• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a new TV for the family

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GBH

Family's TV is down for the count and my dad is looking for a new TV. We dont know whether to go plasma or LCD.

I know we want to get 1080p but other than that not sure what else to look for or what is a good deal. So I guess biggest and best TV for $800 to $1200

Suggestions? =D

We are also shopping. From what I have learned so far, plasma is the only way to go. They got a bad name because of the initial problems they had, but they got over that, and now are a great buy. It would take a $1800-2000 LCD to compete with a $1200 Plasma.
Look into the Panasonic plasmas. Panasonic invested lots of money into R&D for plasma technology and is currently the class leader.

If you want the biggest HDTV for your buck plasma or DLP is the way to go.

Plasmas have the best black levels (which translates into better colors), LCDs are getting very close now. The bad thing about plasmas is that they use a lot of power and images can get "burned" into the picture. Burn-in will only happen if you have the TV on a channel or game with static images for an extremely long period of time. You just want the pixels to change colors regularly to prevent this.

DLP is a projection type TV which is thicker than plasmas/LCD because they use a bulb. You can usually get very big DLP TVs for much less than comparable plasma/LCD TVs. A couple bad things about the DLPs is that the bulbs are expensive and if/when they burn out you'll have to fork out some dough, and the other is it can be wall mounted b/c of its size.

I bought an LG 47LH90 at BestBuy last week, priced matched to Sears for $1299. The same TV at Amazon is $1699.

It's 47", TRUE LED, and gets great reviews on line.

If you can find the same deal I did it's a steal.

I've seen and used many an HDTV both in my house and in others.
I'm also quite anal retentive.

Basically here's what you need to know:

Color depth, contrast ratio, resolution, refresh rate are extremely important to how your eye sees a picture and differ MASSIVELY from TV to TV. Just because a TV is high resolution by being 1080P doesn't make it high definition in terms of it's handling of color and texture- only in it's handling of resolution.

There are about 7 kinds of TV available.

LED backlit LCD(side/edge lit or full array lit without local dimming)

An LCD panel back lit by an array of LED's rather than fluorescent bulbs. Increases potential contrast and brightness, reduces power use. Longer lifespan lighting than fluorescent.

LED backlit LCD (full array with local dimming)

As above but specific portions of the backlight can turn on and off, making for extremely bright and extremely dark areas on the screen simultaneously. This provides the best contrast ratio (better than plasma) in a large screen.

OLED

Best overall picture- but only currently available in tiny sizes. OLED uses organic TINY light emitting diodes making for true pixel on/off capability. This makes for a display which looks similar in terms of contrast to the full array local dimming LCD/LED but is even more accurate in it's contrast application due to the on/off pixels being much smaller than conventional LED backlights. Hope that makes sense.

LCD

An LCD screen (either TN/PVA/IPS etc-- it's wise to research these if you plan to go LCD/LED) with a conventional fluorescent bulb as backlight. LCD has a higher brightness (Candellas per meter square) than plasma, and is also a bit sharper. However, it has considerably inferior color gamut (the range of colors it can display) and native contrast compared to plasma.

PLASMA

Not as sharp as LCD, however, handles color much more accurately and effortlessly. Also current plasmas have the highest refresh rate (600Hz vs 480/240/120 for LCD).

The caveats of plasma are as follows:

Screen has a glass cover over it. Reflections can occur. However, if this TV is used in a dim room without windows shining off it, you're fine.

Not as razor sharp picture as LCD. Not as bright.

Advantages:

Way way way better native contrast ratio. Much more accurate and much wider color gamut. Much more natural looking picture. Not tiring on the eyes.

DLP

A texas instruments technology that reflects images off of a mirror. Bleh. I don't like the picture on them at all. Don't even bother.

Personally I recommend as follows:

Movies, high definition TV watching, light gaming:
P L A S M A.

heavy duty gaming as the primary use, then movies and TV
LED backlit LCD with local dimming

If you go PLASMA, make sure you get one with 1080 lines MOVING resolution. Many 1080P plasmas in the low end only have 900 lines moving resolution. This results in a slightly less sharp moving picture.

The Panasonic TCP42G10 is freaking rediculous good. Rediculous. It's wrong.
It has THX certified color

One step down,

Panasonic TCP42S1 does NOT have THX certification and looks less punchy and bright, however, still full time 1080 lines and excellent picture.

One more step down

TCP42U1 is still a very very very good screen with an excellent picture- but it only has 900 lines moving- however you can get it very cheap for your price range and still have a picture superior to a $2000+ LED TV in all measures except brightness and sharpness.

That sharpness is important. I would aim for the G1 if you want a nirvana-like viewing experience.

Current generation plasmas are EXCELLENT. Panasonic's plasmas are untouchable in your price range.

PS and PPS- when you transport your HDTV, make sure you do so in an upright position- especially PLASMA. All mfg's recommend upright transportation. Never lay the TV down to transport it.

Plasmas look like trash at the store. The store has about 400 bright as heck fluorescent bulbs. The room in your house where you will put it likely has what, 1? 2 conventional lightbulbs? Heavy curtains? The screen will look much better in your house. It's always smart to go into the 'home theater' room at the store if they have one and compare there.

Honestly if you're buying this TV for general family use- I sugest the Viera G1xx or the S1 in the 42" size. Exceptional bang for buck.
If you want to save some cash get the U1 and a high end Blu-Ray player but remember- the brightness is slightly lower as is the moving resolution..

There are alot of 50in 1080p tvs on sale tomorrow for around the $1000 mark. I think Best Buy has a couple of great deals.

I have a Samsung LN52B750 LCD TV, amazing tv is all I can say... $1850 @ bb atm but got it about a year ago :)

Id say, Plasma is best. Then LED, then LCD.

Plasma also has the fastest refresh rate I believe.

Of course in 2010 AMOLED's will be comming out which will blow away everything but dont even worry about that since they are not gonna be reasonably priced for a long time.

So imo, a good Plasma is what you should get, and dont get the cheapest brand you can find. Examine the thing, because the quality does vary.

But it's not true 600Hz tho is it? It's still 60Hz but they repeat the same frame ten times... giving 600Hz... not 600 individual frames... im sure i read something like that somewhere... nd4sp has a better grasp on these things...

I sure wouldn't buy DLP as they look like crap if you sit off-angle from it.

LCDs are excellent for the money. Over the last 5 years, Samsung and Sony have really improved the overall picture quality. I have a Samsung LCD and once I calibrated the set, it looked fantastic.

For LCDs, Samsung would be my first choice. I would ONLY buy a Panasonic plasma. Pioneer would have been on that list too, but they are now using Panasonic panels, not their own.

But it's not true 600Hz tho is it? It's still 60Hz but they repeat the same frame ten times... giving 600Hz... not 600 individual frames... im sure i read something like that somewhere... nd4sp has a better grasp on these things...

Nothing really outputs over 60Hz in any kind of conceivably useful way in terms of home theater stuff- and plasmas don't like being hooked up to PC's.

So yes, it interpolates 'ghost frames' between genuine frames off a 60Hz input. The result is impressive. Laser beams in starwars track fluidly across the screen. you don't see it 'left right middle' like on a normal TV- it actually travels smoothly across the screen.

For TV/Movies a $1000 plasma equals a $3000 LED/LCD in all but sharpness and brightness as mentioned.

"120Hz" monitors output 60Hz from two independant display engines. 120Hz TV's interpolate extra frames and have a native input of 60Hz

Back