• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help choosing a mobo & 1 other question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

I just bought an X4 955. I remember that there used to be a website where you could enter the digits from the top of the processor to find out how good of an overclocker that particular CPU was. Does this site still exist?

The other thing is, which is a good mobo for overclcocking this processor? I'm looking to spend $100-150, but closer to the $100 range if possible. I only need 1 PCI-E slot, but at least 2 PCI slots. I also just bought a 470 gtx video card, so I dont need onboard sound. I also have an Audigy 2, so I dont need onboard sound either. I simply want a board that make overclocking easy and can push my CPU as far as it can go. I also just bought G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800).

Could you link some suggestions?

Thanks and happy holidays!

Thanks CgS Drone!

Do you know of the site that I was talking about where you can enter the digits on top of your CPU to see how well that line is known to OC?

Mine are:
CACDC AC 1045DPM

Thanks CgS Drone!

Do you know of the site that I was talking about where you can enter the digits on top of your CPU to see how well that line is known to OC?

Mine are:
CACDC AC 1045DPM
I never heard of a site like that even for the old K8's. I did browse a lot of OC databases in years gone by, though! :)

Honestly, the processors today overclock in a much tighter cluster than they used to. There are a few duds here & there and an occasional Golden Chip but, overall, they're pretty consistent ...

Dad got me a ta890Gxe on accient, planning return it for the Fxe though, nothing but good reviews from this forum...

Once you get the board in check the bios version. I did all of my OC'ing with the older bios version and it did excellent, but they released the bios version 89FADA11.BST for improved OC'ing. I don't really see how they could improve on it but I have already updated my bios.

I know with the older bios I could get 4.1 stable but it was pushing my temps up to where I needed to run better cooling in order to go further. I know I still had room to add voltage to push even higher if I wanted to and this was only using the multiplier to get to that point. I hadn't adjusted the FSB yet.

Once you get the board in check the bios version. I did all of my OC'ing with the older bios version and it did excellent, but they released the bios version 89FADA11.BST for improved OC'ing. I don't really see how they could improve on it but I have already updated my bios.

I know with the older bios I could get 4.1 stable but it was pushing my temps up to where I needed to run better cooling in order to go further. I know I still had room to add voltage to push even higher if I wanted to and this was only using the multiplier to get to that point. I hadn't adjusted the FSB yet.

Ok, I'll make sure to update the BIOS ASAP

One last question...
I just received the mobo, and noticed it says that its Crossfire ready. Will this be compatible with me 470gtx? The 470GTX is defective and being returned to Neweggg, so I can always buy an aTi card if needed instead of getting a replacement for the 470GTX.

Any AMD board, regardless of chipset, can run a single nVidia or ATi video card. There is no performance drop or gain from matching the chipset to the card as long as it's a single card. PCIe is PCIe.

SLI and Crossfire are chipset specific and rely on other drivers on top of the video card driver.
When running SLI you have to use an nVidia chipset or an AMD Fusion board.
When running Crossfire you have to use an AMD chipset.

Last edited:
Back