• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NB Thermal Compound Removal Sabertooth 990fx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I swear this craps like bubble gum. What should I use/do to remove it from the chip?

I've been bit bored since I finsihed tuning my build and have been thinking of pulling the sinks on NB and VRM but if that is what is under those I don't think it's worth it :D
I would try to scrape it with expired credit card and wipe it with alcohol and repeat until it's clean.

Heat it up with a hair dryer. It'll soften up and just peel it off from the sink. Use alcohol and qtips to soak it on the chip, then scrape it off with something thin and plastic.

Heat it up with a hair dryer. It'll soften up and just peel it off from the sink. Use alcohol and qtips to soak it on the chip, then scrape it off with something thin and plastic.

I was thinking about using my heat gun. But was worried about making a sticky mess.

Don't hold the heatgun too close for long periods. Just enough to soften it up, but not hot enough to make a watery goo. Better have rags handy just in case, lol.

Geez what are you load temps? Got enough rad?

Temps sit at the limit. I've been planning to add one 240mm rad more but not sure if I manage to fit it in my enthoo primo. There really is no need to temp wise but I am looking for ways to make my system quieter.
My fans are susposed to be quiet andd that severely limits my cooling performance along with the dust filters.
I usually end up running 5GHz speeds only when I see some benefits in games. I drop my speed around 4.6GHz mark if I don't have any demanding games to play just to have my fans run quieter.

Gasoline will get it off in like five seconds. I have cleaned that stuff off of dozens of motherboard chipsets and heatsinks. Obviously you will want to dampen a small spot on a rag or Q-Tip. I have actually gotten lots on the board itself with no ill effects at all. The board will smell so I then wash it in a very small amount of mild detergent, warm water, rinse well and let it dry for a couple days before I reassemble everything.

I use alcohol and a toothbrush. Works great and soft enough you won't knock and of the resistors etc.. loose. Then final clean with a coffee filter. I use this a lot on GFX cards when swapping cooler to block sometimes the TIM gets a bit messy around the chip.

I use alcohol and a toothbrush. Works great and soft enough you won't knock and of the resistors etc.. loose. Then final clean with a coffee filter. I use this a lot on GFX cards when swapping cooler to block sometimes the TIM gets a bit messy around the chip.

I have tried 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, 100% Methylene chloride and that pink stuff stays hard as a rock unless I used gasoline.

I have tried 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, 100% Methylene chloride and that pink stuff stays hard as a rock unless I used gasoline.
Now the look my wife would give me, seeing me cleaning my motherboard with gas would be classic!!!! :D

Well it came off the chip easily enough using a heatgun and some isopropyl, but now that I'm considering replacing the aftermarket sinks with the stock ones I guess gasoline could be fun.....

Well it came off the chip easily enough using a heatgun and some isopropyl, but now that I'm considering replacing the aftermarket sinks with the stock ones I guess gasoline could be fun.....

I never applied heat. That must be the ticket.

- - - Updated - - -

Now the look my wife would give me, seeing me cleaning my motherboard with gas would be classic!!!! :D

I get those looks all the time anyway! Actually I do it in the garage.

How long have you had your board DNRDustin?
Curious as to how long this termal paste stuff lasts in a mobo...

How long have you had your board DNRDustin?
Curious as to how long this termal paste stuff lasts in a mobo...

The stuff that seems to be used on the chipsets isn't a paste. It is more like a solid material that probably is an epoxy that they apply and it cures. I think it is meant to last and that it is why it isn't a paste per se. Most people will never remove these heatsinks. I also don't think it could possibly be as effective as a paste.

Back