• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help (overclock fail)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ParaThermalZ

Tried to overclock my fx 6300 to 4.7ghz. When i turned it back on no monitor connection, no beep. All fans are on the processor even gets hot. Did i kill it?

ParaThermalZ welcome to the forum.
Doubt you killed it, unless you overvolted it. These processors are pretty tough chances are you just tried to push it too far too fast. Overclocking is a process and to do it correctly you need to take your time and have patience. You probably need to clear the cmos to get it to start back up. Once it's back up, post what the components in the Pc are ie. motherboard, ram speed and gb, what heatsink you're using, case, powersupply etc. Then read this guide.

ParaThermalZ welcome to the forum.
Doubt you killed it, unless you overvolted it. These processors are pretty tough chances are you just tried to push it too far too fast. Overclocking is a process and to do it correctly you need to take your time and have patience. You probably need to clear the cmos to get it to start back up. Once it's back up, post what the components in the Pc are ie. motherboard, ram speed and gb, what heatsink you're using, case, powersupply etc. Then read this guide.

CPU: AMD FX 6300
GPU: EVGA gtx 950 ftw
MOBO: msi 760GM-P34 (FX)
RAM: Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
COOLING: Cooler Master T2

How would i reset my CMOS?

And thank you for the guide, i really appreciate it.

Last edited:
4.7 is a lofty goal for the average 6300. 4.5 with good cooling is more the norm.

EDIT- and after I saw the motherboard you have, you'll be lucky to get that.

Also... $65 board. 4 Phase, no heatsinks, and a FX Hex being pushed...

How would i reset my CMOS?
Likely a jumper on your board. Check in your manual for where it is located on the board and how to do it.

Sorry, your edit wasn't posted when mine landed. Nice try though! Good edit after my post! :) :p

Actually that board is a 3+1 Vrm. I can't believe they even list the Fx 6300, 8320e and 8370e as compatible, ridiculous!

ParaThermalZ Do not try and Oc on that motherboard!!!!!!!! You'll be lucky if the board is the only thing that fails, if it does it could kill the Cpu as well. If you really want to overclock, you're going to need a better motherboard and higher end heatsink. If this is the path you want to choose, please ask us for help picking out components.

Actually that board is a 3+1 Vrm. I can't believe they even list the Fx 6300, 8320e and 8370e as compatible, ridiculous!

ParaThermalZ Do not try and Oc on that motherboard!!!!!!!! You'll be lucky if the board is the only thing that fails, if it does it could kill the Cpu as well. If you really want to overclock, you're going to need a better motherboard and higher end heatsink. If this is the path you want to choose, please ask us for help picking out components.

I plan on switching to intel in a weeks, i have a pentoum g3258 i just need to get a motherboard, i plan on upgrading to an i5 in about 6 months

I plan on switching to intel in a weeks, i have a pentoum g3258 i just need to get a motherboard, i plan on upgrading to an i5 in about 6 months
Ok but just so you know the 1150 socket is EOL so the longer you wait the harder it may be to find a 1150 socket motherboard.

Why not hang on to what you have until you get the i5? Some games (like 3/4) wont work with a dual core CPU...

I don't see any reason to move to a Pentium from the 6300 until you have the i5

Why not hang on to what you have until you get the i5? Some games (like 3/4) wont work with a dual core CPU...

I plan on strictly playing arma 2 and 3, do you guys know which i5 i should upgrade to? I know nothing about them.

I would say that would depend on what you already have/budget. I would personally go with an i5 6600k with the Z170 chipset, but it will require you to buy some DDR4 memory (most of the time we recommend around DDR4-2800 or DDR4-3000 speeds for bang/buck.

Since you don't already have much invested on the side of the old system/standard (with the Pentium that you already have for some reason?) that would go with a Z87/Z97 motherboard, I would get out of the old chipset and move towards a new one. If that is out of the question then an i5 4690k with an ASRock Extreme4 would likely be just fine for you if you planned to carry over the RAM from your current AMD system.

Back