• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Xbox project...sorta ;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I did promise some pics. so here we go :)
This first picture is just of general parts, digicam is kinda crappy so you cant see too much but on the right is the mobo/drive/cd/psu all hooked up getting ready to have XP on it.
xbox1001.jpg

This one is more parts, mainly the case its going in. Now you cant tell from the picks but this case was horribly dirty, surprisingly it was in good shape tho.
xbox1001.jpg

time for windows XP!
xbox1003.jpg

and the cleaning/soaking stage
xbox1004.jpg

Last edited:
Next up was an attempt at showing the controller->USB hack but oh well
xbox1005.jpg

And this is of the test controller. I swear all those mods and crap for consoles have gotten out of hand. This was the cheapest one I could find at a local shop. Cant tell from the pic but the clear area glows green and the little marquee where the xbox logo would be changes colors :rolleyes: Anyways, got it in and running. Not sure if it is just the controller or the way xbox controllers work but the X/Y/A/B buttons are pressure sensitive, which doesnt work too well in old games (and it actually requires you to press rather hard) may take it back for another one later.
xbox1006.jpg

Anyways, got that tested and stuff, currently only one controller until another arrives (shipping error mentioned previously -_- ) And an N64 controller and a jewel, as the case did not have one.

Still thinking about how to actually mount stuff, likely going to epoxy some screws+standoffs into the case to screw the mobo onto. and make a bracket from L-channel for the dvd and HDD. Still not sure about the PSU because I need to make sure that everything is properly grounded.

My other dilema is the I/O I was hoping to keep msot of the chasi intact but I think it may be more trouble than its worth, given my over-all lack of electrical knowledge and absurd cost of needed parts.
Anyways, thats all for the moment :)

Last edited:
just finished a 15 hour day so havent gotten any work done other than Last night. Which I spent finalizing, spiffing up and shielding the controller>USB cable connectors and doing a lot of test fitting. Also modified the HDD mount to use with my case and found a control panel assembly to use.

Even tho no one seems to be reading this... :) I apologize for the lack of updates as I have been buried under a huge client install that has been ^#$&ed up by Qwest and several other things that I havent had time to work on this, I do however plan/hope to get this mod finished this weekend and upload tons of pics and all that. Some updates may happen tommorow but it depends how the day goes (which looks to be another 15 hour one) until then...toodles.

Oh and one thing I did find, this board cant handle n64 emulation, didn't really expect it to so its no biggy, but thats really all the update I have atm. Later.

side note/rant .....I'm really starting to dislike southern Colorado this week -_-

Well its time for an update of what I did yesterday.
Here is a picture of the rounded IDE cable I made and the PSU with its cover off, this will be for the hard drive.
xbox2006.jpg

Here is the modified CD-rom bracket from a normal xbox that I cut the back end off of. This will have a spacer on it then the CD-drive will be screwed down to it.

xbox2005.jpg

And here is the USB->controller wiring that I did on friday
xbox2003.jpg
This take the two ports from Xbox controllers and attaches to the front panel usb connectors on the motherboard using a hacked up back plane piece.

Since the machine wont run an N64 emulator (no shock there) there is really no need for 4 controllers so Im still deciding what is going to go in the other ports or I may just put in jacks and not connect them to anything.

What Im still working on is the back I/O space. Unfortunately when I measured and marked everything off it seemed fine. When I cut on the lines the alignment was off (honestly no idea how it happened ;) ) But what I had wanted to do was make a nice clean, few holes as possible, back plate. Unfortunately I had to route out a larger portion but thankfuly it doesnt look too bad. Once I get the backplate finalized I can screw holes to mount the mobo and PSU and then the CD-rom drive.

As for front buttons. looking at this front connector I cant understand how it works. as it seems the switches only have one connection. The second issue is I have no idea how to attach a button to a slim-line cd drive for eject. So what I think I'll have to do is just stealth the drive (like I was originally) but build the button into the plastic cover Im using.

The last issue is still deciding on cooling. Currently the motherboard overhangs wher the normal fan would go. So I'm having to find place to put 40mm fans to get some airflow into the case, currently only places for 2-3 of these fans which I hope is enough. Should be ok given that these little boards dont produce a lot of heat.

Anyways, I should have a lot more done by the end of todau until then, later :)

PS: I hate my camera, its such a piece of junk -_-

Last edited:
Man I hate to see you lose the front buttons. Could you stick a momentary switch onto the button and glue it on so when the button is pressed it pushes the momentary switch? As for the slimline drive, there might be some extra solder points that you could add a momentary switch to open up the drive. I did that when I stealthed my extra drive. Don't give up!

kayson said:
Man I hate to see you lose the front buttons. Could you stick a momentary switch onto the button and glue it on so when the button is pressed it pushes the momentary switch? As for the slimline drive, there might be some extra solder points that you could add a momentary switch to open up the drive. I did that when I stealthed my extra drive. Don't give up!

I definately wont be losing the front buttons, the problem is the circuitry that makes it glow nice and green. The way its wired is really wierd. Going to try my best to get the LEDs and pwr button to work, its the cd rom thats beyond me.

Have you opened up the cd rom drive? Post a couple of pics and maybe someone will figure out something!

kayson said:
Have you opened up the cd rom drive? Post a couple of pics and maybe someone will figure out something!
no I havent yet. even if I did dont have a camera that could take a pic worth looking at (yet).

Oh and Ive made a ton of progress, just havent updated yet for anyone wondering. Only thing left is mounting the CD drive and wiring it all together :)

*edit* well did a test before adding everything in to test on heat..definately going to be an issue, even though I wont be using it at full-tilt. But it was very unacceptable. Just need to find places to put fans now and finish up the front panel stuff.

Last edited:
only one pic atm.. cant find my cam I think it got buried in components :)

Anyways, I think I solved the heat issue AND WOO! plotted out the front panel so now I can use it all (except CD) even the lights. Anyways, for everyons viewing pleasure I present my (semi-)rough schematic :)
XBOX_FP-s.jpg

*edit* took me longer to futs with the resizing than it did to draw it up lol...need to get a better prog if Im going to do THAT again -_-

Last edited:
Last update before massive pics. All that is left to do is wire up the front panel (everything but the eject switch) make a cover of some sort for the DVD drive and mount said DVD drive, then a little wire management and Im done.

I have a new digicam on the way (finally!) it should be here today and I will use that to take pics so you can actually see what it looks like. So expect pics soon :) I promise!!

heh...I didnt forget about this, just that I moved places right before getting it all put together. Still unpacking and finding crap. Found my cam and my project, what is missing is the front I/O Panel :(

A normal xbox's hardware can do all that you want. All you have to do is do a 5 min exploit and walla. Then you can install X-DSL.....Xbox Damn Small Linux.....Win98......WinXP if you add some more RAM to the xbox....and most easily a alternate xbox dashboard which I cannot name or link to due to legal purposes.

WaTTz said:
a alternate xbox dashboard which I cannot name or link to due to legal purposes.

*cough* Look at *** EDIT *** *cough*

I have a cold...

A ban is a wonderfull cure for a cold !!
Why bother linking to things that can cause the forum problems, making a reference to coughing suggests that you are aware of this !!! - UnseenMenace

Last edited by a moderator:
WaTTz said:
A normal xbox's hardware can do all that you want. All you have to do is do a 5 min exploit and walla. Then you can install X-DSL.....Xbox Damn Small Linux.....Win98......WinXP if you add some more RAM to the xbox....and most easily a alternate xbox dashboard which I cannot name or link to due to legal purposes.

Meh, this was more fun :)

Back