• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED NEED ADVICE ASAP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I've used DriverGenius for those dumb drivers I can't find :p

Anyway, 5th time's a charm (5th time trying to post this)

Ouch, sorry to hear your PC died.

Both are good companies to be honest, as far as quality of products.

I've owned four (I think) motherboards from Gigabyte, and three or four video cards. Only ever had one board die, and that was after it had a long service life. Never had to deal with their RMA dept. or customer service yet.

I've had ~8 motherboards from Asus, plus three video cards. Only ever had two boards die, but the deaths were due to physical damage done to them by previous owners, or possibly done by a retailer. Their customer service isn't very good though from my experience, and RMA's tend to take a long time with them.

Given the boards available, I would recommend the following:
1. ASRock Z77 Extreme3(much better power section (8+3) than other available options in this price range, with the sale price and rebate)
2. Gigabyte GA-Z77-HD4 (power section is 6+2+1)
3. Asus P8Z77-V LK (LK version has more/better options then LX version) (more USB ports, better bandwidth in second PCI Express X16 slot (x8 vs. x4), better audio controller, supports Crossfire and SLI, power section has built-in heatsink) (power section is 4+1+1)

If motherboard is a must and you cannot repair your board like mentioned in the other thread, you should look at the msi refurb at 3btech, then pick up a better boot drive in the classes.

Edit: nvm I missed a page or two of replies...
:)
Fix that old board like many suggested and have a spare board for mining etc.
:bang head
Sorry guys. Mobo has been bought. I needed one today, so I grabbed the Gigabyte Z77-HD4.

Didn't see that Asrock Z77 mobo when I was looking online. Probably should have grabbed it since this mobo cost me $138 ($11 1yr replacement, bring it in, walk out with new one :) ) after the government ra**d me blind with taxes. :mad:
Also, my old mobo is toast. No dice in soldering it, turns on for 2 seconds then powers off. :(
Good to hear you're up and running again. I think you'll like that Gigabyte board. :thup:

The SMBus driver is probably in your board's chipset driver (most boards are that way). It could be something else though. Might have to check manufacturer website to find it, or might be able to find it by having Windows look for the driver online.

Seems I took too long to respond. Started typing a reply earlier today, but was interrupted by a phone call while I was looking up the specs on each to compare them.

You using the old Gateway case, or in something else?

lol, no worries TechTweaker. Gateway case? *yuck* nope, my custom case Which has to be modded again to accept the new mobo.

:bang head
Plz tell me you guys can see this post. This is the 4th time trying to post it.

And here we go:

So Now that my presentation is done (enough anyway :p )
I have modded my case to accept the new mobo.
Both GPU's are in, and I threw in my old PSU.

Currently running Prime95 Small FFT to see how it fares. Furmark (Maybe 3DMark instead?) is up next for gpu testing.

Gonna head over to the PSU sticky and read up how to test the PSU, though I will not lie. I'd rather not test it becasue: I hate being electrocuted, (don't want that again) and it's running fine, but if I probe the wrong plug I'm screwed.

Unless I can test from molex, that seems safer...

Still no luck with this "limited overclocking" thing, I'm still running at 28x multiplier :(

Suggestions welcomed as to what to do next.

Ya after up and running and all is OK Take a Break from Minning a Little that would Help :clap:

Hehe.. I plan to until I know my PSU is till solid :)

@ Wingman99

No I haven't. I didn't think that would work since it's non K?? :shrug:

EDIT2:Almost 1 hour in to Prime95, here are the new temps now that I put AS5 on the cpu ^_^

temps.PNG

That leave a fir bit of room to OC right?

EDIT3: Ah Ha! wingman99 you were right! I set the main multiplier to 33x and looky here:

3.3.PNG

Last edited:
No offense, but I'm waiting for the next iteration of this thread from using a PSU that burned part of the 24-pin.

Same comment as above. I see zero use for this.

Edit: Unless you're working with legacy hardware you can always find the most up to date drivers from the manufacturer's website.
No reason to load down your computer with extra crap and make it run slower.
agreed...

No offense, but I'm waiting for the next iteration of this thread from using a PSU that burned part of the 24-pin.

And then you can say I told you so. :p

Actually, I forgot to test this PSU :bang head
I'll do that now.

Okay, so under full load Prime95 Large FFT and mining full tilt:

12 volt rail: 12.23 Volts
5 volt rail: 5.12 volts
3.3 volt rail: 3.34 volts

Looks okay right?

EDIT: BTW, system is running with BCLK of 102 :D
No issues yet.

My biggest concern would be burned or discolored pins in the plugs for the mobo. Especially the ones that were burned on the motherboard. The burning and charring comes from a bad connection that has resistance. Burning, melting and charring will only make the connection worse.
If it were me, I would replace the pins that were burned, no matter what they look like.

My biggest concern would be burned or discolored pins in the plugs for the mobo. Especially the ones that were burned on the motherboard. The burning and charring comes from a bad connection that has resistance. Burning, melting and charring will only make the connection worse.
If it were me, I would replace the pins that were burned, no matter what they look like.

Good point.

I checked out the PSU side of the ATX connector, only the side is slightly melted. Pin is still shiny inside.

As soon as the mobo called it quits, the fans went dead on it. Only the HDD's were spinning still and the PSU fan was still going fine.

Oddly enough I still had video output from my 270x after the mobo died. :shrug:

Not sure if that's useful info for you guys.

My worry is that OCP should have kicked in but it didn't.

OCP would have kill power to the mobo right?

But I wonder if it didn't go becasue the 6850 was drawing it through the Pcie 1x slot?

Perhaps it actually was within standard limits?

I see the mobo failing becasue it tried to give 55 watts (the Pci 6 pin gives 75 watts right? so 130 watts - 75 = 55 watts through 1x slot) of power through a 1x slot. IIRC they are supposed to give 25 watts, but if needed they can give as much as they want. but in this case, it was too much for the mobo so it got killed.

OCP is over current protection. You PSU "has" OCP.
If it worked though it would have seen the short and shut off the whole PSU.

Back