• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help overclocking the amd phenom II x6 1100t black edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dmckinney5

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk
Mobo: M5A99FX pro r2.0
CPU: amd phenom II x6 1100t BE
Ram: G. Skill 2x4 gb 1600
PSU: corsair 850
GPU: ati radeon hd 5850
Cooler: asetek 510lc water cooler
1 toshiba 256gb ssd
2 x WD 500gb hdd

i have tried everything to get this cpu above 3.8 to no avail. i am not sure if it is a ram timing issue or what but when i try to take it above 3.8 windows boots for 1 second then pc restarts. once i was able to get it to 4.0 but a simple game like csgo would make it crash and reboot after 2 minutes of game time. all temps seem to be fine idle 30-32 load 40-50. any help would be greatly appreciated.

cpuz 1.PNG hwmonitor.PNG cpuz 2.PNG cpuz 3.PNG

Last edited:
3.8 is probably the upper limit for that CPU, and I wonder if it's stable there. Have you stress tested yet? What are your temps?

i have stressed it and max load temps were 45-55c. i have heard of many getting this to 4.0 and higher with ease and i followed their instructions to no avail. thanks in advance to everyones input here always enjoy the threads here.

i edited my original post to include my storage devices as well doubt it will be anymore helpful but want to be thorough

i have stressed it and max load temps were 45-55c. i have heard of many getting this to 4.0 and higher with ease and i followed their instructions to no avail. thanks in advance to everyones input here always enjoy the threads here.

Those Phenom chips love voltage. Wouldn't be a surprise to see 1.6v or more to achieve 4200mhz or better.

What program have you stressed it with? Most of use on this forum do not consider a cpu stable untill it can pass 2 hours prime blend. Are you trying to just jump to 4.0 from 3.8? If so you're better off, if you are stable at 3.8, trying to find stability at 3.9 first. Not all chips are the same so you may just have one that will not do 4.0 on ambient cooling, though that will remain to be seen.

i have run a 2 hour blend test and it is stable at 3.8. i have tried 3.9 and the pc has trouble even booting. is 1.6v too high? or will i be safe at that voltage. also does everything else in my screenshots seem to be adequate.

For everyday yes 1.6v is too high for the 1100T , did you happen to take a SS of HWMonitor while stress testing? That would tell us your temps. Once you hit 55c on the cores you're pretty much done.

Try putting a couple of small fans on the VRM heatsink the socket is a bit warm likely due to you having a AIO H2O heatsink. Normall this area would have air blowing over it from a Air heatsink but doesn't because of the H2O unit. If you can also grab a thin 120mm fan such as a Scythe Slipstream and mount it on the rightside case panel. Getting air on the VRM and also the socket area of the motherboard will likely help get the Cpu temp closer to the package temp.

Edit ^^ beat me to it :p ^^

Oh that cpu temp is a little warm. If you can put a fan on the VRM section (to the left of the cpu socket), that may help bring that Cpu temp lower. I just think that cpu socket area is a little on the warm side. Can actively cool the chipset as well.

Other than that, you may have the head room for 4ghz with that chip. As suggested, push the OC a little further, perhaps just a couple clicks on the reference clock (200-202 ie) and keep testing stability. Just give it a touch of voltage, sometimes two.... when you run into a snag.

You can lower a touch of heat and add a touch of stability by keeping NB and HT near their stock values of 2000mhz. You "can" oc these, but the gains are minimal when cpu performance trumps all. So you can look for stability here as well.

thanks alot for all the input guys. i do have a slot to install fan on backside of the motherboard which i am sure will help. i will try all your suggestions and get back with results.

thanks alot for all the input guys. i do have a slot to install fan on backside of the motherboard which i am sure will help. i will try all your suggestions and get back with results.

NP ... I failed to mention Ram OC while using Reference clock. If you hit a snag at 210 reference clock, you can up the ram voltage to 1.65v and see if that helps it fly. If not, you can try a 2T command rate manually. Other than that, you have some pretty loose timings at 800mhz, so I don't think you should have an issue.

Get one or two for the VRM section, I have both that case and a similar motherboard M5A99X Evo, the Vrm section really heats up on that board when pushed. I mounted a 80mm fan on my Vrm with zip ties and it worked well. Additionally the case needs a thin on the right side panel, the specs say up to 18mm thickness. I use a 120x12mm Scythe slipstream as mentioned in my last post.

