• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help over clocking E5-1603 0 @ 2.8 GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MyMilkshakes

hey guys, i ran into a pickle with my Thinkstation S30 rig when i found out i couldn't SLI my GTX 680's... so i sold one and now i'm trying to overclock my CPU and GPU to make up for the difference.

any advice on what settings i should be running or what clock i should be aiming for? (this would be my first time overclocking anything)

here's my specs:
1000w power supply
Intel Xeon E5-1603 @ 2.8 GHz
C600/X79 mobo
8 gb of ram, am looking into getting more, probably another 8...
1 gtx 680. standard edition.

this is mainly a gaming rig, running surround gaming on 3 Samsung SA450's.
my rig can handle alot but getting 20 fps on far cry at 5760x1200 with tearing sucks. :cry:

any advice is much appreciated

You should be able to SLI, Intel paid for X79 licenses for all motherboards... Not sure if your board is a C6xx though.

You can't really overclock a Xeon. FSB overclocking on SNBs is a pretty bad idea. Why did you buy a workstation for gaming?

after talking with a tech at Intel i found out that i can only SLI quadro cards on my mobo, which doesn't make sense to me personally considering i have two PCI 3.0 x16 lanes...... and from what i heard quadro's aren't X16.

The reason i got convinced to go with the workstation is due to my parents helping me build my rig, they own a comp company that is a major retailer for Intel, long story short he was under the impression the mobo would SLI any cards... i ended up spending about 3.6K on a 5.5K computer....

if overclocking the Xeon proc isnt the way to go, is it worth switching cards to a GTX 690? any thoughts?

my comp runs like a champ when I'm only using one screen but surround gaming is amazing and i don't want to let that go, and switching mobos is basically like starting from scratch :(

Back