• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED NEED ADVICE ASAP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Definitely plug them both in. It is apparent that you need as much current as possible.
What are we talking about? For CPU power, only one is needed unless you are going extreme cooling. If we are talking supplemental power to the PCIe slots, and you are mining or running multiple GPUs, then yes, plug it in.

Since no one else mentioned it, I would shy away from going crazy upping the BCLK. Upping the BCLK overclockers everything including PCI-E busses for your video card and SATA ports for your hard drives. Going higher than stock increases the risk of frying your video card, losing a hard drive, or corrupting your RAID controller. Keep the BCLK at stock (or no higher than 103) and go with your multiplier or RAM timings for overclock.

What are we talking about? For CPU power, only one is needed unless you are going extreme cooling. If we are talking supplemental power to the PCIe slots, and you are mining or running multiple GPUs, then yes, plug it in.
Yes we are. So I only need the 1 Power pin for CPU?
Since no one else mentioned it, I would shy away from going crazy upping the BCLK. Upping the BCLK overclockers everything including PCI-E busses for your video card and SATA ports for your hard drives. Going higher than stock increases the risk of frying your video card, losing a hard drive, or corrupting your RAID controller. Keep the BCLK at stock (or no higher than 103) and go with your multiplier or RAM timings for overclock.

Okay thanks. What about 103 BCLK? If I go 103.5 I can get 3.4 Ghz :D
It's still alive and stable at 102 BLCK (it running that now)

EDIT: Yes RAM timings are going to be tightened tonight. I'll defs need advice/help on that.
Any tips/stickyes for me??

For the CPU (8 pin around socket area), just one. With un powered risers, if the board has supplemental power lead for multi gpu setup (sometimes sata/pcie/or even molex), use it. With powered risers, you would not need to.

EDIT: That said, your HD4 has NONE of those options even available.....Im confused...

For the CPU (8 pin around socket area), just one. With un powered risers, if the board has supplemental power lead for multi gpu setup (sometimes sata/pcie/or even molex), use it. With powered risers, you would not need to.

EDIT: That said, your HD4 has NONE of those options even available.....Im confused...
ED, he's wondering if he needs just four pins or all eight.

For tweaking, sure why not, but do not expect performance gains with it (so, for me, I don't waste my time) for how you are using it. It can only lead to instability honestly. Id leave it at stock, especially if this is your miner...

For tweaking, sure why not, but do not expect performance gains with it (so, for me, I don't waste my time) for how you are using it. It can only lead to instability honestly. Id leave it at stock, especially if this is your miner...

Really? I thought the timings really affected performance? :shrug:

Really? I thought the timings really affected performance? :shrug:

It's pretty minimal to be honest.

I can change my CL7 DDR3-1600 from the stock 7-8-7-24 at 1600MHz to 6-8-6-24 at 1600MHz.

But, I really didn't notice any performance difference as far as being able to "feel" a difference in normal daily tasks. I only saw some minimal differences in benchmarks.

Changing the Command Rate from 2T to 1T can potentially improve performance (primarily in benchmarks), but not by much for average daily usage.

Oh.

What if I run them at 1666 Mhz? (If it can anyway)
Or same thing, no real gains?

That link should have that information in it... (the biggest difference in memory speeds is from 1333 to 1600). Even then, it isn't huge UNLESS you are using the iGPU (which uses system ram as GPU ram... ;)).

Interesting read.

I glanced over it rather quick, but I was very surprised to see DDR-2000 9-9-9 lose to a DDR-1666 7-7-7 in random read. :shrug:

I'll continue to read up in that article.

But a status report: Memtest passed at 8-9-8-24, so I'm running Memtest with 8-8-8-24 right now.

I'm aiming for 7-7-7 or something, but I'll play with it all night. Gonna try higher speeds too.

(Hehehe! I love having the freedom of a Z77 chipset :D )

That's because random relies on seek time more than throughput.
Seek time is determined more by timings.

That's because random relies on seek time more than throughput.
Seek time is determined more by timings.

Hmmm! Okay I have more reading to do it seems! :D

Noticed your sig memory, looks like stock timings to me.
Did you ever tighten them to see if there is a real difference?

Hmmm! Okay I have more reading to do it seems! :D

Noticed your sig memory, looks like stock timings to me.
Did you ever tighten them to see if there is a real difference?

No need to, gains from 1600 CL9 9-9-24 2T are negligible. Especially considering the time spent and stability that could be lost.

No need to, gains from 1600 CL9 9-9-24 2T are negligible. Especially considering the time spent and stability that could be lost.

Okay so it seems OCing the memory is kind of a waste of time then for the average joe.

Well why do they make DDR3 2300 RAM and such? Just for the benchers?
Or some marketing gimmick? :shrug:

Back