost differential. Plus they only last a few years. We did have them at one shop I worked at and when power dropped everybody hit save. Problem with that was we were all working on network drives. The server couldn't handle that much data flow and I thing three people got their jobs saved in time. The other 17 or so had our files corrupted from the incomplete saves.

When you're dealing with files that are in the $10-15,000 range and you corrupt 15-17 files in one day....let's just say everyone was tiptoeing around management for weeks.

We have them at my work because our power is dirty enough that if we don't, we lose power supplies and motherboards regularly to blown caps. I used to replace about 3-4 PSUs a month, now I'm surprised if it is 1-2 a year.

Actually, I do need an UPS since I live in India and power-cuts are very frequent. Also sometimes there are surges and dirty power. Guys, I think I have an explanation of what happened. The Power Switch of my UPS was faulty since it's spring was damaged. So, somehow, due to heat, the spring expanded, causing it be powered on (temps here are around 40C). The AVR malfunctioned and sent more than what the PSU could handle, thus causing the caps to blow. From next time, I'll make sure that the small switch at the back of the PSU is set to OFF position.

Yup. Looks more like the UPS is the culprit just scamming through the complaints.

If you know an electrical engineer, have them disable the boost function of the AVR. It's not useful on a 240V input and a universal range PSU.

Back