• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking Amd atlhon ii x4 640

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CPU/NB means the North Bridige of the CPU. There is also a NB chip on the motherboard that controls the PCI/PCI-e function.

The CPU/NB is a component of the Integrated Memory Controller and is on the processor die. My understanding is that it is the controlling link between the CPU cores and the processor's cache memory. Overclocking the CPU/NB significantly improves memory performance.

Now, you need to start overclocking the CPU again. But this time leave the FSB alone and just start increasing the multiplier in .5x increments. Now it is set to 13x. Because you are not overclocking with the FSB anymore, the ram frequency, HT Link frequency and the CPUNB will not change. This will be more simple.

alright so 250x13.5 passed easy with good temp, x14 failed. Im starting to increase the voltage by .005 increment ( curently at +.037 in bios ) Cpu-z show 1.464.

Update: Still crashing at 1.500v @ 14x250 ( 3511 MHz )

Last edited:
Try lowering your CPUNB to what was the one before 2500? 2250? Alternatively, bump your CPUNB voltage up to 1.25. And bump the ram voltage up to 1.525 or if you don't have that increment, try 1.55.

should I stay a cpu vcore 1.5 or drop it down a bit ? And What is the difference between core and cpu that I see in hwmonitor ? when you told me it shouldnt go over 55c, wich one are you talking about, cus they arent at the same temp

Last edited:
nb voltage 1.25, forgot to change ram voltage tho, but it worked at least.

Attachments

• 250x14nb2250.jpg
    250x14nb2250.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 32
I would not go up on your vcore any more as under load it is 1.52. Get what overclock you can get on this voltage. Oh, I suppose one more smidgen of vcore would be okay.

The 55c temp was referring to the core temp. Core temp is the calculated temp of the processor itself. "CPU" temp as it's used in HWMonitor and most temp monitoring software is the temp of the CPU socket area of the motherboard. The one exception I know of to this nomenclature convention is the little program CoreTemp which uses "CPU temp" to mean core temp.

When you think you have reached "the wall" with your overclocking then run a longer Prime95 stress test to confirm stability - at least two hours - and then make final adjustments if necessary.

awesome, I realy apreciate the time you took to help me ! I learned a lot :thup:

oh, I have one last question that Is more general, how do you know if it would hapen to be a psu that is not strong enough that would cause a crash ?

A a good quality 500w PSU would be plenty to cover the power needs of your system, if its working properly. How old is your PSU? Are you still getting crashes?

the psu in my sig is new, only change is a second gtx 460 so im now sure if its now a possibility. And yes, I cant go over 14x250

Those Athlon II Propus cores top out in about that range of overclock. Some will go a little higher. There are subtle variations in the CPU manufacturing process from time to time and there is variation in the purity of the silicone that is used between production runs so what you are finding as your max overclock is not out of range for that CPU. Your particular CPU is just not a "cherry".

I have an Athlon II Propus 630 that tops out at 3.5 on reasonable voltage. In addition to the CPU itself there are many variables in the quality of the other components such as PSU, motherboard and ram. Top end electronic components produce steady, clean electronic signals with low ripple. All these things affect the outcome of an overclock to some degree.

I would say that if your PSU were underpowered you would have obvious evidence with gross instability, shutdowns. ect. Here is an inexpensive purchase I would suggest. Every computer enthusiast should consider this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001

With two GTX 560s you might be on the edge with a 650W PSU and it might shorten the life of the PSU. I would look at 750W if you upgrade.

Coolermaster is not known as a high quality PSU maker. That might be the next purchase to consider. Go with Antec, Corsair or Seasonic.

Last edited:
Back