• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Whereabouts, HFM, & Not March Madness

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
Hi Guys and Gals!!!

Boy did I just bump about a dozen threads... You're welcome. :D

Once again I have disappeared for a spell... you noticed didn't you? So just a heads up on activity... I was tasked at the beginning of February with teaching a class in C# (cee-sharp) to eight of my coworkers. Quite a wide range of capability levels too... guys with 30+ years of C++ experience, a couple folks who are wet behind the ears with less than 1 year experience in .NET, a seasoned VB.NET developer, as well as a few mainframe developers who have never stepped foot inside Visual Studio. I had two weeks to prepare... and I'm glad I did.

So I stopped what was my daily coding work at work and began working heavy hours putting together this class... I think I stood at the copy machine for over two hours this last Sunday, I am now one with Xerox... not to mention the 700 or so slides I put together over the last two weeks. This entire process was a daunting task for me... I've never done anything like this before.

So it came down to this week... five days of baking noddles (that's brains) and running my students through the gauntlet. Four days down... one to go. All I can say is... my damn feet hurt. :D I went to college so I could work by sitting on my hind end... not standing up all day!!! However, it's been a really good experience... I really re-learned a lot about .NET that I hadn't thought about in a long time, as well as learning a lot about myself and how I can handle and lead a group... and hopefully my students have learned something too. :D

So, unfortunately... my silence isn't due to working my @SS off on HFM. However, the silver lining is that before I began working on this class, I had been working my @SS of on HFM and I've had a 0.4.9 version running for a while. I really wanted to wait and push these enhancements out as 0.5.0, but I think I'm going to more forward with 0.4.9 to get a few fixes out as well as the enhancements I've already finished moving up to 0.5.0. Hopefully you'll see this new version available for download in a few days.

Lastly, time has ticked away... there will unfortunately be No March Madness this year - it's just too late. This is completely due to my lack of time to put it together. ozzlo has been doing a great job with contests since last year's March Madness and I want to thank him for all his efforts to bring great fun and great prizes to the team. :beer: He's handed off the reigns to me again for now... but I think he'll be back with some innovative ideas later this year. Thanks again ozzlo!!! :)

With that said, how does everyone feel about an April Contest? The contests I run will remain simple and be about Folding production, either in points or WUs. Since bigadv WUs take so long and are worth so much... I think a entry per points system would be the best fit for the Folding environment we have today. The only thing I really need from the team is a sponsor or sponsors... I co-sponsored the last March Madness as well as helped sponsor the Winter Blaze, so I need some help from you, my generous teammates, to make this happen... if that's what the team wants to do. It could totally help us get geared up for the CC!!! The contest could flow right over into it. :)

That's all for now... twas a short read twas it not? :D

I fully appreciate everyone's continued support of HFM... look for a new version soon.

Great to see you back harlam, and yeah doesnt matter what age we are you can never stop learning, hope the Teaching course gets through all OK

I'M FREE!!!! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: OH Yeah... lots of that tonight!!! :D

Thanks JS! :) Everything went well... I was so afraid that I didn't have enough material... turns out I had too much. Like I said, first time doing anything like this... so I wasn't sure how quickly we'd move through the material. I think some light bulbs went off today with my students... so that's a good feeling. :)

I get to go back to work on Monday... I'm looking forward to sitting on my hind end again... whew... let's have another :beer: shall we? :D

I'm here for the team! :salute: I'll sponsor the April Contest harlam. Will skittles count? If not, I can probably find a couple shiny items.

Crap dude... sorry about that...

Like you said, since the old Barton won't put up much in terms of PPD, maybe it would be better suited as something listed in the "I need something to finish my rig" thread.

Impressive stuff on the C# stuff! I have been motivated to learn much more programming lately. People have been forcing VB script, java script, and other crap on me, but I still prefer to code in straight C.

Sponsors for these events, donate items for prizes? I am new to the contest thing, but not to the team. I would love some motivation like a contest to kick all this nvidia hardware I have into high gear!

Bartons rock! I still have one cranked at 2.25ghz. Never attempted to fold on it though. I have been hounding up all the socket A and AGP stuff I can get my hands on.

Thanks mx! :)

Send me a PM so I don't forget but I believe I have a couple Socket A cpus sitting around here... just have to dig.

Back