• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEED HELP CHOOSING A CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J0ker

Registered
What CPU will go great what that setup? Will OC, and will be used mostly for gaming

Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
H110i GT Cooler
16gb TridentX DDR3 1866
Saphire r9 390x

Thanks in advance!

FX 8350/8370.. possibly 9370/9590 but dont expect major clocks on the later 2.
possibly even the e series... 8370e.. might clock decent.

Which one will give me the best performance? I'm going to assume the 9590. Just wondering if the CPU cooling I have is enough for it

9590 is AMDs fastest.. hottest.. BUT it is a cherry picked CPU and has come down in price a LOT.
i would say that youd be able to keep it maintained at stock. as in stock i mean locked at 4.7GHz.. you have the right mobo and it loves fast RAM. Dont expect to just pop it in and start playing games...
its almost guaranteed to be unstable at first.
When i first had my 9590 i kept it at stock 4.7 @ 1.406v with a custom 120mmx60mm while i was waiting for my 360mm i just didnt bench it and it never got to hot.
They are extremely fun though! i had a lot more fun with the 9590 than my 2 previous builds 4770k/4790k.
Realistically your processor will never be at full load so your benchs/stress tests are hotter than gaming...
i say go for it! just know that you WILL be in your BIOS for a day(s)
if you're wanting a plug and play get a 8370.
i also have a thread on my 9590 build...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/767181-How-i-made-my-FX-9590-STABLE-)

cheers

Stick with an 8XXX series chip. There is not gain to be had by going to a 9XXX chip, they are just a higher binned chip and even at stock demand 1.525v VCore which will over power your AIO cooler. Anything short of a custom loop with either of the 9XXX chips will lead you to nothing but frustration and the need for a custom water loop to run properly.

Pick up one of the 8XXX chip, my choice would be the FX8370 and overclock it as far as your cooling will allow you to do. From there if you want more later you can get into a custom loop and clock it up to what either of the 9XX chips can do.

^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

we see to many issues with running the 9xxx cpus without big water cooling.

Stick with an 8XXX series chip. There is not gain to be had by going to a 9XXX chip, they are just a higher binned chip and even at stock demand 1.525v VCore which will over power your AIO cooler. Anything short of a custom loop with either of the 9XXX chips will lead you to nothing but frustration and the need for a custom water loop to run properly.

Pick up one of the 8XXX chip, my choice would be the FX8370 and overclock it as far as your cooling will allow you to do. From there if you want more later you can get into a custom loop and clock it up to what either of the 9XX chips can do.

spot on..
what i was referring to...
if you want plug and play 8370
if you want to spend days in the bios and have a small space heater 9590..

Thanks for the replies everyone! I went with the 8370. Now this is my first build in like 5 years so I've been out of the loop with computers for a while. I was doing some reading and a lot of people bash this cpu saying even when over clocked it'll bottleneck the 390x like crazy and others say it won't. Can someone shed some light on this for me? It will be run on Windows 10 and I have a 1080p monitor.

Last edited:
It won't bottleneck a 390x. If you added a second 390x then you may run into some issues as SLI/Xfire doesn't perform as well on AMD as it does on Intel, but that shouldn't be a major difference maker with a single GPU.

It won't bottleneck a 390x. If you added a second 390x then you may run into some issues as SLI/Xfire doesn't perform as well on AMD as it does on Intel, but that shouldn't be a major difference maker with a single GPU.
Agreed!

I will also add, the majority of 8370's I've seen come through the forum will OC to 4.7+ on a lot less voltage then the earlier Fx 8xxx chips. For example the Fx 8350 I have, was purchased the week they were released to the public. It needs a lot more volts for 4.7 Ghz then the 8370's I've seen.

I have a supernova g2 1300 coming in :))) might not be enough though... *sarcasm* Can you guys link me to some good overclocking guides, I ran into a bunch but I honestly have no idea which are reliable

Thanks for the replies everyone! I went with the 8370. Now this is my first build in like 5 years so I've been out of the loop with computers for a while. I was doing some reading and a lot of people bash this cpu saying even when over clocked it'll bottleneck the 390x like crazy and others say it won't. Can someone shed some light on this for me? It will be run on Windows 10 and I have a 1080p monitor.

Smart choice on the cpu. You really need a big custom loop to keep a 9590 happy.

Back