• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need DVD to digital program (free)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trekky

hey guys im looknig for a Free program that takes my movies on a dvd and puts them on my hard drive

thx

MakeMKV will rip it from the disk and there is no cost for ripping DVDs. You could then use Handbrake to encode/compress it. If you are doing DVDs, use a quality of 20. If you are doing Blurays, use a quality of 22.

sorry to jump onto your post, but does this program make them into playable files on your hard drive? or do you have to convert the file afterwards?

sorry to jump onto your post, but does this program make them into playable files on your hard drive? or do you have to convert the file afterwards?
MakeMKV will rip the disks into an uncompressed MKV file. You could play this directly, but it would be much better to run it through Handbrake to save space.

It has more features, but yes, it can compress. The numbers I suggested above will have no visible loss in quality, but will save you a ton of space.

Back