• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice in mobo selection..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twtnopjkarna

Registered
I am settling on a 790x for my new build and am having trouble deciding which brand to choose. I've narrowed it down to either an MSI 790x (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130249) in a combo deal with a diagnostics program for 99.99$ vs an ASUS 790x (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402) in a combo deal with my Hyper 212+ cpu cooler for 125.99$. Now either way were looking at about 126-127$ for either. If I go with MSI I still have my Hyper 212+ (26.99) in my shopping cart. If I lose the diag software and go with the ASUS + Hyper 212+ it's 125.99.. So either way it's not about the money but rather the customer support, track record, reliablity etc of the two companies and the models that I am left with. What are your guys personal prefrences over these two? In my last 2 builds I have used ASUS without any trouble but have had a couple MSI cards without trouble either... It's up in the air and I need some direction! :D Thanks guys!

I'm an ASUS kinda' guy so given that choice that's what I'd take. Add a good Gigabyte to that list and it would be a harder choice ... ;)

I agree with this post. ASUS and Gig are my two favs. MSI isn't on the list because I've had bad previous experiences.

Thanks for the replies guys... One more quick question: With the ASUS Board, can I save myself roughly 20$ and port over my IDE DVD Burner instead of buying a SATA optical drive? The ASUS board will support IDE optical drive and a SATA HDD at the same time right?

Alright guys, I went ahead and deleted the MSI board from my cart and added the hyper 212+/ASUS combo to it and man... I am really nervous about this. I have only used ASUS boards in my career and my last few systems have been intel all the way, the mobos have been incredibly stable, even my old 3.4HT p4/x800PRO still runs like a CHAMP with its ASUS board but have if you guys have a couple minutes... LOOK at those reviews on the ASUS board.. im appalled tbh, it seems like such a hit or miss with that 790x EVO ASUS board. And while never having used MSI in my life, I almost want to chance it. GEEZ. someone check out those newegg reviews and give me some direction here, im frozen in my decision making ability here LOL.

Thanks again guys, you have been nothing but awesome through all my retarded concerns and questions! +1 for overclockers.com >:D

The EVO had some real problems when they first came out but I've seen odd problems with MSI as well and, considering the threads I've seen here, the Gigabyte 790X is a great board but has bad reviews, too. It's a personal preference that no one can make for you ... ;)

I hear that QI.. the GB is well out of my price range at +50$ over the MSI board and roughly + 35$ over the ASUS. If it were you in my situation... MSI or ASUS?! I feel like i have a 50% chance of getting a great ASUS board here.. not something ive come to expect with my current ASUS track record...

Also, just some clarification needed here. My current optical drive is IDE or PATA or whatever you want to call it.. It's rather old 04ish~ Device Description: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104 Interface: ATAPI..
Mobo say it will support the following:
Storage Devices
PATA
1 x ATA133 2 Dev. Max

Am I all set to save 25$ and port this old drive over with those specs? All is compatible or am I missing something?!

Back