Your core voltage will need to be increased if you are to make progress. 1.5-1.525 vcore would be all I would be comfortable with 24/7. And it is true your CPU (socket/VRM area) temps are marginal and increasing vcore will drive that up more. When this temp exceeds about 60c you can expect instability to set in. One of the drawbacks of water cooling is that there is no air turbulence in the socket area like there would be with an air cooler. So more cooling is in order for that area. 50mm spot fans attached to the heatsinks with double-sided adhesive strips works well. Stick them on the fan hub base. Take the fan labels off first, however because their glue will let go. That board has large heat sinks that lend themselves well to attaching small spot fans via double-sided adhesive. You can get it at any hardware store.

I'm thinking you should be able to get 3.9 stable on this CPU but not sure you will see 4.0 ghz. These chips are all different in their overclocking potential. Many will do 4.0 and even a little more but not all of them. It's a great CPU nonetheless. What's your case ventilation like?

Where did you get this CPU? Not many of those babies around anymore.

dmckinney5, you will probably get better results if you employ both the multiplier and the FSB in your overclocking. Right now you are using only the multiplier to speed up the CPU. We know from experience that using both multiplier and FSB yields better results in overclocking. But it is a more complex way of doing it because raising the FSB also increases other dependent frequencies such as the HT LInk, the CPU/NB and RAM. Those variables would need to be independently manipulated to keep them within stable parameters as you increase the FSB.

Last edited:
Your core voltage will need to be increased if you are to make progress. 1.5-1.525 vcore would be all I would be comfortable with 24/7. And it is true your CPU (socket/VRM area) temps are marginal and increasing vcore will drive that up more. When this temp exceeds about 60c you can expect instability to set in. One of the drawbacks of water cooling is that there is no air turbulence in the socket area like there would be with an air cooler. So more cooling is in order for that area. 50mm spot fans attached to the heatsinks with double-sided adhesive strips works well. Stick them on the fan hub base. Take the fan labels off first, however because their glue will let go. That board has large heat sinks that lend themselves well to attaching small spot fans via double-sided adhesive. You can get it at any hardware store.

I'm thinking you should be able to get 3.9 stable on this CPU but not sure you will see 4.0 ghz. These chips are all different in their overclocking potential. Many will do 4.0 and even a little more but not all of them. It's a great CPU nonetheless. What's your case ventilation like?

Where did you get this CPU? Not many of those babies around anymore.

dmckinney5, you will probably get better results if you employ both the multiplier and the FSB in your overclocking. Right now you are using only the multiplier to speed up the CPU. We know from experience that using both multiplier and FSB yields better results in overclocking. But it is a more complex way of doing it because using raising the FSB also increases other dependent frequencies such as the HT LInk, the CPU/NB and RAM. Those variables would need to be independently manipulating to keep them within stable parameters as you increase the FSB.

i have had this cpu for about 5 years i am just starting to do some upgrades to my old pc new motherboard is one. also a ssd finally and wow at the speed increase with an ssd. should have done that upgrade years ago lol

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk
Mobo: M5A99FX pro r2.0
CPU: amd phenom II x6 1100t BE
Ram: G. Skill 2x4 gb 1600
PSU: corsair 850
GPU: ati radeon hd 5850
Cooler: asetek 510lc water cooler
1 toshiba 256gb ssd
2 x WD 500gb hdd

i have tried everything to get this cpu above 3.8 to no avail. i am not sure if it is a ram timing issue or what but when i try to take it above 3.8 windows boots for 1 second then pc restarts. once i was able to get it to 4.0 but a simple game like csgo would make it crash and reboot after 2 minutes of game time. all temps seem to be fine idle 30-32 load 40-50. any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 160405View attachment 160404View attachment 160406View attachment 160407

Hey, I know this thread is really old but did you ever get this to 4GHZ? I think I have a definite idea of what is going on with your system as I ran into the same thing OCing my 1100T. Before I write it up though I thought I would see if you still have any interest, solved this or moved onto something else. Let me know.

Hey, I know this thread is really old but did you ever get this to 4GHZ? I think I have a definite idea of what is going on with your system as I ran into the same thing OCing my 1100T. Before I write it up though I thought I would see if you still have any interest, solved this or moved onto something else. Let me know.

I have not yet got this cpu to stay at a stable 4.0 or higher. any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Back