• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Need help picking motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flyingantman

hello im flyingantman and im new to the forums

as u can see i need help picking a motherboard out for my computer

i am basically going to take everything out of my pc and replace it

the only think im keeping is my 750 watt power supply, cd drive, and hard drive

i am going to buy these items

x2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8&cm_re=radeon_hd_5770-_-14-102-858-_-Product

x1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145304

x1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=amd_phenom_2_x4-_-19-103-809-_-Product

so as u can see i need 2 pci express x16 slots for my graphix cards

also i would like 2 have 6 usb ports and 2 ethernet ports

im planning on overclocking

plz send me any suggestions you guys might have

also i would like to keep it less then 200 dollars but if that cant b done just send me anything :D

last thing if u have any sudjestions other than the above upgrades feel free to list some (links plz :bday:)

@EarthDog thx for the tip i think ill do that

@k88 great motherboard man just wut i was looking for and all i have to do is get a cheap ethernet pci card

He wants dual cards and there is only a single onboard nic with this mb. I own two of these mb and have 955BE on both. I have one of them up to 3.8ghz right now. When I take the CPU-NB up to 2600 for some reason I have to take the HT down to 1800 in order to get it to run stable. Xokeman has the same board with the 965 and is able to get 2000 on the HT with the CPU-NB at 2600 so I don't know if this is an issue with my mb or me (new to OC'ing) and I am still trying to work the bugs out to get it stable at the higher HT even though I really don't need it that high and it shows no performance hit with a single card when benchmarking.

As k88 said you will need a good cpu cooler to get higher OC's, at 26C ambient and using the D-14 my temps will get to around 48C under full load. If you go the D-14 route the heat pipes will touch the VRM heatsink but it will sit flat on the cpu and keep it cooled. Also you will need to keep in mind what direction you want the fan from the cooler to blow the air, on the AMD it's not always going to point out the back depending on what type of mount system comes with the cooler, There are several article's about this on here. The D-14 does point out the back but the NH-U12P points up, you can get a free mount from Noctua to change the orientation of the U12 to make it point towards the back if that is the way you want it to mount. With some of the coolers out there you have to watch about it getting in the way of the RAM heatsink if you get them that have it (mine don't so there is no issue).

HAFD14CM1.jpg

Last edited:
Simply tell us your overall budget!

I agree, do not crossfire midrange cards. Buy a good one, and when you have the cast, buy another one. Thats what im doing too... I could buy right now, but no need really. Besides, you should not go Biostar... ASUS - Gigabyte

i have about 950 dollars

but the cpu is going to take 140 off of that

the hard drive will now take 85
(changed my mind to this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...n_Digital_Cavair_Black-_-22-136-533-_-Product)

if i have to buy ram it will cost me 80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0161279&cm_re=4gb_ddr3-_-20-161-279-_-Product

the gpu will be 280
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&AID=10446076&PID=3754110&SID=skim1132X509988

the cpu cooler will b 60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&AID=10446076&PID=3754110&SID=skim1132X509988

so im left with about 300 dollars

Besides, you should not go Biostar...

This is the first time I have used Biostar boards and I have been happy with them. I have used Asus, Abit, MSI, Foxconn and a host of others in the past. Could you give a reason for not using the Biostar? do you have experience with this board?

Yeah,
Why dont you OC to 4.0 - 4.1Ghz? You have like the best CPU cooler there is. I have install couple of BIOSTAR. They do not overclock well and the build feels cheap... Anyway its my opinion (ive know people who are happy with them, but they dont OC), As for myself, i would go MSI before BIOSTAR... They only reason why i would suggest this brand its if your into the unlock hidden core thingy, BIOSTAR have the lead... OHHHH and i forgot, what about RAM compatibility with AMD.

What is your ram speed and timmings? Can you oc them or?

I haven't gone to 4.0 because I don't want to go that high and add the additional heat load. Also as I stated I am NEW to OC'ing and still working on it.

I asked if you had experience with THIS board. I am not telling him to buy this board I am letting him know the experience I have had with it so far.

For the price, its a good motherboard, but if your into OCing, it might not be the better option. How can you will have to much heat, Look at my temps, and i dont have a dual fan crazy 200 hundred dollars cooler, :p + you have a nice cable management!
@Flyingantman how much money are you willing to spend?

Devourment I understand why you say some of the boards you recommend they have a good reputation. I have had my best results using Asus boards overall, but that's not to say other brands don't make good boards. I just don't play fanboy when it comes to picking a product and I never said that Biostar is going to do any better or worse than any other boards mentioned. Also the D-14 isn't $200 shipped it comes in around $90. I did the fast way to get up to 3.8 and did a 8 hour test to see if the cpu was stable, I plan on going back and trying to use the FSB to OC some rather than just pushing up the multiplier, at that point I will take another look at things and if I like what I see I will then try for 4.0, Again NEW to OC'ing so I am working my way up.

I had planned on going with the gigabyte board you have in your sig when I built this system but I had to upgrade my son's system at the same time so I had to work within a budget to do this, Biostar offered me the most for the least so I went that route and have been very happy with the way it has performed.

I was joking with the 200$ thing, i know how much they are... As i said, its my opinion, im not saying u made a bad buy. Im not a Gigabyte fanboy, its only my second. Ive use about everything beside BIOSTAR. Ive only installed a couple of them (yes the TA890FXE). I guess if your on a budget build, its a good option. But you need to think future. Will Biostar will be on the rush/dot to upgrade their BIOS for the Bulldozers, will the provide support, etc. Im not saying its a bad board, im saying if you can spend a bit more, ill go with another brand, thats all

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128441 i think this is the best 890fx board on the market (besides the overpriced E atx gigabyte)
also friends dont let friends buy thermaltake dont get that cooler.
read around the cooling section of the forums you will see that the thermalright true rev.c is recommended also the noctua d14 and megahalems
also good choice of HDD
but i think you should go with the 5870 over the 470. the 5870 is less power hungry and not as hot. and is a oc beast.

thankyou prune candy for the suggestion thank god

all i asked for is some sudggestions not a debate

dont rly mind but all i wanted was a bunch of ideas to choose from and i pick the best one

Flyingantman you where simply given options on different boards. Some have had good/bad luck with about any board manufacturer out there. As far as me and Devourment went we had different results with the same board and it was nothing more than that, both of us where just pointing out our views, with a search you will find these views on any board out there.

Now also with the Biostar you don't get USB3 and you wont get the second onboard nic that you are looking for.

Back