• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help picking a Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oo7josh

Ive decided on the Intel Core i7-3770K and was wondering what a good motherboard would be for it. I want to be able to run 3 monitors so im not sure if ill have to go with 2 Graphics cards or if i can do it with 1. I am going to be using this rig for a little gaming but mostly 3D modeling in Solidworks and a few other programs then a little video editing. I want to overclock so idk if you need a special board for that or not. This is my first build from scratch so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

A solid board at a correct price could be a Asus P8Z77-V ( normal, no LX, LK, LE ). Very solid, good at OCing, lots of features.

Lower price , Asrock Z77 Xtrem 4 ( or 3, even lower price ). Good boards at good price.

GPU now, any GTX6xx series card will run up to 4 monitor. If your 3d prog support Cuda, wich i think it is, A GTX650ti or ti boost could be a very good pick for the price.

If you want to overclock, which i know is a lot of fun, and you will push your 3770K to the limits like i did with mine at first, i suggest the MSI Mpower Big Bang Z77 :) Or perhaps an Asrock Extreme 4/6. And for GPU's you should be fine with a 7970/7970ghz edition, and if you don't find the performance good enough for you you can always crossfire :)

An Asrock Extreme4/6 will allow any OC with a 3770k under regular cooling (air or water).

Regarding the GPU's, first thing to do is to check what brand suits the best the softwares you use. Often, 3d modeling are optimized for nVidia cards (using CUDA technology), as was the AdobeCS until version 6 (now supporting AMD Radeon's).

Edit: any last generation card, from either AMD or nVidia, supports 3 monitors.

Last edited:
I tried 2 Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 boards and both has issues making me return them. I am now running my MSI Z77A GD65, it is one of the best boards I have ever bought. VERY easy to OC, with the Microcenter bundle and sales they had at the time, it was under $100.

Back